Music Of The Moment

Kingston Wetherspoon. Tuesday 4th August.

Thorn bridge Jaipur £1.99 a pint and the chancellors new scheme to offer cheap meals Mon to Wednesday has just started. It does not tie in with the fight against obesity, but that’s another story. Steak and a pint of Guinness for £6.91. Perfectly nice steak too. Today I paid £6 just for the Guinness at the Paternoster Chop House by St.Pauls.

Anyway there were two teddy boys in The Kingston spoon, closer to 80 than 70. Winkle picker shoes or brothel creepers, drape jackets, bootlace ties. One of them had an eye patch over his right eye. It reminded me of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, though Johnny Kidd died in a car crash in the 1960s.

This was Johnny’s best song:-

I was referencing that dreadful cacophony of noise that is favela funk.
Funk carioca / Baile funk / Fevala funk is admittedly, not for the faint of heart.
The Fevela on blast set by Diplo, is a classic for the gentrifying crowd. Had it as a file back in the day. Diplos influence on pop music, from this 2004 mixtape and forward, is huge.

Funk carioca / Baile funk / Fevala funk is admittedly, not for the faint of heart.
The Fevela on blast set by Diplo, is a classic for the gentrifying crowd. Had it as a file back in the day. Diplos influence on pop music, from this 2004 mixtape and forward, is huge.

I happened to be there in 2004, and that seems to a be a very accessible DJ version of it. The stuff I was exposed to was totally without any musical reference point for me, or for indeed Brazilians into MPB.

Nebraska was the only Springsteen album that ever meant anything to me.

Never heard of these brass players before, but they are decent. They really start to cook after 5 minutes in. Some great notes on trumpet and some mean trombone action where he gets stuck into it.

Interesting conclusion, but I think rock faded somewhat as it got old. Same happened with big band and jazz music. Ringo Starr is 80 now, the youthful mystique and energy has long gone. It's peak influence on popular culture was in the 1980s especially with the emergent video culture.

Think the critic is out by a decade. Also like Duke Ellington who kept his big band on the road until he died in his early 70s, there's good rock out there and some of the old timers can deliver good tracks. But it's not the same raw power anymore and just another part of showbiz now, the zeitgeist has moved on.

Certainly the two albums are pivotal. I much preferred the pre-body building Springsteen, although The Tunnel of Love was a good album. I seriously can't listen to any of his stuff now. Doesn't move me at all. He gets a pasting compared to Neil Young in Fred Goodman's book The Mansion on the Hill.

The follow-up to London Calling, has always been an album that has never found its place in time. It's radio advertising jingles and has only 2 decent songs out of the 36 offered: The Magnificent Seven and The Call Up. All was not lost first side of Combat Rock is great.

Nebraska was the only Springsteen album that ever meant anything to me.

Nebraska was a good album, I had the Japanese import CD with the extra organ bit on one of the last tracks. Use to play it a lot and it had a bit of kudos with those who were listening to Tanita Tikaram, Tracy Chapman and Suzanne Vega in the sixth form I was at.

Long time ago now, a different world and all of those bright young things are scattered across the globe now. Only to return to your hometown as a stranger.

1,000 people play the bagpipes.

I wanted to learn the bagpipes as a kid. Glad l didn't though, the neighbours would have been so annoyed.

Neighbours have just got a sausage dog. The daughter used to come round with hers. It never stopped barking. I think there have three dogs now, between them. So we get instructions as well as barking. ‘good girl’ ‘naughty!’. Never ‘walkies’ unfortunately.

A quiet dog would better - a Labrador or golden retriever. At least it is not a hard dog though.

Used to be played on the wireless, for children, on the BBC Light Programme by Uncle MAC who was possibly another paedo.

These old guys always tickle my fancy when l see `em all blowin' their horns. Decent players for their age.

If l lived there I might even join `em. tehe

Here is an even better subway band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom