The HAT thread

I think it is about time we had a hat thread. As i've gotten older l definitely found the need for a variety of hats, some to protect from cold, one to protect from rain and others to protect from the sun. I also find that as i've gotten older my natural colour contrast is a lot less, so a hat on top would probably work to improve a number of issues.

Can't get really good quality local hats, so online is the only option.

What l am really thinking about is getting some more Panama hats and trying a few Trilby hats to wear with smart tailored clothing. I am liking the idea of bespoke hats from Art Fawcett, has anyone bought from him?

Definitely want some quality hats, but not crazy expensive either. I also need to figure out if a Trilby works for me.

Anyone got suggestions of who to buy quality hats from?
Tell us what hats you own, where they are made, the quality and what you use them for??
Don t do it Shooey. Use science to stop any hair loss or greying. Or accept it. If you must look at the effect like an artist.

This is a beautiful Borsalino in Cervelt, a previous limited edition that can still be found. It looks like something between a Trilby and a Fedora:
230a7fd8b6fc51b0b75ea2206e53cd7a.jpg

I have been thinking of driving up to Castlemaine (2 hours drive) and visiting this place and special ordering some panama hats with different coloured hats bands like these, would like to order a montecristi. I was up that way last week.
Buying slabs of beer I suppose.

I hear Australians don’t give a CastlemaineXXXX for anything other than a montecristi.

Other illustrious homburg wearers.

Kings:

Edward VIII
9caec9cdfea515d375fda613a5f8de75.jpg
1923-07-essex-1-300.jpg

George V:
223294-1319819816.jpg

Politicians:

Winston Churchill
Churchill_V_sign_HU_55521.jpg
homburg.jpg

Former German chancellors, Konrad Adenhauer and Helmut Schmidt
Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-P046883,_Mauerbau_Berlin,_Adenauer_und_Brandt_mit_Presse.jpg

Actors:

James Cagney
7d2061d59309f2046c95979609b1c5ce.jpg

Edward G. Robinson
f8c773a29bfda2f58f25b1d58f33fe78.jpg
10dd3562f96293978ca784608af574ed.jpg

Frank Sinatra
935e1b915338686fbba5a86479093120.jpg

Basil Rathbone
16b14fcb0b31d0d9a78a310875504ff8.jpg

Gregory Peck
a8daa10a286c8d955ca6cb6e28e7a6e7.jpg

Last edited:
A modern interpretation: very unsuitable to me with sneakers. The Homburg is too formal for this outfit. Given that I don't wear sneakers and find them absolutely inappropriate in a classic menswear, a flat cap would be less out of place.
600b180220ce016fbfc865fb_WF545_BLACK_FT_1.jpg

Definitely wanting to own a Gill flat cap before the Winter is finished.

Either this in cashmere (have to wait patently, they are limited)
Gill cap - cashmere 2.jpg

or this is tweed
Gill cap - tweed 3.jpg

Pricey, but proper made-in-Scotland master hat maker quality apparently. Other Lock hats are Czech Republic.

I have two flat caps for winter, both in black. But I will place an order in Tweed to match either of my Tweed car coats. As mentioned earlier, I am a customer of Lawrence and Foster.

I have two flat caps for winter, both in black. But I will place an order in Tweed to match either of my Tweed car coats. As mentioned earlier, I am a customer of Lawrence and Foster.

They do a Cashmere cap...

Maybe we could merge this with the original hat thread:

Another Borsalino: this is called Anello Gazzella in the Durra colour (it's a nice tobacco shade, greenish-brown). The felt is brushed so to achieve a shaggy look (as better seen in the second picture taken from the web; also the colour is more faithful).

20210506_112110.jpg
2B5B7A9A-2865-4F48-AD76-D226EA2F291B.jpeg

Bought a proper Lock hat, a handmade cashmere cap made by the famous Mr Gill in Scotland. Have been waiting for a while for my size to come in. Looking forward to getting this.
Lock Gill cashmere cap.jpg

My other felt cap from Lock is an unlined wholecut and made by their cap maker in the Czech Republic. It wears warm. It is o.k, but l am wanting a great hat wearing experience.

I am expecting great things from Mr Gill. Hope it is worth it.

Bought a proper Lock hat, a handmade cashmere cap made by the famous Mr Gill in Scotland. Have been waiting for a while for my size to come in. Looking forward to getting this.
View attachment 38162

My other felt cap from Lock is an unlined wholecut and made by their cap maker in the Czech Republic. It wears warm. It is o.k, but l am wanting a great hat wearing experience.

I am expecting great things from Mr Gill. Hope it is worth it.
Shooey how does a hat “wear warm” vs a hat that doesn’t? I assume it makes you sweat more, so if that’s the case, doesn’t it just mean the hat isn’t suitable for the day’s climate?

Shooey how does a hat “wear warm” vs a hat that doesn’t? I assume it makes you sweat more, so if that’s the case, doesn’t it just mean the hat isn’t suitable for the day’s climate?

Too hot to wear inside, v's a cap that can be worn inside and outside with comfort.

Too hot to wear inside, v's a cap that can be worn inside and outside with comfort.
but isn't that ultimately climate related? i presume its too hot to wear inside because the heat is on? i can't imagine going outside on a sunny day and wearing the hat but coming back inside into the air conditioning and feeling like you were going to stroke out.

Honestly I don't see any need to have a hat to wear inside, as anyway the etiquette prescribes you not wearing headgear in closed rooms. Who wants to wear a hat at home? The same in an office, in a church, in a restaurant and at the (movie) theatre. Of course you may leave it on on a bus, train or plane, but take it off as well.

but isn't that ultimately climate related? i presume its too hot to wear inside because the heat is on? i can't imagine going outside on a sunny day and wearing the hat but coming back inside into the air conditioning and feeling like you were going to stroke out.

No. I can wear my other cap inside and outside with no problems, and l can go for a walk in reasonably cool weather and my head doesn't get hot, but I can't with my felt cap because l get hot more easily.

lets all ponder which one of these photos doesn't fit with the others
That gives me an idea. Would it be possible for those venturing into hat wearing to post pics of themselves wearing theirs? Could be interesting and might promote more interest among the hatless.

Bookmarking a boater hat for future purchase to wear with my navy blazer, white trousers and future navy/white Johnny Lobb spectators.

Boater hat - o'connells.jpg

One day l may even order a blazer like the one of the left. I really like clothes like these.

Blazer - dream.jpg

Bookmarking a boater hat for future purchase to wear with my navy blazer, white trousers and future navy/white Johnny Lobb spectators.

View attachment 38195

One day l may even order a blazer like the one of the left. I really like clothes like these.

View attachment 38196
Instead of white trousers (probably cotton) I would prefer cream or ecru wool ones.

Honestly I don't see any need to have a hat to wear inside, as anyway the etiquette prescribes you not wearing headgear in closed rooms. Who wants to wear a hat at home? The same in an office, in a church, in a restaurant and at the (movie) theatre. Of course you may leave it on on a bus, train or plane, but take it off as well.
I highly doubt your big Johnny Lobbs have ever been on a bus....

That gives me an idea. Would it be possible for those venturing into hat wearing to post pics of themselves wearing theirs? Could be interesting and might promote more interest among the hatless.
We can do this too on the underwear thread, potentially only in public, back of the police van etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom