Let's Talk About Denim

I am sitting here in my custom made LSuxire Jeans. Although I am not yet a fully qualified jeans scientist I am happy with my purchase and the making. Around $120aud - had a few iGentish requests/tweaks which they fulfilled well. Got them yesterday so haven't washed them to see dye leak, shrinkage etc etc but so far veri veri good. I think I could recommend to forum idiots.

They are raw?

No I got the 13 oz Dark Indigo
http://luxire.com/collections/pants-sorted-by-price/products/luxire-selvedge-custom-jeans

I got high rise, made sure watch pocket was wide and deep enough to get coins and fingers in, had extra loops on waist, had belt buckle prong loop on front, high back pockets and double stitching (same as inside) on outside seam.
Took about a month from order to delivery. In the mean time they emailed me back querying the back rise and thigh measurements as it didn't "compute" to normal. I explained I have no real bum sticking out and thighs like chickens insteps and that thighs were usually too baggy on me, and I had adjusted off a existing good fit - they agreed and I think we adjusted thighs out by 1/2 inch. I thought the email query was a good customer /quality move - so didn't mind any delay. Anyway I don't think rushing MTM/custom orders makes any sense.

edit: 12.5” front rise - 16.5” rear rise. Knee Measurement: 9.25 - Bottom Measure: 8.00

Nit picks: I would have liked colour to be a bit more Blue Jean - its dark - (As in description!!!!) but it might get lighter blue with a few washes. I would have liked stitching to be a brighter and thicker orange colour as opposed to the kind of yellow it is. But these are really designer choices not quality. Next time I'd go for the heavier denim - but its not a big issue at all. I'm probably a bit odd (no smart comments please) in denim jeans these days as the thing I like about jeans - is when they are washed and improve and look CLEAN. So I wash jeans regularly.

Last edited:
No I got the 13 oz Dark Indigo
http://luxire.com/collections/pants-sorted-by-price/products/luxire-selvedge-custom-jeans

I got high rise, made sure watch pocket was wide and deep enough to get coins and fingers in, had extra loops on waist, had belt buckle prong loop on front, high back pockets and double stitching (same as inside) on outside seam.
Took about a month from order to delivery. In the mean time they emailed me back querying the back rise and thigh measurements as it didn't "compute" to normal. I explained I have no real bum sticking out and thighs like chickens insteps and that thighs were usually too baggy on me, and I had adjusted off a existing good fit - they agreed and I think we adjusted thighs out by 1/2 inch. I thought the email query was a good customer /quality move - so didn't mind any delay. Anyway I don't think rushing MTM/custom orders makes any sense.

Was going to ask if you got the frog mouth pockets as one option! Be interested to see how the first wash and shrinkage goes.

What front rise did you end up with?

How long will you wear them before first wash?

A few months ago I due to serendipity on a few days - I was nearby to several of the hipster Japanese high denim boutiques in Melbourne - so had a chance to try most brands on, Sugarcane, APC, Naked & Famous, ACNE, 3 sixteen etc etc plus loads of Japanese and USA denim - none under $200 and some over $400 - most fitted just bloody awful. Not just on me probably on anyone. The cuts were crazy on some.

Plus the advice I got was just short of fucking stupid on some - ie + "You have to buy 1.5" too small waist as they will stretch" - The how the fuck am I supposed to wear them until they stretch? - "You'll have to buy 1.5" too big in waist as they will shrink" - and "Don't wash them for 6 months" - wtf

Plus almost all of them were like getting into a suit of metal armour - - some - and I'm not using hyperbole here - stood up by themselves!!! in the shop.

Was going to ask if you got the frog mouth pockets as one option! Be interested to see how the first wash and shrinkage goes.

What front rise did you end up with?

How long will you wear them before first wash?

I'ma big fan of frogmouth pockets - they are not that unusual here as R M Williams always used them on their moleskins which in some rural areas are as ubiquitous as the RMW boots. I have a few pair of Borelli dress trousers with frog mooth and a fair few pairs of Australian moleskins etc with frog mouth. I like them on dress trousers too. I think frogmouth - or variations - probably are best pockets to use on flat front trousers.

Plus the advice I got was just short of fucking stupid on some - ie + "You have to buy 1.5" too small waist as they will stretch" - The how the fuck am I supposed to wear them until they stretch? - "You'll have to buy 1.5" too big in waist as they will shrink" - and "Don't wash them for 6 months" - wtf

This x 1000000.

:vomithate:

"You have to buy 1.5" too small waist as they will stretch" - The how the fuck am I supposed to wear them until they stretch?
this was probably from APC. they're known for their horseshit when it comes to denim. see the threads on SF from back in the day about them.

"You'll have to buy 1.5" too big in waist as they will shrink"
was this for a shrink-to-fit pair?

"Don't wash them for 6 months"
this is sage advice.

i think i know what heartbreak feels like after reading this. its like my heart just died on me.
Grand Potentate Grand Potentate - you will be pleased to hear I washed my new unJeans from Suxire after 3 or 4 wears. My usual washing method - machine on delicates, cold wash, hang outside on clothesline to dry.

I've put them on now- definitely a bit tighter on waist but nothing too mad - length I don't know - I got them about 3" too long as I will get them taken up after a few washes. Colour hasn't changed much - its still darker than I'd like but we'll see how they fade. I might do an accelerated washing program.

I like my jeans to look a bit like this:
Luxire_Jeans_with_slub_dots1_1024x1024.jpg

At the moment they look more like this:
tumblr_ntzw9luA3Z1spx5p5o1_540_1024x1024.jpeg

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate - you will be pleased to hear I washed my new unJeans from Suxire after 3 or 4 wears. My usual washing method - machine on delicates, cold wash, hang outside on clothesline to dry.

I've put them on now- definitely a bit tighter on waist but nothing too mad - length I don't know - I got them about 3" too long as I will get them taken up after a few washes. Colour hasn't changed much - its still darker than I'd like but we'll see how they fade. I might do an accelerated washing program.

I like my jeans to look a bit like this:
View attachment 18674

At the moment they look more like this:
View attachment 18675
Don't wash them again

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate the Dungeon Dwelling Censor - my Newest/Bestest Jeans
My Lsuxire unJeans on left and SuperDry Mystery Model on right.
Superdry after about 6 washes over 2 months. Luxire after 3 washes in 2 weeks. Luxire probably done shrunking and ready to get taken up at alterationist - Superdry about right length - will take small turnup or wear like a normal grown up person without turnup - about the right, new, but clearly clean and blue, colour. Luxire still a bit dark but hey a lot of the young folks seem to like that.
1.jpg
2lux.jpg
3sd.jpg
4.jpg

Are you happy with Supredry quality? i quite like their saharian and harrington look alike.

On the denim related note, i just bought a pair of Timberland raw denim. Nice looking jeans of cheap quality denim. I like the fact that they in the french side of the label they use the word brut, like in champagne and no raw....

Are you happy with Supredry quality? i quite like their saharian and harrington look alike.
On the denim related note, i just bought a pair of Timberland raw denim. Nice looking jeans of cheap quality denim. I like the fact that they in the french side of the label they use the word brut, like in champagne and no raw....
I got the Superdry given to me NWT but strangely nothing on them indicates what model they are or anything. And the person who gave them has No Idea. I am no Denim Scientist but they seem good to me - if a bit over tailored for jeans - by that I mean they have a lined, curtain waistband inside and some cotton lining up top inside and a few other "trousers" details. They are pretty high rise and if I could find out what they are I'd certainly buy them. Depending on price.

edit: I went into the local superdry shop here but couldn't make any sense of the styles they had on display. I might take these jeans in in a plastic shopping bag and show them and ask. Although going on the look of the shop people - I'll be lucky to get a shrug and a grunt. Still I'm sure they'll love an old granddad coming in with their jeans in a plastic bag. " Call the marketing/brand people - this old fucker is devaluing our brand FFS don't let him take them away and wear them"

Last edited:
bloke down at local Sunday market will make to size while you wait with choice of buckle for aud $20. Probably not quite as good as those but pretty bloody close and just right for jeans. I'm uming and erring about getting a slightly wider belt for the jeans and also one with my old souvenir Coors belt buckle, with bottle opener on reverse, on it.
db5468d53035223e1fccb7600321ec94.jpg

Scott is a fantastic belt maker. I had one of his original belts off of StyFo when he first started there. If I hadn't broken it I bet it would still be in use.

He does a nice job. He is one of the few beltmakers - along with Hollows Leather & some Japanese RTW belts - that does the teardrop holes

Melbourne Sharpies - early 70s. High rise jeans.
sharpies-1960s-70s-3.jpg
sharpies-1960s-70s-18.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39714301

Clothing firm Nordstrom castigated for $425 mud-coated jeans

_95788397_mediaitem95788396.jpg

A US clothing company has been mocked on social media for selling a pair of $425 (£330; €390) jeans complete with "crackled, caked-on muddy coating".

The jeans are described on Nordstrom's website as typifying "rugged, Americana workwear" and "hard-working action".

But critics on Facebook are scathing of what the company describes as its new design of "heavily distressed" jeans.

"You can achieve the same look for a lot less by rolling in your backyard or gardening," one commentator said.

The company says the jeans are made with muddy coating "that shows you're not afraid to get down and dirty".

Damning
Among those to join the chorus of Facebook criticism of what Nordstrom calls its Barracuda Straight Leg Jeans is Discovery Channel Dirty Jobs presenter Mike Rowe who described them as "looking like they have been worn by someone with a dirty job" but "made for people who don't."

_95788763_635821f2-a2c1-4cf6-b3fc-9f6e277187d2.jpg
Image copyrightNORSTROM
Image captionNordstrom says the jeans are made for with specially applied muddy coating "that shows you're not afraid to get down and dirty"
"The Barracuda Straight Leg Jeans aren't pants," Mr Rowe wrote.

"They're a costume for wealthy people who see work as ironic - not iconic."

_95788393_031dfa86-beea-4c3d-83cc-a47a1851c992.jpg

Mr Rowe's followers on Facebook were equally damning of the jeans - made for Nordstrom by New York-based luxury denim brand PRPS.

_95788767_4a20972d-1914-48fa-b4af-c3c1bb719193.jpg

"Give me your jeans, and for a mere 200 bucks, I'll one-of-a-kind customise them for you... You can choose from horse barn mucker, chicken coop builder, tractor grease, potters clay... $600 and I'll let one of the goats chew a hole on the leg," one contributor said.

But not everyone was dismissive of the new jeans.

"What's the beef about buying mud jeans?" one commentator on Twitter said.

"If someone can afford $400 for a pair of dirty jeans, so what? Go for it!"

Last month Nordstrom advertised another unusual pair of trousers in the form of jeans with "knee windows" on its website - but for a far cheaper $95 (£74; €87) .

Genius guerilla marketing. How many 'normal' overpriced designer jeans will Nordstrom sell following all this extra traffic and publicity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom