The Food Thread

Certainly seems worth a try! In my experience steel dishes are a plus.

I have picked up from here https://www.wmxl.nl/ a few times. Always the same dish though. It is certainly very popular, it used to be extremely busy. Last time not so much, for whatever reason.
Will try and give that Warung a go, never come across it.

Had a takeaway from Krishna Villas: chilli bajji, seasonal vegetables, bhindi do pyaza and garlic nan. That's too much for one person, just the vegetable curry and nan is enough. I don't eat rice, but you've got that as well. For under €20 you've got a good Indian meal. I'll get another one Friday.

All of a sudden there's several Indian vegetarian restaurants popped up. A couple of years ago there wasn't any.

€2When Texicans get tired of Tex-Mex they go fusion. Fish n chip, tikka chicken and brisket tacos, with a red coconut curry queso and chips on the side.

View attachment 40024
That's got to be food appropriation, how dare you steal fish n' chips from the Brits!

That turned out quite dreadful. There I was slowly working my way through the vegetarian menu. Turned up today, not ready can I come back in 30 mins. Noticed it was the owner's son and not the usual kitchen staff. What a horrible, creamy sugary mess. Won't be going back there again. That kind of restaurant cum takeaway you have to be 100% consistent. Mistake like that and you lose the customer.

So I will be down at the Ekoplaza organic supermarket tomorrow instead.

The sum total of my grape crop 2021:

IMG_2679.jpg

If you put 8 individual ones into a plastic container you can sell it for 2 quid at M&S.

My MiL tipped us off to the most amazing new banh mi joint in town. I had the brisket with a fried egg and it was heaven in a baguette.

55CEBB8C-752C-4BBB-8BBE-D7409440B621.jpeg

Last edited:
I did go there in the meantime: It’s very good food! Had to do takeaway because for some reason they are the only ones (it seems) that actually want some Corona proof.
Bagel and Beans in Gouda check as well, but only your QR code, not your identity papers. Other places I've been to are not checking at all.

He's lost quite a lot of sit down business at Krishna Vilas. He's following the rules, only because the inspectors have been going in there pretending to be customers.

The food is good, but it spoils you for when you go to an average Indian restaurant and you realize it's stodgy overly buttery rubbish. The Gobi Manchurian is exceptional.

IMG_2802.PNG

He‘s apparently not using one of his rooms anymore. There were only two Indian guys sitting there having dinner next to the door.

We only had the South Indian stuff, lots of it, to try a bit of everything. I think I‘m more of a North Indian, it seems, but it was very good food nonetheless.

Back in the 80s the Hare Krishna free Tuesday meal was THE place to eat for every poor student and punk rock kid. The foyer was just a sea of Doc Martins, hahah. Back then, you got a free meal in return for doing your dishes and listening to the sermon. These days they have these restaurants everywhere - cheap meals and no sermon.

Ours is in a temple.

7D6A888D-777F-47A2-8273-24FBC32CFCD3.jpeg
712D3EA8-D9BD-4C3F-AA1E-C8A403239302.jpeg

🙄
I live in London, mate. Don’t be daft with your stereotypes.
Like churrascurias are not the best meat eating experience you will ever have?

Fuck all to do with stereotypes.

My cousin turned up in Rio on her world tour and they were all like pretend students on limited budgets and were all a bit reluctant to go to the Porcao as it might be a bit expensive, little did they know how cost effective it was, and actually I was going to pay for everyone. So some didn't want to come and those that did really enjoyed it. And I did pick up the tab, I really dig introducing people to new food and restaurant experiences. That's my kind of buzz. From Michelin to just a good place to go.

To be fair, most white American food is equally horrid and Anglo-Australian food doesn’t lag that far behind.

But it’s a big metropolis, so at least you aren’t stuck eating bangers and mash every night.

To be fair, most white American food is equally horrid and Anglo-Australian food doesn’t lag that far behind.

But it’s a big metropolis, so at least you aren’t stuck eating bangers and mash every night.
I think youve been away too long - or haven't been to Melbourne - you cant get 3 chops and spuds anywhere.

Dreadful rain today the restuarants were pretty much empty, but we were eating early.

No checks with the Corona virus passport. Next thing, the lights go out in the kitchen is shut waiting on an electrician. Good job we had already ate. A Dutch couple turned nasty and started swearing and got angry as they might not get in another restaurant. I can assure you they definitely wouldn't have any issues there all around the Peace Palace area. Then they get into an argument and start swearing in Dutch at the owner/chef.

The whole thing was a mistake, a restuarant chosen by the missus based on what she believed to be the new location of a restaurant owned by one of the partners of a restuarant we use to go to the in 2000's. I knew that was in Voorburg, so it was always going to be not quite what was looked for.

I never enjoyed eating in Italian restaurants when I lived in The Netherlands. Instead of Beef, everything was substituted by Pork and Veal, or just Veal. I couldn't get used to the taste of Veal, unless it was a Doner, then it's unidentifiable but strange tasting...

I’m not really into donuts normally, but this gluten-free hard apple cider donut was a flavour orgasm.

030DDEAF-0E22-40E7-ABE8-FA75FB9998CD.jpeg

We went to my kids’ favourite lunch spot, The Hobbit Cafe. -a local institution near the university that is turning 50 next year. Everyone else ends up bringing left-overs home to eat in the evening, so this time o decided to order big with the intention of also having left-overs. A pound of beef, muchrroms, avocado, bacon, jalapeños, etc:
A5946B9C-AA0D-493A-BD89-DF85F1CFDEE9.jpeg

I may still be eating this next week.

We went to my kids’ favourite lunch spot, The Hobbit Cafe. -a local institution near the university that is turning 50 next year. Everyone else ends up bringing left-overs home to eat in the evening, so this time o decided to order big with the intention of also having left-overs. A pound of beef, muchrroms, avocado, bacon, jalapeños, etc:

I may still be eating this next week.

You're embraced portions befitting a yank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom