Let's Talk About Denim

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
Jeff Bezos enters the selvidge mid-rise denim field;
1% elastane. No rivets. Made in India. Cheap buttons and zippers. Not raw as reviews say they are very soft and shoe evidence of being pre-washed

10 ounce is lightweight.

You are better off paying $30 for Unbranded, Brave Star or some of the other entry level decent quality raw selvedge denim.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Thruth: can you recommend a weekend pair of jeans for me. Under $100, neat, dark denim and I don’t care about fades, comfortable and not all starchy, selvedge not important, mid-weight, rise isn’t too important since I won’t be tucking anything into them. Slim straight fit.

Basic Gustin or N&F Weird Guy .... what else?

Last edited:

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
Thruth: can you recommend a weekend pair of jeans for me. Under $100, neat, dark denim and I don’t care about fades, comfortable and not all starchy, selvedge not important, mid-weight, rise isn’t too important since I won’t be tucking anything into them. Slim straight fit.

Basic Gustin or Nudie Weird Guy .... what else?
naked and famous - just around 100. frequently on sale
apc - slightly over 100
levi's on sale - often run 40% off.
brave star - made in usa good quality for under $100. not familiar with their quality first hand though: https://bravestarselvage.com/collections/selvedge-denim-jeans
edwin - popular online for low cost.
japan blue - probably the cheapest of the japanese imported brands.

cheaper ones i wasnt impressed with, mostly because of the fit:

goodfellow by target
uniqlo
gap
unbranded

of the ones i didnt like i'd say unbranded had the best construction and quality by far.

Last edited:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I haven't bought raw denim for a long time, but I do think N&F is the best bang for the buck.
That vanity sizing bullshit pisses me off. Looking at the various size charts, it looks like 30” Weird Guy is about the same as 32” Gustin straight.

Pauly Chase

Hip Dairy Farmer
Supporter
I have two pairs of Weird Guy, I actually went TTS, they aren's as slim in the waist if you just a little athletic.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter

Basic Gustin or N&F Weird Guy .... what else?
Give Brave Star a shot. They are really well made. They have a sale on right now under $100. The have some raw cone mills denim still but just go with the sanforized ones unless you want to mess around with soaking. I really like the ones I got. Website has good measurement charts for finding your fit.

Top Bottom