The Football/Soccer Thread

I'm now invested.

I can save you some time. We ran around like headless chickens in the first half.

In the second half it was clear we signed a bunch of Norwegians, Swiss Italian, and Americans who are not used to playing together other than pairs of players who have a shared history together. Insigne pulled up lame in 20 minutes. Our midfield is atrociously slow - can't provide service to the front 3 in a 4-3-3 and can't move quick enough to defend to protect the back 4. Bernardeschi was winger, then midfielder, then at times rushing back to defend faster than our own fullback. Our much vaunted goalkeeper signing that people kept saying is a US men's national team mainstay showed why he was the backup on the bench throughout the entire World Cup for the States. And when Rooney (!!!) substituted DC United teenagers in the final minutes, they actually outran the tired veterans, set up Benteke to score and scored one on their own.

giphy.gif

Ten Hag brings the first silverware to United in a long time....League Cup but still..it's a trophy.

First fixture of the 17th season of my hometown football club in 7 1/2 hours. Can’t wait.
I'm now invested.
I can save you some time. We ran around like headless chickens in the first half.

In the second half it was clear we signed a bunch of Norwegians, Swiss Italian, and Americans who are not used to playing together other than pairs of players who have a shared history together. Insigne pulled up lame in 20 minutes. Our midfield is atrociously slow - can't provide service to the front 3 in a 4-3-3 and can't move quick enough to defend to protect the back 4. Bernardeschi was winger, then midfielder, then at times rushing back to defend faster than our own fullback. Our much vaunted goalkeeper signing that people kept saying is a US men's national team mainstay showed why he was the backup on the bench throughout the entire World Cup for the States. And when Rooney (!!!) substituted DC United teenagers in the final minutes, they actually outran the tired veterans, set up Benteke to score and scored one on their own.

giphy.gif

:lol

It's the hope that kills you.

I have 3 tickets for today. Thanks to the league wanting as many fixtures as possible and Apple TV wanting all games to start at night we are playing in the frigid sub zero cold.

I was shivering by this time without feeling in my toes nor fingers. I honestly thought we missed the ball. This angle shows it better as I was on the opposite end.

England win against Italy...and Ronaldo pots 2 against mighty Liechtenstein.

I honestly believe Apple TV money will kill MLS. Another night time kick off near freezing with wind chills from 60km winds when we could have comfortably played in the afternoon when it was 14c. When will they figure out people in the northeast won't pack the stands for the television cameras in February and March.

I knew Chelsea was going to take the easy route and appoint an unemployed Lamps

Bernardeschi doesn't get the credit for the assist. But we're going to miss Laryea if Forest calls him back after his loan ends.

That said I won't miss the men who were out all day and possibly at other sporting events coming to the stadium smelling like a homeless person or that one bloke whose breath smelt like he had been drinking ale and only ale since the morning.

Napoli loses to AC Milan and is out of Champions League despite being miles ahead of everyone in Serie A.

The details are finally coming out in English but Juventus was sanctioned and given a 15 point penalty which put them at 7th place in the Serie A table. Then the penalty was lifted and they are now 3rd place and good for Champions League. But the case will still be appealed - what happens if they lose the appeal? Another 15 point penalty? The season could be over. Who takes their Champions League spot then?

Messi suspended for going to Saudi Arabia after being denied permission by PSG for 3 games, with 5 games remaining for the rest of the season.

C'est fini non?

Yes - with a story that they are rebuilding away from old guys. I guess that's the end of Sergio Ramos.

According to Fabrizio Romano, Messi's father already told PSG the decision a month ago.

Big Sam is the fourth manager for Leeds this season with only four fixtures remaining to avoid relegation. But hey he just said he is ahead of Pep, Klopp and Arteta. Must have been a confident interview to Leeds management.

Napoli wins its first title in 33 years...since Maradona.

Sir Alex Ferguson retires: A secret that couldn't be contained - the inside story of Manchester United boss' exit

10 years since Ferguson left United. 10 very long years for anyone who supports United.

"Within 12 months, in addition to Ferguson, Gill and Scholes, Phelan, Meulensteen, goalkeeping coach Eric Steele, Ferdinand, Vidic and full-back Patrice Evra had all left the club. Giggs retired. Within two years, respected youth team coach Paul McGuiness and academy director Brian McClair had gone as well."

Looking back it was astonishing that Ferguson got anything out of that squad in the final year. A number of those players like Feridinand were crocked or overdue for retirement (Giggs, Scholes x2).

It looks like Southampton is going down for sure.

Derby day here for the Canadian cup. Hopefully we have 3 Canadians to feature to make the minimum quota.

This you fwiff?

No, my seasons are here although I moved a dozen rows ahead after half time. The fight is in the top right corner of my photograph where the away supporters go.

IMG_20230509_194407_HDR.jpg

I have zero sympathy for Montreal - a city from the yesteryear who have done nothing in the history of football, are doing nothing now and will never amount to anything in the future.

These wankers were also unscrewing seats and throwing it over the side of the stadium when they used to lose to us and were banned from attending for awhile.

Player and supporter spat too

Last edited:
No, my seasons are here although I moved a dozen rows ahead after half time. The fight is in the top right corner of my photograph where the away supporters go.

View attachment 46510

I have zero sympathy for Montreal - a city from the yesteryear who have done nothing in the history of football, are doing nothing now and will never amount to anything in the future.

These wankers were also unscrewing seats and throwing it over the side of the stadium when they used to lose to us and were banned from attending for awhile.

Player and supporter spat too

Wankers.

It's only 13c today. I don't know why I'm going to this fixture tonight when we're last place in the table with 10 players out on injury. We play New York Red Bull who have 12 players out on injury/suspension and are second last ahead only by goal differential.

Battle for the wooden spoon.

City ties up formalities on winning the premier league against Arsenal.

Final premiership weekend. Leeds, Everton and Leicester City all facing relegation.

It all started last weekend with Bernardeschi's post game interview which is now removed on the club website.

Then at the beginning of the week leaks about Insigne not wanting to work with the manager.

And then yesterday a bomb shell article about management, player infighting, and money demands: Inside Toronto FC’s fractured culture: Insigne and Bernardeschi clashes, Bradley distrust

Never knew my hometown club is like an MLS version of Ten Hag and Man United. Drama.

Big Sam takes Leeds down. Leicester City goes down after winning Premier League in 2016 and FA Cup 2 years ago. Everton continue their top flight streak

Pochettino takes on the poison chalice known as Chelsea manager.

If you thought Spurs and PSG had drama................

On Saturday I showed up to buy an overpriced glass of wine at the stadium and the lady said "You're in the presence of a legend today."

And I thought....legend.....Lorenzo Insigne is starting?

And she said, no, Wayne Rooney!

I have been supporting England since the 'Golden Generation' and I would never describe Wayne Rooney as a legend. I replied to her, "Oh yeah I remember his last competitive game here in 2019 when we drew 1-1 and it went into extra time and we pot 4 goals against DC United and he barely even ran for the ball at the end"

I don't believe he is going to be a legendary manager either because being down 1-0, he made a triple substitution at 45' with 2' of injury time. Who does that other than to send a message your own players are sh*te?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom