Music Of The Moment

Kingstonian

Saw L’Elisir d Amore yesterday at Glyndebourne. It was very good. Light, funny with a happy ending. Nobody dies.

However, the tenor was not as good as the other performers. I kept thinking of the old cassette tape that I had made years ago of Pavarotti in the lead role.

Nice dry day in the English countryside. If you did not have a Zimmer frame or walking stick you felt quite young.

The Ernesto

Saw L’Elisir d Amore yesterday at Glyndebourne. It was very good. Light, funny with a happy ending. Nobody dies.

However, the tenor was not as good as the other performers. I kept thinking of the old cassette tape that I had made years ago of Pavarotti in the lead role.
Started belting this out at home the other night. Just a random thing. The missus just looked at me with a 'where the fck did that come from' expression.

Kingstonian

‘The Craic was good in Cricklewood,
And they wouldn’t leave the Crown.’

Went to an Irish concert there on Saturday. Venue this year has moved from Camden to NW London which was an area I used to frequent decades ago.

The Crown is now a four star hotel instead of a big pub frequented by construction workers. The massive Galtymore Irish dancehall is long gone too.

Started off in Kilburn walked the length of the High Road past The Cock and the street market. Doubled back and had some very nice ales in the Sir Colin Campbell. Most of the Kilburn pubs are not worth bothering with. Hopped on a bus and had a few more in the Cricklewood Wetherspoon which had an unimaginative beer range. Then into the concert. Not the late Ronnie Drew and his pals. That’s just a link for Cricklewood.

I did actually work with McAlpines Fusiliers as a Summer job. Hard hats only worn if it rained. No safety boots. Chancers riding hoists meant for materials only. The pay was good though and it was not too grim in Summer. Worked with Second World War Poles too and Sikh carpenters with saws that operated on the pull stroke. Worst job was pneumatic drill on concrete. No safety goggles or ear protectors offered of course.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

I did actually work with McAlpines Fusiliers as a Summer job. Hard hats only worn if it rained. No safety boots. Chancers riding hoists meant for materials only. The pay was good though and it was not too grim in Summer. Worked with Second World War Poles too and Sikh carpenters with saws that operated on the pull stroke. Worst job was pneumatic drill on concrete. No safety goggles or ear protectors offered of course.
Sadly, McAlpines were acquired by that Blairite corporatist screw-up, Carillion and the rest is liquidation.

Pimpernel Smith

The remastering on the 50th of The Doors Soft Parade is the best so far in these series reissues, much hidden layers revealed:

Kingstonian

No kids are christened ‘Nigel’ these days.

British Steel would have not been a long term future for him.

The Sun references this song in a politics headline as ‘we are not making plans for Nigel’. Probably only noticed by the middle aged and over.

Pimpernel Smith

No kids are christened ‘Nigel’ these days.

British Steel would have not been a long term future for him.

The Sun references this song in a politics headline as ‘we are not making plans for Nigel’. Probably only noticed by the middle aged and over.

There was a great one hit wonder, I think, from circa 1979/1980, a song about someone's dad who had retired and they sang about taking his sledgehammer away from him as he wanted to carry on working. Tried to find it on Youtube, but all I get is Peter Gabriel.

Top Bottom