Music Of The Moment

Interesting article, that I needed to go back to because I felt something was missing.

Well, two things are missing from 1983: from a synth perspective Heaven 17's The Luxury Gap. Unforgiveable to miss that.

The other one is the cassette tape culture which was well established and soon would be the dominant format from '85 to the early 90's. All that taping stuff for your mates which was a big thing.

I had a Sony Walkman in '83 and I missed school specifically to buy The Luxury Gap on cassette. I think it was GBP 5.45. I had some money from somewhere, it might have been my birthday. As soon as I could afford I moved up to the Aiwa portable players which were state of the art from the mid-to-late 80s. Superb, much better than Sony.

In the mid-1980s, no summer would be complete without a trip to Bali, where you could pick up all the latest releases pirated onto cassette for around $1 each. Sometimes the covers were printed in colour, but usually just photocopied in black and white. Occasionally the pirate screwed up and gave you two A sides or the wrong album.

In the mid-1980s, no summer would be complete without a trip to Bali, where you could pick up all the latest releases pirated onto cassette for around $1 each. Sometimes the covers were printed in colour, but usually just photocopied in black and white. Occasionally the pirate screwed up and gave you two A sides or the wrong album.
Bali was a bit far for us in Blighty in the 80s, but if you had family working in the UAE they had state-of-the-art pirating. Pristine vinyl, cleaned, on the best turntable out there hooked up to metal cassette tapes and away they would pirate. Amongst the Tape Head community recognized as the definitive tape versions of these albums. Good printing too. My first edition of Japan's Assemblage was one of these tapes. On the downside you could get some oddities, like The Human League meets The Go Go's.

Buster blood vessel used to be a proper fat bloke back then. Now he just looks unremarkable. I did some googling :-

“Blood vessel has struggled with morbid obesity and underwent laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery in 2004, with his weight dropping from 31 stone (196.86 kg; 434 lbs) to 13 stone (82.6 kg; 182 lbs).[2]

Bloodvessel once owned a hotel in Margate called Fatty Towers, which specifically catered for larger customers with features such as extra large beds and baths as well as fatty meals.[3]

He moved around well for a fat lad .

If I remember correctly, all her friends went to Bali and poor Muriel was left in Porpoise Spit.

It all worked out well in the end though.

I never really got on with I Roy, U Roy A to Z Roy etc. There was some of that stuff in the previous decade - King Stitt and so on, but it was not so prevalent.

By the time John Peel took up Bob Marley I had lost interest.

Original 45 :-

The
Same thing with ‘toasting’

Change of pace from the pandemic, I spent today coordinating evacuating nursing homes without power during the Texas snowpocalypse. Soundtrack:

Buster blood vessel used to be a proper fat bloke back then. Now he just looks unremarkable. I did some googling :-

“Blood vessel has struggled with morbid obesity and underwent laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery in 2004, with his weight dropping from 31 stone (196.86 kg; 434 lbs) to 13 stone (82.6 kg; 182 lbs).[2]

Bloodvessel once owned a hotel in Margate called Fatty Towers, which specifically catered for larger customers with features such as extra large beds and baths as well as fatty meals.[3]

He moved around well for a fat lad .
I read an interview about his hotel and weight loss. He was a Carlsberg Special Brew drinker.
I never really got on with I Roy, U Roy A to Z Roy etc. There was some of that stuff in the previous decade - King Stitt and so on, but it was not so prevalent.

By the time John Peel took up Bob Marley I had lost interest.

Original 45 :-

The
Same thing with ‘toasting’

A lot of toasting is dreadful, it is the original rap after all. Ranking Roger was good with The Beat and added an element to the sound. Then you've got the DJ versions which tend to be another why is this chap speaking over the music?

I'm on a bit of a reggae and ska blitz at the moment. Missus can't stand it, she said yesterday ''Oh no, not again, can't stand these English people pretending they're from latin America.'' She has no cultural or music reference to Jamaican or Caribbean music. Same with Motown and Stax soul that flies completely under or over her head.

Great live version and quality.

I read an interview about his hotel and weight loss. He was a Carlsberg Special Brew drinker.

A lot of toasting is dreadful, it is the original rap after all. Ranking Roger was good with The Beat and added an element to the sound. Then you've got the DJ versions which tend to be another why is this chap speaking over the music?

I'm on a bit of a reggae and ska blitz at the moment. Missus can't stand it, she said yesterday ''Oh no, not again, can't stand these English people pretending they're from latin America.'' She has no cultural or music reference to Jamaican or Caribbean music. Same with Motown and Stax soul that flies completely under or over her head.

Great live version and quality.

Was going to have a quick listen through headphones, but had to switch it off after the first second. Very toxic energy coming from that video...they type of energy that comes from musicians when they are connected with the occult. I always know who's into bad stuff by the energy they give off. Bowie's is foul.

This is why l listen to something like this: it is more innocent and has no connections to dark things.

or this

Was going to have a quick listen through headphones, but had to switch it off after the first second. Very toxic energy coming from that video...they type of energy that comes from musicians when they are connected with the occult. I always know who's into bad stuff by the energy they give off. Bowie's is foul.

This is why l listen to something like this: it is more innocent and has no connections to dark things.

or this

Shooey this is the music they play to torture the prisoners at Guantanmo.

^
I have thousands of those types of things saved up. If it is a horn, l wanna hear it! Horns always get me in.

It's a dark song, with many occult references and Bowie was certainly in a dark place at the time, addicted to cocaine and flirting with his darkest character of all, The Thin White Duke. The European aristocrat with fascist undertones.

I did not know he was a doctor now. His head looks too big for his body in that photo.

Different to his usual shtick

He wasted his best years by being the side-kick junkie to Nico.

Not prolific enough by far. But Beasley Street remains the best English poem of the last 41 years now. He should have become an English Charles Bukowski, in his trans-global Manchester poet appeal.

Linton Kwesi Johnson is another one, great stuff, but not prolific enough to be a serious contender.

I know poetry is a dead artform and all that, but surely, these poets could have been more prolific?

Oh my. Paul Stanley. Soul. Autotune. No. Nice to see Johnny Rivers showed up to host the Midnight Special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom