Kirby Allison appreciation thread

Kingstonian

Kingstonian

‘How to smoke a cigar at Davidoff, London.’

I look forward to the video of Kirby and Waynetta Slob discussing cigarettes. What, what, what!

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
‘How to smoke a cigar at Davidoff, London.’
If you watch that video will see Kirby come up with a posturing of a high grade movie star. It is about 2/3 of the way through (I think) and he talks about having a cigar with friends blah blah. The way he does it is brilliant and is his best moment on youtube by far. His words are measured and hits the right tone. It's his golden moment.

Journeyman

Supporter
If you watch that video will see Kirby come up with a posturing of a high grade movie star. It is about 2/3 of the way through (I think) and he talks about having a cigar with friends blah blah. The way he does it is brilliant and is his best moment on youtube by far.
It's gone beyond mere satire. I'm increasingly convinced that it's some sort of performance art project.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
It's gone beyond mere satire. I'm increasingly convinced that it's some sort of performance art project.
Yes.

and ole Kirbs models his $700 bespoke Wil Whiting casual shirts. See from about 14:46 - end.

and of course the classic overcoat scene. Quite similar to the dramatic Huntsman scene.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Despite Kirby talking about gemming failure at John Lobb and knowing about how hand welted is a life long construction, he still continues to avoid this subject completely when talking about hand welted shoes. He seems to be very selective in the information he gives. Same goes with leather outsoles, he recently mentioned the word "Bakers" but usually avoids that word like the plague. Kirby can be like a news program, he can give you part of the story/information but not the full information because he leaves important parts out. I wonder why he avoids mentioning certain things.

Last edited:

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Looks like Kirby is not on speaking terms with Cleverley anymore. I am not really surprised.

Kingstonian

He’s a funny one, sitting there in a white shirt without even removing his jacket and then polishing shoes.

It is not exactly a great video either so I would not bother to repeat the exercise.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Wasn’t he a Cleverley shill? He must have more than 10 pairs from them. What happened?
That mob have lost a lot of friends in recent years, and for good reason. Their top last maker and various top shoemakers have also jumped ship. These excellent craftsmen had so much integrity in their work that they had no option but to get out imo, they were the smart ones.

Looks like Kirby has finally woken up to a few cold realities too, he was always naive. Lots of people have. The firm is different now, and many want nothing to do with them anymore.

Yes, Kirby has 10 pairs and he promoted the firm, but that doesn't earn respect or friendship, he would be considered `small fry' with no pull with the firm. The firm have this society shoemaker image that they trade off, and they aggressively pursue business, and they certainly don't need Kirby. Sadly some people in the firm are running it into the ground IMO, they are businessmen, but lack integrity, and their lack of professionalism is earning the firm a bad name with numerous clients. Numerous people are glad to see the back of them. I won't go into the dirty talk.

Top Bottom