The Football/Soccer Thread

www.metronews.ca/sports/2018/03/29/west-ham-in-turmoil-as-relegation-fears-mount-fans-revolt.html

"It's no wonder fans are in despair. They have an underperforming team, a manager — in David Moyes — past his best, and a board that has broken its promises. The matchday experience is hardly something to look forward to, in a soulless 60,000-seat stadium where the fans are separated from the field by a running track."

Whose idea was it to hire Moyes to turn around your club? He hasn't done anything since Everton.

That Hodgson and big Sam are back managing premiership clubs is testament to the Premier League owners' limited creativity.

It looks like City's party needs to be delayed another week. I'm not sure what Pep was thinking but you knew Mourinho's men would be worked up to be spoilers.

arsene-wenger-2.jpg

Farewell Arsène. End of an era for sure. A true gentleman and one of the classiest individuals around. This news has hit me unexpectedly hard.

I've been a fan since the end of George Graham's tenure with the club and got to enjoy watching Wenger come in after Bruce Rioch and get us playing some of the most beautiful football in Europe.

The football played during the banter era will be viewed more favourably in retrospect and maintaining Champion's League Football whilst paying off the stadium was nothing short of extraordinary.

3 FA Cups in the last 4 years and a possible shot at the Europa League in arguably his worst season in charge shows how good he actually is. Merci Le Professeur.

Been a good manager Wenger, he's probally had enough of the abuse, and given his age I can see why he's decide to finish.

Meanwhile the big London derbies.

Millwall v Fulham tonight. Millwall are on a roll and could ruin Fulham’s unbeaten run.

Brentford v QPR tomorrow. Bees win hopefully.

No tourists at Griffin Park. Maybe some oddball Scandinavian anoraks on a London weekend. Definitely no glory hunters though. No Koreans taking photographs as if they are at Disneyland.

Definitely no tourists at Millwall. They would get a severe hiding down there. No one likes them they don’t care.

Down to the wire for second place between Fulham and Cardiff.

Playoff hopefuls also play one another; so Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby, Millwall can all earn their place or slip up.

Where is the fight in this Arsenal squad?!?! You're not up by 1. You're down by 2.

Arsenal 5-0 Burnley

“Thank you for having me for such a long time,” Wenger said in an address to fans. “I know that’s not easy! Above all I am like you: I am an Arsenal fan. That means this is more than just watching football, it’s a way of life. It is caring about the beautiful game, about the values that we cherish.

“I would like to thank everybody at the club who makes this club so special. I would invite you to really push to support the players and the staff who will remain behind me. For me these football players have a special quality, not only on the pitch but off the pitch.”

“Please follow this team and support them next season because they deserve it,” Wenger said. “I would like to finish by saying I will miss you. Thank you all for being such an important part of my life. I hope to see you soon. Well done. Bye bye.”

Mourinho goes home empty handed, although getting second place in the Premiership isn't something to scoff at. City had one of those record setting years.

I can't imagine Mo Salah is actually fasting today. The team doctor has got to step in and say when you're not taking water you can't take to the pitch. Not eating I can see him being able to play but no liquids at all - that's asking for trouble.

Anyone watching the Champions League final?

It was over when Ramos judo tackled Salah and dislocated his shoulder. Goalie errors did not help either.

Meanwhile Fulham are back in Premier League after the most financially rewarding game of the day.

Fulham season ticket sales went offline before the match. So nabbing one as soon as they were back in the top flight not as easy as anticipated.

Massive price hike on Fulham season tickets now they are in Premier League. Giving notice to existing fans for next year rather than making a little on remaining seats I suspect. Khan gets millions from promotion so prices do not have to go up. But he is a business man.

If they get relegated he will not get many paying top dollar.

Makes Brentford prices seem an absolute bargain and you get more Saturday 3pm kick offs rather than being at the beck and call of Sky TV.

The first two weeks of the World Cup are often great to watch. Has a real carnival feel about it.

Next World Cup will be even better (worse) with the expanded field. Watch New Zealand pot five against Trinidad or some other pony nation.

I have no expectations for England. Any hope of getting out of group has evaporated when they couldn't get a goal to get past mighty Iceland in the Euros.

Massive price hike on Fulham season tickets now they are in Premier League. Giving notice to existing fans for next year rather than making a little on remaining seats I suspect. Khan gets millions from promotion so prices do not have to go up. But he is a business man.

Is it more expensive than when they had Dempsey and Schwarzer in top flight?

Next World Cup will be even better (worse) with the expanded field. Watch New Zealand pot five against Trinidad or some other pony nation.

I have no expectations for England. Any hope of getting out of group has evaporated when they couldn't get a goal to get past mighty Iceland in the Euros.

Yes, not a fan of the expansion. Think the way it is now allows for enough variety and interest without the prospect of watching minnows scrapping about.

Expectations around England seem so low they might actually surprise. But we know at the pointy end it will be the usual suspects.

In other news, spent three hours last night coaching juniors where I had to jump in with a lot of the activities. Am feeling it today.

Yes, not a fan of the expansion. Think the way it is now allows for enough variety and interest without the prospect of watching minnows scrapping about.

Expectations around England seem so low they might actually surprise. But we know at the pointy end it will be the usual suspects.

Isn't it now proven that Russia and Qatar bribed FIFA to host the World Cup? I'm not sure why we continue to host the tournaments in known offenders.

I just walked by a Harry Kane advert. He's the face of England now with Rooney gone.

World Cup and England team have little appeal for me. I may watch some matches but I am fairly cynical about the competition.

Then again I was in the old Wembley stadium when England won a quarter final and also when England won a semi final. Watched final on telly but saw third fourth place final in the stadium. Ticket prices were very reasonable in those days.

World Cup and England team have little appeal for me. I may watch some matches but I am fairly cynical about the competition.

Then again I was in the old Wembley stadium when England won a quarter final and also when England won a semi final. Watched final on telly but saw third fourth place final in the stadium. Ticket prices were very reasonable in those days.

Was that the golden generation?

I think that term started to be used about later teams. It was in the days of reasonably priced football. As a schoolboy I probably had a different, less jaundiced view too.

I'll be in Germany when Russia kicks it off. I already marked off all the England fixtures as "out of office" .

Iran is actually at the top of their group now with the Spain and Portugal draw. As I said to my German coworkers as long as Ronaldo is on the pitch then Portugal has a chance to go deeper into the tournament. He’s the talisman for the squad.

Messi misses a penalty and Iceland surprise yet another side.

35,000 of the 40,000 at my firm are probably in front of a television watching Die Mannschaft take to the pitch in the next half hour.

I have zero expectations for England. So little that a goal in group has me in tears.

England v Tunisia was like an old Roy of the Rovers story. Harry Kane could be Roy, though England would be better if it was not a multicultural side.

Tunisia were typical of the worst type of foreigners.

“When playing foreign teams, particularly in the European club competitions, the opposition would often cynically employ overt gamesmanship or downright dirty tactics. Continental sides were considered to be "sneaky"

If they went ahead, they didn't try to extend their lead, like proper footballers, but defended, like blackguards and cowards. It was, Roy always believed, something of a character defect, probably caused by the pencil-thin moustaches they wore, in order to distinguish themselves as foreign.”

The authorities were right to discourage English clubs from European competition in the 1950s.

Johnny Foreigner ruins the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom