Odd Things Seen Daily By Me

Small towns need to make money too, although this reinforces my view that urban centres and villages are just as unfriendly or friendly. Fewer people in fact means more prejudice.

Small towns need to make money too, although this reinforces my view that urban centres and villages are just as unfriendly or friendly. Fewer people in fact means more prejudice.

That may be true, but in tree lined suburbs, with parks and bike lines going out into the countryside, around lakes and through forests, as I have here, you can create enough space between you and the rest of the mob. I don't need to interface with my neighbours or my community to cut my own personal space e.g. monthly fees for up-keep and those awful community meetings in high rises.

I don't need to interface with my neighbours or my community to cut my own personal space e.g. monthly fees for up-keep and those awful community meetings in high rises.

Careful mate or you'll come off as that brooding introverted neighbour cooped up in his white ivory tower.

I'm on the train to go 100km to see an old work mate of mine. Why are people bringing out snacks and the most pungent of foods? People can't go 90 minutes to 2 hours without food?! And they ask why people are obese these days.

You count the hours between drinks. Maybe they count the hours between gorging.

Face it Fwiffs, these Toronto plebes don't function like you do. I'd also say they are all more than 62 kg so they need to stoke the furnace more than you do. That's just the women.

The underground subway stations here are converting over to contactless transit fare cards. Obviously a lot of stations were retrofitted. Some stations have the top up kiosk behind the gate. How am I supposed to top up behind the gate if I am out funds?!

No Interac or credit card option?

You count the hours between drinks. Maybe they count the hours between gorging.

Face it Fwiffs, these Toronto plebes don't function like you do. I'd also say they are all more than 62 kg so they need to stoke the furnace more than you do. That's just the women.

I think most of them were returning home or returning to their campus as the train was going past Guelph, Kitchener and all the way to London.

Pulling out of Guelph was depressing seeing their one main street. Restaurants all prefixed with some name. Bob's Diner. Frank's Pizza. Jenny's Chinese.

Who builds houses so close to a rail corridor? And then of course the people there are all big. Either they spend too much time in a car or sitting around. I saw a few just sitting on a plastic lawn chair or on what looks like fire escape grade metal stairs just having a smoke and staring back at the train. Then I wondered what the hell do people do out here.

The stoking the furnace part just reminded me of the scene above.

No Interac or credit card option?

TTC will let you buy something I think $10 or $5 minimum purchase with debit and credit. In the future, however, I know the CEO wants to dismantle the glass booths in all but the major stations because he wants them patrolling the station and helping passengers rather than sit there and collect money. In that case you might be out of luck if you don't find a transit card dispenser or convenience store that accepts credit and debit. The top up machines are fine but you need to have bought a card.

I'm on the train to go 100km to see an old work mate of mine. Why are people bringing out snacks and the most pungent of foods? People can't go 90 minutes to 2 hours without food?! And they ask why people are obese these days.
I calculate that most people these days cant exist for more than 10 minutes with stuffing some shit in their face.

I just don't get it - I like good food - not $4 packets of crisp or chocolate - most days I have 2 x strong coffee at home for breakfast and next think about food at 6 pm.

Some days I have a light lunch of a small tin or tuna or a cup of miso soup. Sometimes I lash out and have a Vietnamese Salad roll.

Japan classic menswear observations:
The skinny and short trend seems to have skipped Japan. Lapels are classic width, 3r2 is very common, both padded and natural shoulders. Due to the summer season it's mostly unpadded and very open weave fabrics. Trousers have a 1-1.5" cuff, high rise and pleats, but relatively slim ankle opening.

The color palette is very similar to London, dark navy suits (although lots of black suits too, but black is worn more by women than men), white shirts and black shoes. Ties are much more common though, especially knit ties for some reason.

Lots of button down collars, and they all have a perfect roll. Japanese BD collar>American BD collar. I saw a lot of small custom tailor shops, so I suspect bespoke is slightly more common.

Overall, I'm very impressed by Japanese classic menswear.

Men who think it is okay to wear a three piece in the summer. It's 30c - that waistcoat becomes a little superfluous isn't it?

A brown guy with that shaved number one side haircut pulls up in a brand new Lexus GS 350. He walks out, puts on his shades and makes his way to a...Subway. I guess there are tradeoffs in life.

If you've ever lived a long time away from your home town and then return, you'll get this....

I've been long enough away now that every difference: closed down shop or pub, redevelopment and change in roads renders it all alien, as if I never lived there. And then, there's something: the colour of a brick wall, a group of old oak trees, a certain smell, a country road that brings it all back as if I had never been away. I find it quite odd and strange, almost exciting as you wait for a wave of recognition and then the new to wipe it all clean and make you just another tourist on their holiday.

And then there's the people, you notice faces you haven't seen for nigh on 20 years or more, but you recognize them. I was in the Marks & Spencer's and the missus was buying something and the lady on the till happened to be a lady who was in the sixth form back with me. I hadn't seen her since 1989. She left a year early and never took her A Levels, but she hung around still with us for awhile. She still had the same hair, her youth had gone from the side, but not from the front, she didn't look that bad. I didn't let on, but it was clear she recognized me, which was a bit strange, as I don't look anything like I did back then, perhaps she didn't. But like my old mucca who has worked since 1987 in the local newsagents by my mother's, I decided best not to let on. If you really were interested in them, you would never have lost contact I suppose.

And then there's the people, you notice faces you haven't seen for nigh on 20 years or more, but you recognize them. I was in the Marks & Spencer's and the missus was buying something and the lady on the till happened to be a lady who was in the sixth form back with me. I hadn't seen her since 1989. She left a year early and never took her A Levels, but she hung around still with us for awhile. She still had the same hair, her youth had gone from the side, but not from the front, she didn't look that bad. I didn't let on, but it was clear she recognized me, which was a bit strange, as I don't look anything like I did back then, perhaps she didn't. But like my old mucca who has worked since 1987 in the local newsagents by my mother's, I decided best not to let on. If you really were interested in them, you would never have lost contact I suppose.

I've seen this from the other way around. Except for two international stints I've stayed within about 40km of my place of birth. I skipped a grade in high school and went straight into university so I have no connection with anyone from school except one mate whom I still watch footy with. As I started working and later moved into the city, I occasionally bumped into some of them whilst they run to the rail station or go out for lunch in the financial district. Most of the time I don't bother to make eye contact or greet them because I find the majority say let's catch up and then don't bother to respond to your e-mail or text message.

On the odd time I expended a bit of effort to successfully reconnect, nearly all of our conversation was dominated by nostalgia. There was nothing new. At some point you just have to accept that chapter in life has closed.

A few tracked me down on Facebook and added me so I see some of them on the odd time I open up Facebook. Nearly everyone has married or has a partner of some kind. Most married (or remarried or whatever) have children. Half the men are suffering from visible hair loss. Save but one or two of the women look like they gave birth and won't be going back to what they were before.

On the odd time I expended a bit of effort to successfully reconnect, nearly all of our conversation was dominated by nostalgia. There was nothing new. At some point you just have to accept that chapter in life has closed.

Peak nostalgia was reached with all those class reunions that came from Friends Reunited. They turned out to be one off affairs and Friends Reunited is no more.

I didn't come from a town but a farm. We were about 15ks outside of a town of 6,000 popn. I left school at 16 and was working on farms then had a semi trailer - so I wasn't around town much except on cattle sale days and Saturday nights. There was one bloke I went to school with who on Saturday night would sit at the same pub, on the same seat every time. I didn't go to that pub much as we were into bands, dancing, sex and drugs and the odd fight.

Anyway - 20 years later - I go back one weekend. For some reason walk into that pub and - ...... the same bloke is sitting in the same seat - 20 years later!

If I go back to the old neighbourhood it is like a little bubble where time stopped.

The meatheads that I grew up with in Hell's Half Acre have not migrated too far. Sure they have kids but they still drink like we did back in the day.

Spent 10 years in the same school with them then high school with some (although there was a big attrition rate).

I avoid them on Facebook but embrace them in person because it is a hoot to hang out with them.

Bumped into one recently and he has become his father. Wearing a leather blazer just as his dad Jack the Bear did 40 years ago. All that is missing are the 70's sideburns and Fu Machu tash.

I assume being called "The Bear" is supposed to be flattering? Or is it derogatory? I'm confused.

I assume being called "The Bear" is supposed to be flattering? Or is it derogatory? I'm confused.

He had the same last name as Paul "The Bear Rupert" top top Team Canada roller derby star
IMG_8906.JPG

Where you even find these images baffles me.

Canadian history should not baffle you.

Next you will tell me you have no clue on who Skinny Minnie Miller is.
IMG_8917.JPG

Watch this to learn about the beauty of roller derby

IMG_8918.JPG

Last night I was at a BBQ and was introduced to 25 odd people I don't know. I introduce myself by looking someone in the eye, extending my right hand and leaning a bit in to shake it - one pump, two pumps and then repeat their name and say my name again. What is it with men who shy away from handshakes and give you a look like I'm molesting them?

Last night I was at a BBQ and was introduced to 25 odd people I don't know. I introduce myself by looking someone in the eye, extending my right hand and leaning a bit in to shake it - one pump, two pumps and then repeat their name and say my name again. What is it with men who shy away from handshakes and give you a look like I'm molesting them?

Maybe they were looking at your hair?

I think I have a skunk that was raised by some of my barn cats.

I had noticed the little guy hanging out in the barn near the new kittens. He would eat the cat food. So I thought it was coincidence.

But I've seen him running with the cats and hanging out with them and they are not scared of him and don't run away.

I've run into him several times and he just stands there, does not run away and this is with me being within 6 feet of him. He just looks at me like the cats do.

He has never sprayed either. Nor is he rabid.

Damndest thing I've seen.

I think I have a skunk that was raised by some of my barn cats.

I had noticed the little guy hanging out in the barn near the new kittens. He would eat the cat food. So I thought it was coincidence.

But I've seen him running with the cats and hanging out with them and they are not scared of him and don't run away.

I've run into him several times and he just stands there, does not run away and this is with me being within 6 feet of him. He just looks at me like the cats do.

He has never sprayed either. Nor is he rabid.

Damndest thing I've seen.
you gonna keep him? skunks are cute. awful, but cute.

I will let him roam with the group and see what happens.

He's an interesting little bugger

People at work who eat the leftover sandwiches and salads from catered all day meetings. I reckon these sandwiches have been sitting around at a shop all morning and then are delivered for lunch. By the time people have rummaged through it, it's a few hours before they usually end up in a kitchen.

Today I spotted a coworker checking out the tray of leftover sandwiches whilst the meeting was still in session. He then sheepishly took it and went to the kitchen to eat it. We ended up chatting and he confessed he doesn't even like the sandwiches or pizzas that our facilities folks order for work meetings. Why are you eating it then?

People at work who eat the leftover sandwiches and salads from catered all day meetings. I reckon these sandwiches have been sitting around at a shop all morning and then are delivered for lunch. By the time people have rummaged through it, it's a few hours before they usually end up in a kitchen.

Today I spotted a coworker checking out the tray of leftover sandwiches whilst the meeting was still in session. He then sheepishly took it and went to the kitchen to eat it. We ended up chatting and he confessed he doesn't even like the sandwiches or pizzas that our facilities folks order for work meetings. Why are you eating it then?

To save money.

Crikey, No wonder your direct reports are always asking for a rise in their pay packet.

Over-Canadianisation of KFC
IMG_9263.JPG

....and there was a guy with full sleeve tats inside with his young son wearing a lilac polo shirt, collar popped, with dad jeans.

Oh, the horror!

I walk by this one homeless person every couple of days depending on my choice of path. I keep thinking the murmurs he makes sitting on a stair on the side of the street was a plea for money, but today I passed by and heard him reading children's stories aloud.

I see a lot of the young girls wearing Double Rider Jackets. Y'know the teenagers in clean tight jeans with holes in them and rolled up to expose ankles above white sneakers with those short socks. The jackets must be cheap - somewhere I'm guessing like H&M? Zara? - they look OK they are light/thin looking not the thick Schotts etc. And I'm guessing not real leather but I've so far resisted the temptation to lean over and have a feel. Of the jackets.

The hideous fashion this year has been for yummy mummies and middle aged ladies sporting cod-leather i.e. plastic trousers.

I see a lot of the young girls wearing Double Rider Jackets. Y'know the teenagers in clean tight jeans with holes in them and rolled up to expose ankles above white sneakers with those short socks. The jackets must be cheap - somewhere I'm guessing like H&M? Zara? - they look OK they are light/thin looking not the thick Schotts etc. And I'm guessing not real leather but I've so far resisted the temptation to lean over and have a feel. Of the jackets.

Yep, lots of pleather versions. Plus there are a lot of China-made and India-made leather jackets on the market too.

The two cats that own this outfit will even do custom for you (they call it bespoke) for as low as $220

IMG_9406.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom