The HAT thread

I had these in the 80's when as a MOD when a youth.
I was a little Mod in the 60s and had some type of hat, but don't recall wearing it often.

I definitely didn't wear it as often as the Cowboy hat that I wore all the time 10 or more years earlier along with a studded belt and holsters for my toy revolvers.

Last edited:
Current hat collection:

Royal Stewart, Black Watch Plaid Wool Cap from Country Classics
Harris Tweed Cap, gift from Scotland
Filson Insulated Tin Cloth Packer Hat - Used this one a lot this winter
Columbia Fishing Hat
Grey Stetson Whippet Fedora

I'd love to add a new panama hat and more tartan wool caps.

Last edited:
Bought a proper Lock hat, a handmade cashmere cap made by the famous Mr Gill in Scotland. Have been waiting for a while for my size to come in. Looking forward to getting this.
View attachment 38162

My other felt cap from Lock is an unlined wholecut and made by their cap maker in the Czech Republic. It wears warm. It is o.k, but l am wanting a great hat wearing experience.

I am expecting great things from Mr Gill. Hope it is worth it.

I got my cashmere cap from Lock made by Mr Gill, and despite it using nice materials l was quite disappointed. Nothing really great about it, feels quite flimsy and forgettable really....was expecting something robust and solid. I actually like my felt cap made by the cap maker in the Czech Republic (Lock) much better, it is a great wholecut design (very clever) and fits deeper on the head. I might try another Gill cap in tweed and will definitely buy another felt cap and then move on.

Will probably get a hat like this very soon. Will come in very handy after getting my hair cut, especially when going to the park on Sunday mornings to meditate or when l meditate outside at night during winter. Need something to keep the ears warm. This type of hat will be perfect for those winter mornings and various cold evenings when l need to pop up the street.
Fur hat 1.jpg

or from here: I don't want anything too hot, so some of these might be overkill.

Fur hat 2.jpg Fur hat 3.jpg Fur hat 4.jpg Fur hat 5.jpg

or these

Those fur hats above might be over the top for Australia, but this aussie fur hat might be just the ticket.

Fur hat 6.jpg

I am not in the league of the big fur hat daddies. I'll just play the role of a small daddy and get the aussie sheepskin version.

The biggest of the fur hat daddies wear these.
Bear fur hat.jpg

I got my cashmere cap from Lock made by Mr Gill, and despite it using nice materials l was quite disappointed. Nothing really great about it, feels quite flimsy and forgettable really....was expecting something robust and solid. I actually like my felt cap made by the cap maker in the Czech Republic (Lock) much better, it is a great wholecut design (very clever) and fits deeper on the head. I might try another Gill cap in tweed and will definitely buy another felt cap and then move on.

Will probably get a hat like this very soon. Will come in very handy after getting my hair cut, especially when going to the park on Sunday mornings to meditate or when l meditate outside at night during winter. Need something to keep the ears warm. This type of hat will be perfect for those winter mornings and various cold evenings when l need to pop up the street.
View attachment 38493

or from here: I don't want anything too hot, so some of these might be overkill.

View attachment 38494View attachment 38495View attachment 38496View attachment 38497

or these
Is it that cold in Australia? Can't you just stick a dead possum on your head?

Found this local bloke. I will call in and check out his hats on the way to Double Monk when l pick up some gloves.

I suspect his hats are not high quality,for example his boaters have a pretty lose weave.
Boater - Hills Hats 1.jpg

This boater he sells looks better.
Boater - Hills Hats 2.jpg

But not as solid at the boater by O'connells.
Boater Oconnells.jpg

Yep, when l look at these pics it is easy to tell that the local hats are cheap. Probably got vinyl sweat bands inside them too.

Another example of the type of nonsense sold in my city, a city of over 6 million people. Just crazy!

Material: 51% Polyester, 28% Acrylic, 10% Viscose, 5% Cotton, 4% Polyamide, 2% Wool

Last edited:
Found this local bloke. I will call in and check out his hats on the way to Double Monk when l pick up some gloves.

I suspect his hats are not high quality,for example his boaters have a pretty lose weave.
View attachment 38541

This boater he sells looks better.
View attachment 38542

But not as solid at the boater by O'connells.
View attachment 38543

Yep, when l look at these pics it is easy to tell that the local hats are cheap. Probably got vinyl sweat bands inside them too.

Another example of the type of nonsense sold in my city, a city of over 6 million people. Just crazy!

Material: 51% Polyester, 28% Acrylic, 10% Viscose, 5% Cotton, 4% Polyamide, 2% Wool
shooey please don't buy one of these style hats unless you're going to take up employment as a soda jerk or start up a barbershop quartet.

A total nonsense indeed, that mixture is silly. To whom could a traditional designed hat appeal, made however in poor materials?

shooey please don't buy one of these style hats unless you're going to take up employment as a soda jerk or start up a barbershop quartet.
May also be OK for a day at Henley regatta or Melbourne equivalent.

Especially since your man likes brass bands too.

1622719815366.jpeg

May also be OK for a day at Henley regatta or Melbourne equivalent.

Especially since your man likes brass bands too.

View attachment 38561

I can get away with as lot of things because l am approachable. I can be dressed to the nines, yet a homeless scruffy man will come up to me and have a conversation, and we get along like regular blokes. I give off a good vibe so l could probably pull off a boater without looking effected. With me people look past the clothes.

btw, l have played the sousaphone.

Yes, l am considering a striped blazer also. I am of a decent age now, and l could make it my style. People know l do different styles that most wouldn't dare do, and people know it's me. I would do a cravat too.

I remember a local fee paying private school in my town when I was growing up.

It was a bit of a joke, because all the pupils were non-boarding day- boys and girls , and were those who had failed to get into the top local state or voluntary aided Grammar schools by passing the Eleven Plus examination, but did not want to go to Secondary Modern Schools.

A boater was part of their summer school uniform. Sadly this did not make them any more intelligent or successful; it just made them look even sillier.

Last edited:
A boater was part of their summer school uniform. Sadly this did not make them any more intelligent or successful; it just made them look even sillier.

Boaters are definitely more doable than people think. They certainly don't have to look silly.

Now for some fun. Posting pics of blokes in boaters

Man takes it all in his stride, and no costume here. A win for the boater hat.
Boater hat man 1.jpg

what to do v's what NOT to do - picture essay

Too much costume.
MAYB7Y.jpg

Could this fella pull off a boater in real life? Maybe not, but at the regatta, definitely.
JHTBTW.jpg

This image doesn't help us guys wanting to get into boaters.
T83M8Y.jpg

Definitely looks the part at the regatta
AFPYD0.jpg

The boater image destroyed yet again by lolly pop salesmen.
C6G0NG.jpg

A bloke playing costume with his monocle and other accessories. Makes it hard for us wannabee boater men.
GGR74C.jpg

A vicar in a boater at the regatta. Meh.
AK026F.jpg

and of course the Pitti men add to the costume.
Boater hat man 2.jpeg

Isn't that fellow in the boater a treat. The flower, the p.s, the cigar, the boater...he's really trying to do it all.
Boater hat man 3.jpeg

men being dainty in costume
Boater hat man 4.jpeg

Attachments

• GGR74C.jpg
    GGR74C.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Pith Helmets

O.k, lets move onto hot weather head wear. In Australia the weather gets really hot, and numerous guys wear pith helmets. They are supposed to be fantastic when out in the hot weather all day because they keep the head cool. You soak in water and wear it, and it is like a cooling system on your head. I am definitely gonna try `em. When it is hot, who cares what you look like....i'll wear linen shirt and trousers, AND a pith helmet. It will be especially handy when l am in the park each Sunday.

Made from 100% genuine pith.

Pith helmets.jpg

I could do that one above, but definitely not this below.
Pith helmets 1.jpg

Boaters are definitely more doable than people think. They certainly don't have to look silly.

Now for some fun. Posting pics of blokes in boaters

Man takes it all in his stride, and no costume here. A win for the boater hat.
View attachment 38587

Too much costume.
View attachment 38588

Could this fella pull off a boater in real life? Maybe not, but at the regatta, definitely.
View attachment 38589

This image doesn't help us guys wanting to get into boaters.
View attachment 38590

Definitely looks the part at the regatta
View attachment 38591

The boater image destroyed yet again by lolly pop salesmen.
View attachment 38592

A bloke playing costume with his monocle and other accessories. Makes it hard for us wannabee boater men.
View attachment 38593

A vicar in a boater at the regatta. Meh.
View attachment 38595

and of course the Pitti men add to the costume.
View attachment 38596View attachment 38597

men being dainty in costume
View attachment 38598
If you like them, that's fine. I do find them funny I have to admit.

Mind you, I would never laugh at a guy in a boater.

I can never forget being on the upper deck of my hometown bus as a teenager on my way to the coffee bar. The bus stopped and the hardest guy in town got on wearing a boater and a striped blazer. He was covered in blood. It was the blood of three other locals, who were lying on the pavement below. They had laughed at his boater.

Last edited:
If you like them, that's fine. I do find them funny I have to admit.

Mind you, I would never laugh at a guy in a boater.

I can never forget being on the upper deck of my hometown bus as a teenager on my way to the coffee bar. The bus stopped and the hardest guy in town got on wearing a boater and a striped blazer. He was covered in blood it was the blood of three other locals, who were lying on the pavement below. They had laughed at his boater.

It seems that boaters divide people. I don't think they look bad or silly when done nicely, but l think a lot of people aren't used to such a style these days. It looks too nice and polished, and people are not used to it. Some people might find it funny, but there will be many who won't, and probably wish they had the guts to do it too.

Truthfully, l don't think people have the confidence to dress up anymore. People want to hide and be the same as everyone else. Life is too short to do that. I want to enjoy my clothes.

Go with the pith helmet.

I'll give it a go, and to heck what anyone thinks. When it is roasting hot outside i'll do what needs to be done. They are said to be an amazing invention, they keep the head so much cooler.

This is a really cool looking hat, the Spanish Cordobes hat. This hat has major presence and is seriously awesome.

Lots of horsey types seem to be wearing them, but I am sure some brave folks would look great wearing them.

Now this is a hat! Nothing makes a statement like the Cordobes hat.
Cordobes spanish hat 1.jpg Cordobes spanish hat 3.jpg Cordobes spanish hat 2.jpg

Pith helmet FTW, my father has one from god knows where and when. I should claim it in my inheritance.

The dinky lighter makes me laugh, you can see he wasn't lighting the cigar very well.

I'll give it a go, and to heck what anyone thinks. When it is roasting hot outside i'll do what needs to be done. They are said to be an amazing invention, they keep the head so much cooler.

This is a really cool looking hat, the Spanish Cordobes hat. This hat has major presence and is seriously awesome.

Lots of horsey types seem to be wearing them, but I am sure some brave folks would look great wearing them.

Now this is a hat! Nothing makes a statement like the Cordobes hat.
View attachment 38601View attachment 38602View attachment 38603
....and it looks nice primarily on women

Pith Helmets

O.k, lets move onto hot weather head wear. In Australia the weather gets really hot, and numerous guys wear pith helmets. They are supposed to be fantastic when out in the hot weather all day because they keep the head cool. You soak in water and wear it, and it is like a cooling system on your head. I am definitely gonna try `em. When it is hot, who cares what you look like....i'll wear linen shirt and trousers, AND a pith helmet. It will be especially handy when l am in the park each Sunday.

View attachment 38599

View attachment 38600
First one is ‘Sanders of the River’.

Second one is Nigel Green in ‘Zulu’.

So you will be one of the “handful of white men whose everyday work is an unsung saga of courage and efficiency"

“They’ve got a good bass section, but no top tenors.” does not come into it.

I can get away with as lot of things because l am approachable. I can be dressed to the nines, yet a homeless scruffy man will come up to me and have a conversation, and we get along like regular blokes. I give off a good vibe so l could probably pull off a boater without looking effected. With me people look past the clothes.

btw, l have played the sousaphone.

Yes, l am considering a striped blazer also. I am of a decent age now, and l could make it my style. People know l do different styles that most wouldn't dare do, and people know it's me. I would do a cravat too.
I had a boating jacket in the 80's

Pith Helmets

View attachment 38599

View attachment 38600
I would wear this style only on a safari. As I see, unsuitable to elegant clothing

I would wear this style only on a safari. As I see, unsuitable to elegant clothing
Certainly not suitable for a suit or sportscoat or with jeans, but o.k with nice cotton trousers and shirts with epaulettes. Fortunately I have shirts with epaulettes, and could make it work on the hottest of days. It wouldn't look crazy on a hot day with the right type of clothes.

A nice hat that a contemporary gentleman could rediscover is the Homburg, an almost disappeared classic. I find it very elegant, more formal than the Fedora, but still wearable in the most situations, unlike the top hat. Of course you still have to wear a distinguished style, as the hat is not suitable with a casual or a sporty look.
View attachment 37131View attachment 37132View attachment 37133

The former Prime Minister Anthony Eden wore this style:
View attachment 37134View attachment 37135View attachment 37136
Anthony Eden had serious style. The English Hatter (Est. Amsterdam, 1935) - one of the more cost effective men's outfitters here in the Netherlands - use some of his photos in their publicity.

First one is ‘Sanders of the River’.

Second one is Nigel Green in ‘Zulu’.

So you will be one of the “handful of white men whose everyday work is an unsung saga of courage and efficiency"

“They’ve got a good bass section, but no top tenors.” does not come into it.
It's just gone noon, half past monsoon...

Anthony Eden had serious style. The English Hatter (Est. Amsterdam, 1935) - one of the more cost effective men's outfitters here in the Netherlands - use some of his photos in their publicity.
Oh my, I used to shop in the Amstelveen store...

Oh my, I used to shop in the Amstelveen store...
Have a couple of their silk summer jackets and their chinos with 1% elastic are well worth it, 2 for €150.

They've brought serious competition to F.G. van den Heuvel in The Hague and they're in the Mall of The Netherlands too. They know their demographic and niche well, unlike say Pelger, which is all over the place. They're English style for the Dutch build and the tight Dutch wallet.

I need a cap to keep the sun off at the pool and something I can stuff in the pocket of my rain jacket in winter. I have an intense (and irrational) dislike of American boomers and their baseball caps they wear like underwear.

I’m probably going to try one of these:

9FF4C798-28DF-4395-89E5-EFE0DE5A25A2.jpeg
BBA6075E-77D1-4185-A57C-34FC7EA096A1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom