The Food Thread

This is so interesting to me. I am partial to the food and cuisine, but as a city boy cooking outside with chicken pecking at your herbs and a dog eating leftovers is otherworldly to me.

My mob bought one of those home sushi kits. They were all engaged in the kitchen, next thing I know they're coming out with some cooked chicken and carrots and cucumbers in long pieces, the sushi endeavor had all gone wrong.

Find sushi rather passe now. It use to be exotic, funny how things get boring.

This is so interesting to me. I am partial to the food and cuisine, but as a city boy cooking outside with chicken pecking at your herbs and a dog eating leftovers is otherworldly to me.

this was like a weird ASMR video but i found it strangely compelling. dish looked incredibly delicious. supposedly iran makes the best pistachios, although i'm not exactly sure what they added to the dish other than a topping.

this was like a weird ASMR video but i found it strangely compelling. dish looked incredibly delicious. supposedly iran makes the best pistachios, although i'm not exactly sure what they added to the dish other than a topping.

For the kebab meat it looks like black pepper, paprika, and salt. The grated onion (water rung out after grating) goes in it too. You can add a pinch of saffron, turmeric or sumac. Sumac can be sprinkled on after too. This is mostly because the ground meat is very oily (it's not the extra lean cut and often mixed lamb/beef or even just lamb).

They fried and caramelized the diced onion and pepper separately.

These days you can slice the pistachio into slivers. Add almond slivers, barberries, parsley or dried rose petals.

The video is in the north so it's cold but you also can have a yogurt to go with it. Like Mast-o-khiar.

Number one Persian food stuff. Saffron. They will always rave their saffron is better than anyone else in the world. Pistachio. Sumac. Dried limes (limoo). Cucumber (fewer seeds). They have their own versions of herbs (mint, basil, etc). Kashk or whey. Doogh which is a fizzy yogurt drink. Tea.

My mob bought one of those home sushi kits. They were all engaged in the kitchen, next thing I know they're coming out with some cooked chicken and carrots and cucumbers in long pieces, the sushi endeavor had all gone wrong.

Find sushi rather passe now. It use to be exotic, funny how things get boring.

Most places these days don't bother to do a proper sushi rice, ginger comes in a packet, and wasabi is always from powder so it's a free for all. I'm sure there are classically trained Japanese chefs still trying to perfect their preparation.

I remember when YO! Sushi was practically the only option when I worked in London and I had to convince my Afrikaner work mate to at least try a California roll. Back where I came from it was so common it's in the take away section of every supermarket. Of course that has all changed now where ramen shops and izakayas are at every corner.

Most places these days don't bother to do a proper sushi rice, ginger comes in a packet, and wasabi is always from powder so it's a free for all. I'm sure there are classically trained Japanese chefs still trying to perfect their preparation.
I had a Japanese roommate once who said you can’t get good Sushi outside of Japan (probably not true) and a Japanese client who when we invited them for dinner said “ok but PLEASE no Sushi”. In Europe it just has degenerated into regular fast food, it’s so bad, they call it the “consultant’s kebap”.

I remember when YO! Sushi was practically the only option when I worked in London...
The first cod-Japanese restaurant I went to was in Watergate Street in Chester, must have been '89 or '90. Other than the sushi, it was the same ''Mongolian'' gimmick they were working before. But it seemed rather sophisticated and ultra-modern at the time.

Dined in lots of good and genuine Japanese restaurants since in Sao Paulo, Leblon, Shanghai, Johannesburg and even here in The Hague, but never in Japan. Which is still pretty top of the list countries I need to go to.
In Europe it just has degenerated into regular fast food, it’s so bad, they call it the “consultant’s kebap”.
Good and accurate summation.

390AD651-7CDC-4195-BBD0-C0D7B206FC84.jpeg

doghouse doghouse

I hate that dead ant smell. And it’s in American chocolate and Asian bbq as well.

83E665E5-FBE0-44C5-BC60-A2839EB08156.jpeg

Okay...what do people think about mushrooms then?

Actually my post was in reference to the oleic acid usage and its relation to dead ants.

After all fungus is grown by feeding on the dead and people except fxh don't have issues with eating mushrooms.

Actually my post was in reference to the oleic acid usage and its relation to dead ants.

After all fungus is grown by feeding on the dead and people except fxh don't have issues with eating mushrooms.
Grown in shit.

Fwiffo Fwiffo @anyoneelsewhocooks what is your favorite recipe for (chicken) biryani?

No - sorry. I probably only ever made two Indian dishes in my life. I still make Chicken Machboos (Bahraini Spiced Chicken and Rice) from Daring Gourmet once or twice a year. The spices are different though.

No - sorry. I probably only ever made two Indian dishes in my life. I still make Chicken Machboos (Bahraini Spiced Chicken and Rice) from Daring Gourmet once or twice a year. The spices are different though.
This for sure seems easy to prepare. Best I have found so far is this https://www.nigella.com/recipes/guests/asma-khans-ammus-chicken-biryani which is from a very good book. I‘ll never be able to recreate the specific chicken biryani I have in mind anyway so I‘m still just looking for some ideas to combine. I tried a recipe from a book I have some time ago, that was not what I wanted and not even a good dish by itself.

You make some spectacular meals and post them on Insta, don’t leave the rest of us on this forum out. That is prime content that everyone would want to see and learn about.

You make some spectacular meals and post them on Insta, don’t leave the rest of us on this forum out. That is prime content that everyone would want to see and learn about.
This son of a bitch is holding out on us again????

This son of a bitch is holding out on us again????
I do post. But in the cooking and advice thread for home cooks. I just pick the better ones every around 3 months and post it.

Saturday was another Phil Howard recipe (substitution for ingredients I can't find). I am sure it will be part of the quarterly round up.

This for sure seems easy to prepare. Best I have found so far is this https://www.nigella.com/recipes/guests/asma-khans-ammus-chicken-biryani which is from a very good book. I‘ll never be able to recreate the specific chicken biryani I have in mind anyway so I‘m still just looking for some ideas to combine. I tried a recipe from a book I have some time ago, that was not what I wanted and not even a good dish by itself.

Asma Khan. She was on Chef's Table on Netflix. Besides the chicken, greek yogurt and mace I have all these ingredients sitting around.

Asma Khan. She was on Chef's Table on Netflix. Besides the chicken, greek yogurt and mace I have all these ingredients sitting around.
I might watch this episode. I only watched one with this famous mexican chef. It wasn‘t really about the food/cooking. I bought his home style cookbook though, which is excellent. It‘s difficult for me to get some fairly standard ingredients in good quality though. I should have no problem with any biryani though because it is just about the spice, problem here is time/testing.

I almost bought the dual cooker, but I wanted more area. The set up ended up costing me about 150 bucks which was a decent deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom