Mens sandals

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Eventhough the famous shoemaking firms have always made sandals, l have never had a good collection of summer shoes for really hot days. For many years l searched for a goodyear welted sandal without finding anything, but l always thought that a good shoe collection must include some good quality sandals for those really hot days.

For now l am going to purchase the Crockett & Jones sandal at my local store. I will snag it tomorrow because these are difficult to come by. They may not be my favourite footwear, but for hot nights and casual days these will be a welcome addition to my collection. 2 pairs of sandals and a couple of pairs of mesh shoes is just about right to fill a collection. I would only wear sandals on the hottest of days, so maybe 15 - 20 days a year.

Crockett & Jones sandals
Crockett & Jones sandals 1.jpg Crockett & Jones sandals 2.jpg

Of course my sandals will have combination heel and have the soles stitched on, and of course they will have shoe trees.
Cheaney sandal.jpg

Edward Green sandals - make the nicest pairs
Edward Green sandals.jpg

Church's sandals (not so nice)
Church's sandals.jpg

Grenson sandals
Grenson sandals 1.jpg

Cheaney sandals
Cheaney sandal 1.jpg Cheaney sandal 2.jpg

Vass sandals (have wanted these for years).
Vass sandals 1.jpg
Vass sandals 2.jpg Vass sandals 3.jpg

John Lobb sandals
John Lobb sandal 1.jpg

John Lobb St James bespoke sandal
for those who don't mind sandals costing many thousands of dollars.
John Lobb london bespoke sandal.jpg

Edward Green alligator sandal - for those who have 10K + to spare on a sandal.
Edward Green alligator sandal.png

Anyone have sandals, what are your thoughts?

Prefer not to hear comments about sandals being girly (mary janes) and being for peasants etc, but l suspect l will probably get those comments anyway. 😃

regards,
The Shooman

Last edited:
Some time ago I got a pair of proper Jesus ones in brown, pretty similar to those. They were ~100€ and a trial pair as I've never been fond of the feeling on my feet. They've prooved very comfortable during warm days and look well enough with shorts, granted you've had a pedicure and your feet have seen some light beforehand. Not for long distance walking or driving your car, but during holidays or at home they have served me well.
sandali-uomo-in-cuoio-fatti-a-mano-in-italia-in-pelle-nero.jpg

The Church's one are pretty nice in person and look far more comfortable than the others. I fail to see how many of these would be much different comapred to normal shoes, espacially as you'd have to break them in to go barefoot.

Some of those are fine sandals. Menswear eschews sandals but that is too restrictive as there are sandals, and there are sandals. As long is it essentially covers the toes, it can be elegant.

I keep meaning to get one but size is an issue as the usual makers don't make in bigger sizes. I contacted C&J a while back but they don't have any in my size and I can't justify exorbitant sum on a sandal so for now I stick to espadrilles:

Bespoke Imai Hiroki:
1587733301477.png

Grenson
1587733765421.png
:

Paul Smith
1587732839273.png

1587733425693.png
Lobb1:

John Lobb 2:
1587733080614.png

Materna:
1587733163301.png

Last edited:
For a time, we had to wear sandals inside the school buildings and change into outdoor shoes at break time. The idea was to minimise damage to school floors. This involved shoe bags and lots of kids changing in the cloakrooms. The idea was eventually dropped.

I had a pal who used to wear tweed jackets and sandals virtually all year round. He was an exceptionally bright but eccentric Oxbridge type.

Eventhough the famous shoemaking firms have always made sandals, l have never had a good collection of summer shoes for really hot days. For many years l searched for a goodyear welted sandal without finding anything, but l always thought that a good shoe collection must include some good quality sandals for those really hot days.

For now l am going to purchase the Crockett & Jones sandal at my local store. I will snag it tomorrow because these are difficult to come by. They may not be my favourite footwear, but for hot nights and casual days these will be a welcome addition to my collection. 2 pairs of sandals and a couple of pairs of mesh shoes is just about right to fill a collection. I would only wear sandals on the hottest of days, so maybe 15 - 20 days a year.

Crockett & Jones sandals
View attachment 33545View attachment 33546

Of course my sandals will have combination heel and have the soles stitched on, and of course they will have shoe trees.
View attachment 33547

Edward Green sandals - make the nicest pairs
View attachment 33560

Church's sandals (not so nice)
View attachment 33548

Grenson sandals
View attachment 33549

Cheaney sandals
View attachment 33551View attachment 33552

Vass sandals (have wanted these for years).
View attachment 33553
View attachment 33554View attachment 33555

John Lobb sandals
View attachment 33557

John Lobb St James bespoke sandal
for those who don't mind sandals costing many thousands of dollars.
View attachment 33558

Edward Green alligator sandal - for those who have 10K + to spare on a sandal.
View attachment 33561

Anyone have sandals, what are your thoughts?

Prefer not to hear comments about sandals being girly (mary janes) and being for peasants etc, but l suspect l will probably get those comments anyway. 😃

regards,
The Shooman

Sorry The Shooman The Shooman , they all look like women's shoes you see at Goodwill. But as our friend Walker would say: horses for courses & YMMV.

and l will be wearing socks with my sandals. It can be done right, especially with those styles of English sandals above. I remember old school teachers in their sandals and knee high socks during summer and they looked good. The art of wearing socks with sandals has been forgotten, but l am going to try to make it work. Certainly can be a nicer look than a man wearing sandals with no socks.

I think a sock and sandal look would need to pair with a more conservative look, so casual shorts and top wouldn't work. I think that is why most you see wearing socks and sandals look terrible. I remember my teachers had real traditional clothes and they pulled it off like a true man.

and l will be wearing socks with my sandals. It can be done right, especially with those styles of English sandals above. I remember old school teachers in their sandals and knee high socks during summer and they looked good. The art of wearing socks with sandals has been forgotten, but l am going to try to make it work. Certainly can be a nicer look than a man wearing sandals with no socks.

I think a sock and sandal look would need to pair with a more conservative look, so casual shorts and top wouldn't work. I think that is why most you see wearing socks and sandals look terrible. I remember my teachers had real traditional clothes and they pulled it off like a true man.

sorry shooey. unless you're trying to look like a german tourist then socks and sandals are a non-starter

Whoa, those girly-men are shockers, hopefully l won't look that bad. If that bloke in the black polo had better cut shorts and better sox he'd actually look alright.

Here's my pair. The only shop in the world that currently sells them. Knew l had to snag a pair while l could. I think l will be able to pull it off without looking like a dag.

btw, wow...I can't believe that bloke with the glasses is wearing a mini skirt. :lolguy: :are.you.serious: Most of those in the pictures make my jaw drop to the floor. Reminds me of an old bloke l see in the city; he has a gray beard and looks manly and well kept, but he wears a long frock with heels and has a handbag. A nice fella though, but that's his style.
C&J sandals - mine.jpg C&J sandals - mine 1.jpg

sorry shooey. unless you're trying to look like a german tourist then socks and sandals are a non-starter

Dunno Rambo, i've seen some pretty manly aussie blokes do the look to perfection in the old days. My grampa did it, and so did some of my school teachers. Wish l had pictures.

Dunno Rambo, i've seen some pretty manly aussie blokes do the look to perfection in the old days. My grampa did it, and so did some of my school teachers. Wish l had pictures.
yeah but we're not in the old days. times have changed and some things have just plain been left behind. sandals with socks is one of them.

yeah but we're not in the old days. times have changed and some things have just plain been left behind. sandals with socks is one of them.

you might be right Rambo, we'll see. No matter what, l can always wear my sandals around the house or to do a few messages at the local shops. It was never a footwear item l was going to wear too much.

Glad l got them, but still expensive for sandals.

I'm in the market for a pair of slip-on sandals m'self. Something light, sturdy, durable, and preferably with leather straps. Can't stand plastic against bare feet. Gets all sticky.

Hmmm any time I'd consider wearing a sandal, I'd probably just rather slip on a boat shoe or sneakers.

I remember old school teachers in their sandals and knee high socks during summer and they looked good.

I remember that look, too, but I don't remember the "looked good" part!

I also had a very eccentric classics/Renaissance English lecturer at university who wore socks with sandals, along with dress shorts and cotton shirts with long peak collars. He was originally from the southern US and still had a drawl, as well as black hair (that he probably dyed), a very pronounced widow's peak and large, black-framed glasses. He managed to get away with the look, to some extent, just because he was such an eccentric character.

Ms nags me each year to get sandals and "get comfortable"

thanks to this fine bunch of people I can now show her the C&J Sandals and when she says "Great you got sensible"

I can then tell her the price!!!!

hahahahah

Last edited:
Clark’s were the go to brand for children’s sandal. Well fitted, plantation rubber soles. A bit more expensive but worth it.

Maybe they could resurrect their sandal offering for Shooman? Make it a cult fashion item like desert boots or Wallabee. It would probably be a better option than what has been shown above.

I remember when all the schoolgirls used to wear them, and when l look at my pair they kinda look similar. :facepalm: :areyoukiddingme: I can see why sandals divide so many people, l am not a big fan of them myself, but l won't mind them on the hottest days or evenings when l am not doing anything much.

My pair have been moisturised and polished, and now they have been boxed and put away for another 7 months until summer. Would have preferred to buy them later in the year, but had to buy them immediately so l didn't miss out on a pair. I also like the idea of having a unique shoe, so few of them exist in the world.

I remember when all the schoolgirls used to wear them, and when l look at my pair they kinda look similar. :facepalm: :areyoukiddingme: I can see why sandals divide so many people, l am not a big fan of them myself, but l won't mind them on the hottest days or evenings when l am not doing anything much.

My pair have been moisturised and polished, and now they have been boxed and put away for another 7 months until summer. Would have preferred to buy them later in the year, but had to buy them immediately so l didn't miss out on a pair. I also like the idea of having a unique shoe, so few of them exist in the world.
It seems you will only have the advantage of sandals in the uppers (allowing more air to circulate). You are still going for a hard leather sole, whereas rubber would be more flexible and more comfortable in hot weather.

Clark’s were the go to brand for children’s sandal. Well fitted, plantation rubber soles. A bit more expensive but worth it.

Maybe they could resurrect their sandal offering for Shooman? Make it a cult fashion item like desert boots or Wallabee. It would probably be a better option than what has been shown above.

You're taking me down memory lane there, Kingstonian Kingstonian . Cold knees, shivering in the playground, being kicked in the shins by the school bullies. Nothing's changed, really.

You're taking me down memory lane there, Kingstonian Kingstonian . Cold knees, shivering in the playground, being kicked in the shins by the school bullies. Nothing's changed, really.
Permanent scabs on your knees from grazing them after a fall? No Elastoplast. Wounds received a quick wash in the school toilet and were then dressed by tying a cotton handkerchief around them. A more practical use for a pocket square, although for formal occasions a child would have two handkerchiefs - one for blow and one for show.

What has changed is that long trousers were a rite of passage. You were no longer a child.

Nowadays in the UK grown ups routinely wear shorts all year round - especially fat blokes and postmen.

The only boys in shorts nowadays are the Royals and Daily Mail readers berate their parents for cruelty, whereas it is more a question of not dressing the kids like proles.

Nowadays in the UK grown ups routinely wear shorts all year round - especially fat blokes and postmen.

I've noticed that on my last couple of sojourns back to Blighty. Also on the newsreels of that gangster's funeral in Manchester last week where PC Plod shit a brick and allowed the funeral and subsequent wake to go ahead without social distancing, resplendent with gun salute that caused a panic.

There's a lot of romance about the old style gangsters in England and other than the cars they now drive, it does seem rather warranted on the style front.

Permanent scabs on your knees from grazing them after a fall? No Elastoplast. Wounds received a quick wash in the school toilet and were then dressed by tying a cotton handkerchief around them. A more practical use for a pocket square, although for formal occasions a child would have two handkerchiefs - one for blow and one for show.

What has changed is that long trousers were a rite of passage. You were no longer a child.

The only boys in shorts nowadays are the Royals and Daily Mail readers berate their parents for cruelty, whereas it is more a question of not dressing the kids like proles.

Good God, yes, permanent scabs from the age of five to twelve. And a sickly yellow halo from the iodine tincture.

Kingstonian said:
You are still going for a hard leather sole, whereas rubber would be more flexible and more comfortable in hot weather.
Pthh, haven't worn a rubber sole in decades and l am not about to start now.

I've long suspected shooey of being a closet iGent.

...the closet door has just squeaked open a bit more...

chuckles..

Me an igent, BWAAA. Those guys are lily livered and I crunch their bones mate. :troll:

anyway, if the public start laughing at me l know my assessments about sandals and socks have been wrong. I'll let you know when the summer comes around.

Kingstonian said:

I remember the days...being made to wear shorts for years. Finally being allowed to wear trousers at age 15 was a rite of passage like you said. They were strict in those days, the teachers used to belt you. I remember one day half the class got strapped because they didn't finish their maths homework.

Last edited:
There is no situation in which a grown man donning socks with sandals is a good look. Akin to the AA illustrations of the gents of yesteryear in their Bermudas, OTC socks, shoes and coat and tie. They looked like tits. Some iGENTs have sought to recreate said look and they look like bigger tits.

That being said, most here live/work in relatively temperate climates. In certain parts of the world, sandals is not a big deal on men, of course there are sandals, and their sandals and situations vary.

QuandoDio said:
They looked like tits.

tits

Well, if l look like woman's boobs then l am sure people will let me know, ie they will laugh at me. Actually, if l do look like a woman's boobs l will likely know it myself. :fap: I don't want to look like a silly bugger or a woman's boob, l just wanna look like a man.

Last edited:
I’d like to see a return of shorts to the office in summer. But in the age of central AC, the days of seasonal officewear is gone. It’s 72F all the time now.

There is no situation in which a grown man donning socks with sandals is a good look. Akin to the AA illustrations of the gents of yesteryear in their Bermudas, OTC socks, shoes and coat and tie. They looked like tits. Some iGENTs have sought to recreate said look and they look like bigger tits.

That being said, most here live/work in relatively temperate climates. In certain parts of the world, sandals is not a big deal on men, of course there are sandals, and their sandals and situations vary.

Socks inserted themselves into the equation some time after the War. I remember my poor grandfather in shorts and sandals. Never wore socks unless it was shoes. Was it ze Germans wot started wearing socks with sandals? Or the 'Merikuns?

Ha, good one Walter. C&J of course. I might even wear mine tomorrow evening. It is going to be hot. I forgot l even had them. Might even do a pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom