The Football/Soccer Thread

England v Tunisia was like an old Roy of the Rovers story. Harry Kane could be Roy, though England would be better if it was not a multicultural side.

Tunisia were typical of the worst type of foreigners.

“When playing foreign teams, particularly in the European club competitions, the opposition would often cynically employ overt gamesmanship or downright dirty tactics. Continental sides were considered to be "sneaky"

If they went ahead, they didn't try to extend their lead, like proper footballers, but defended, like blackguards and cowards. It was, Roy always believed, something of a character defect, probably caused by the pencil-thin moustaches they wore, in order to distinguish themselves as foreign.”

The authorities were right to discourage English clubs from European competition in the 1950s.

Johnny Foreigner ruins the game

The sheer amount of passing around the box without a shot and then dumping it to the side to drive it in the corner reminded me of the Iceland game. Tunisia was quite obviously defending with everyone in the back and hitting back on counters. Cycling the ball in the midfield against that tactic (especially after they drew 1-1) was just useless padding of possession statistics. They were never going to come out and challenge at midfield.

Once that Tunisian player went down and got a penalty I saw all sorts of English players protesting and slipping here and there to no avail. That ref was never going to call anything for England so stop trying.

Ronaldo single handedly willing Portugal to advance.

Okay no one salivate over the Persian women in the Iran-Spain game because one of my staff is there and I don't need anyone ogling at her.

Iran almost pulled it off, good for them. I know they were getting a bunch of shit by soccer fans for playing too defensively. I find this comical given that this is a game which routinely has 0-0 ties.

Iran almost pulled it off, good for them. I know they were getting a bunch of shit by soccer fans for playing too defensively. I find this comical given that this is a game which routinely has 0-0 ties.

If people were giving Iran shit, what were they giving Iceland? If you're a minnow you have to play to your strengths. Going toe to toe with Spain would have been suicide. That's why there are tactics in football. 0-0 was probably the best they could hope for to advance. Now they'll need a point somewhere else.

If you have any Argentine colleagues they will be beyond sulking. You can have Messi, Aguerro and Otamendi playing for you and still not have a team.

If you have any Argentine colleagues they will be beyond sulking. You can have Messi, Aguerro and Otamendi playing for you and still not have a team.

I have Argentine coworkers here. They stopped watching after the first goal. Only the other Latin American folks stuck around to see it through.

More wrestling in Switzerland v Serbia. Two took Mitrovic down. No penalty. So much for VAR.

Mitrovic price will be going up if Fulham want to get him permanently.

39 year old Rafa Marquez takes to the pitch in his fifth World Cup.

Sweden just scored on Germany. Looks like a repeat of Spain's campaign after they won the World Cup.

BBC has "Incredible England" as their headline.

"This was the first time England had scored four goals in a World Cup match since the 1966 final against Germany."

Harry Kane must be the luckiest man alive today. Doesn't even try and gets a third goal for the hat trick.

BBC has "Incredible England" as their headline.

"This was the first time England had scored four goals in a World Cup match since the 1966 final against Germany."

Harry Kane must be the luckiest man alive today. Doesn't even try and gets a third goal for the hat trick.

And against one of the giants of international soccer: Panama!
Now they're ready for the title!

The whole farce. Unfair penalty at the end. VAR interruptions etc.

What's with the referee going to the sideline to look at a video monitor? I thought there was another VAR crew with someone there having the same authority as the on pitch ref. It looked like American football video review.

I don't remember them doing that here in North America for MLS footy, and we've been using VAR for some time.

Peruvian work mate is happy they won. First win since 1978 or something.

What’s wrong is that it stops the game for long intervals and players look for any excuse to go to VAR.

Plus VAR team offsite miss obvious fouling - for example the fouls on Harry Kane in the Tunisia game.

Mexico three nil down against Sweden!

Could go out - if Germans score.

Germany just keep going. Great mental strength.

So Sweden and Germany qualifying would not be a big surprise.

Moon has missed two great Korean chances.

Two nil !!!!!!

Yes, no more distractions from Merkel's disastrous politics like in 2014.
I think Löw is on his way out as well. There is no coming back from this. Wonder when the first comments will come about him being a racist for not bringing more mixed race players...

Germany honestly looked like Spain in the 2014 World Cup. The hunger wasn't there anymore.

Wow - 26% possession for South Korea.

I think Löw is on his way out as well. There is no coming back from this. Wonder when the first comments will come about him being a racist for not bringing more mixed race players...

Well he had Boateng like last time. Boateng got a red card.

He had another black too.

German mental strength ? Cannot see that continuing with a multicultural side.

And against one of the giants of international soccer: South Korea!

And against one of the giants of international soccer: South Korea!
Pretty sure they are better than mighty Panama.

Which makes the defeat even worse. It's one thing to loose against a top team, but SK is mediocre at best.
Jogi Löw already hinted at a possible retirement as coach.
It's also a big economical hit for the sponsors of the DFB team. And of course all the booze suppliers in Germany.
Germans have no team left to root for now. Russia won't survive the next stage and other German speaking nations or Turkey are not in it.
Maybe the MSM can find a way to blame Putin for the German debacle, like poisoning their shower water. We'll have to watch the Spanish team play against Russia. If they act lethargic as well, something is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom