The Fragrance Thread & SOTD

My favourites - the Tom Ford was a recent gift and is incredible!
Fragrances.jpg

AdP ftw.

Thanks to the kindness of MFDoom MFDoom I was able to give Chanel Sycamore a try. Pretty good, I dig vetivers but never gave that one a go before, usually just stick to the tried and true Guerlain.

Aw shucks.

Today: freezing weather --> Knize Ten, a classic leather.

Trying out the new rereleased YSL Rive Gauche. It's not nearly as pungent as I remember. They must have reformulated this.
I don't recall Rive Gauche being pungent when I bought it in 2008. I thought it gloomy and funereal.

Aw shucks.

Today: freezing weather --> Knize Ten, a classic leather.
This scent is a classic, but man it's not for everyone. I wanted to like it but I couldn't.

I really enjoy tobacco scents when it's cold out. My favorite is the Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscana. I need to order some more.

This scent is a classic, but man it's not for everyone. I wanted to like it but I couldn't.

I really enjoy tobacco scents when it's cold out. My favorite is the Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscana. I need to order some more.
troo dat. I only like it in the coldest months, and even then it's situational.

Might need to check that tobacco. Pure Havane remains my go-to.

Today: not quite cold, not really warm. Back at the office. What to wear? Guerlain L'Instant pour Homme. Glad it was cheap

Looking for some recommendations. Used TF Tobacco Vanille for a year and absolutely loved it. It's a bit too sweet for the half first hour, but afterwards it's amazing. One little spray lasts a solid 24 hours. Now I have TF for men and even though it smells good, it doesn't last long, so I'm not very happy with that one. I've had the Prada Amber as well, which I liked, but that one just ran out.

Looking for some recommendations. Used TF Tobacco Vanille for a year and absolutely loved it. It's a bit too sweet for the half first hour, but afterwards it's amazing. One little spray lasts a solid 24 hours. Now I have TF for men and even though it smells good, it doesn't last long, so I'm not very happy with that one. I've had the Prada Amber as well, which I liked, but that one just ran out.
Give us more to go on. What scent type? You want to replace or go with something completely different?

If you like Tf man and it's not long lasting enough the extreme version would fix that right up.

Try A*Men Pure Havana

At the Bloomies that has the full Zegna specialty lineup. The new Peruvian Ambrette is fucking fantastic. Damn I want to jump my forearm.

I might have to buy some of this Zegna shit. Anyone interested in going in on a split?

How does that Tom Ford play out? It sounds similar to Penhaligons Quercus, which I enjoy but is a summer only thing for me.
Citrus, summery, fresh, and a little soapy.

Many people on basenotes.net liken it to 4711 which I haven't actually tried, and a lot of people comment on its silage and I agree - the fragrance is strong all day.

Definitely a summer staple!

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Really appreciate it. I'll see whether I can find them next time I go shopping.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Really appreciate it. I'll see whether I can find them next time I go shopping.
If you tell us what stores you have in your mall I can come up with more. Also, read back through this thread for all the recommendations that I gave to Thruth.

If you tell us what stores you have in your mall I can come up with more. Also, read back through this thread for all the recommendations that I gave to Thruth.

I live in London, so I guess we have every store? Thanks for the offer though! I've read the other pages as well, and made a list of the ones I'm going to try when I find them.

Actually I think part of the top floor at Harrod's has been re-done and made into a scent mecca, with various mini-boutiques. Unfortunately I'm told that the big draw there is Roja Dove, whom I consider the Liberace of Perfumery. But every other major creative house is supposedly to be found there as well.

Thanks! Which Ormonde Jayne do you recommend? Never heard of them, so will be nice to try out!

Actually I think part of the top floor at Harrod's has been re-done and made into a scent mecca, with various mini-boutiques. Unfortunately I'm told that the big draw there is Roja Dove, whom I consider the Liberace of Perfumery. But every other major creative house is supposedly to be found there as well.
There's ton of scents on the ground floor as of the last time I was there as well.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate -- did there used to be some other fragrance thread? I was trying to find an earlier post from l'inc but its not in this thread.

BTW -- Boadicea the Victorious Regal. Good stuff if you like oud.

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate -- did there used to be some other fragrance thread? I was trying to find an earlier post from l'inc but its not in this thread.

BTW -- Boadicea the Victorious Regal. Good stuff if you like oud.
Probably got deleted in the great Harvey Birdman purge of 2013.

He only posted at the very beginning of the forum so I can't imagine what the hell you would be looking for.

Is Grey Flannel crappy to you guys?
There is a place that sells Floris locally, I'm tempted to buy, but I also don't want to spend $140+ on a bottle.

What I have currently that is being. Fragrance is something I still need to learn more about:

Lothantique Black Line
Grey Flannel
Man of Aran
Royall Spice, Bay Rum, Muske

I shave with Proraso and use Pinauld Clubman aftershave. I basically like the smell of tobacco and barbershops.

The only Floris I use is 89, but I may have some samples of a few others. I will check.

Edit:I have Santal, Cefiro, Elite and Mahon leather. If you want to try any let me know and I'll send em along.

I have not tried Grey Flannel.

Last edited:
Is Grey Flannel crappy to you guys?
There is a place that sells Floris locally, I'm tempted to buy, but I also don't want to spend $140+ on a bottle.

What I have currently that is being. Fragrance is something I still need to learn more about:

Lothantique Black Line
Grey Flannel
Man of Aran
Royall Spice, Bay Rum, Muske

I shave with Proraso and use Pinauld Clubman aftershave. I basically like the smell of tobacco and barbershops.
Yes, grey flannel is cheap crap. But if you like the way it smells then there's nothing wrong with it. There are tons of tobacco and manly styled scents out there for you to enjoy. You just have to start somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom