The knitwear thread

It was actually on ebay. And very cheap. I could not believe it. It is absolutely mint

Now comes the sad part of the story: I washed it (by hand, very carefuly) and it has stretched quite a bit (mainly in length).
I was very surprised as I have similar older heavy knits from Scotland that I have washed many times over the years and they have never stretched at all.

Any advice? I have seen that some people recommended to wash again and dry in a tumble dryer... I am quite scared to try that I must say...

I bought this also some time ago

Attachments

• FCC88EDE-E998-4542-AF5C-D24CA32837FF.jpeg
    FCC88EDE-E998-4542-AF5C-D24CA32837FF.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 7DA03D7D-C9E6-4170-8A43-65558EAA6836.jpeg
    7DA03D7D-C9E6-4170-8A43-65558EAA6836.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 89
On a différent note, i am trying to find a source for vintage Scottish knits that need repairing (with holes...) for a project I would like to start.
I’m looking at ‘semi-bulk’ quantities (a few dozen ideally)
I’ve tried to contact a few bulk second hand clothing sellers with no luck whatsoever so far

any advice or suggestions would be extremely welcome

thanks in advance

It was actually on ebay. And very cheap. I could not believe it. It is absolutely mint

Now comes the sad part of the story: I washed it (by hand, very carefuly) and it has stretched quite a bit (mainly in length).
I was very surprised as I have similar older heavy knits from Scotland that I have washed many times over the years and they have never stretched at all.

Any advice? I have seen that some people recommended to wash again and dry in a tumble dryer... I am quite scared to try that I must say...

I have that cardigan, and l know how great they are. True luxury.

Those cardigans won't shrink back, they can stretch very VERY easily. Try washing it in hot water and leaving out in the sun, but it probably won't make any difference, and it might get bigger even again. Would not tumble dry it.

Some jumpers will not shrink no matter what you do.

See how you go. If it is still too big and you want to sell it, please let me know.

On a différent note, i am trying to find a source for vintage Scottish knits that need repairing (with holes...) for a project I would like to start.
I’m looking at ‘semi-bulk’ quantities (a few dozen ideally)
I’ve tried to contact a few bulk second hand clothing sellers with no luck whatsoever so far

any advice or suggestions would be extremely welcome

thanks in advance

I am not sure, but if l think of someone l will contact you.

Gee, you seem hooked on quality jumpers. You know what??...l am too. :lolguy:

I am not sure, but if l think of someone l will contact you.

Gee, you seem hooked on quality jumpers. You know what??...l am too. :lolguy:
Thanks a lot.
Yes I am hooked
Unfortunately I live in a place where vintage clothing is non existent...
I wish I could travel to the UK to try and source some stuff for this project but with Covid it is strictly impossible for the moment...

Received a navy cashmere Lockie today. Feels good, at the price-point.
Havn't worn a rollneck in years, so wanted to give it a go again.

Received a navy cashmere Lockie today. Feels good, at the price-point.
Havn't worn a rollneck in years, so wanted to give it a go again.

The navy Lockie's - in the Dutch cut - are the way to go. Superb.

Mine's got a big hole at the elbow. And there's no real alternative, all those cheap cotton ones I've kidded myself into thinking are a better cost effective option, because you can wear for an extra month at the beginning of Spring.

Don't know that expression. Is that a roll neck or a crew neck?

There's a specific cut for the Dutch market i.e. 6' and above (average height).

Being a giant amongst my compatriots, and having tried the stout English compared to the Dutch market version, I'm in the latter. You might find there's a Danish cut too?

There's a specific cut for the Dutch market i.e. 6' and above (average height).

Being a giant amongst my compatriots, and having tried the stout English compared to the Dutch market version, I'm in the latter. You might find there's a Danish cut too?
If a danish cut, is cut for the area where a danish usually adds, then I have to seek that out ;)

Honestly I don't even know, if Lockie is sold here.

The navy Lockie's - in the Dutch cut - are the way to go. Superb.

Mine's got a big hole at the elbow. And there's no real alternative, all those cheap cotton ones I've kidded myself into thinking are a better cost effective option, because you can wear for an extra month at the beginning of Spring.

Jumpers are like shoes, best not to skimp on quality.

I wish I had a secret source also...

I contacted my secret source and he told me he has a number of Ballantyne 6 plys, but he is not selling them because family members have now been given them.

Got my Corgi intarsia. It is really thick and plush cashmere.

Well...I think l am going to get a BIG daddy. Was going to get various pairs of custom trousers and shirts, but l shall do without those for the moment. I am going to get my dream cardigan. I will either get a custom Kabbaz or one of these.

12 ply cashmere cardigans from O'connells. In time l hope to own 4 different colours. Maybe l could buy one a year for a treat. It's the kind of thing where you've got to bite the bullet and just get it done!
O'connells 12 ply - dark grey.jpg O'connells 12 ply - navy.jpg O'connells 12 ply - red.jpg O'connells 12 ply - green.jpg

Hi Everyone!
This thread is a gem, just had to register in order to follow all your tips & tricks, and you "got me" into buying some knitwear I wouldn't have bought normally.
Just wanted to share the last month's thrift shop finding - Hard cardigan by S.N.S. Herning - think this brand wasn't mentioned here.
They unfortunately don't do cashmere, but their woolen stuff is very delighting - so substantial, shiny and heavy.

So happy with this one, was such a good bargain.
1605081339505.png
1605081548618.png

Now waiting for my first vintage Pringle of Scotland V-neck, and can't wait for new arrivals at my favorite thrift shop - dreaming to find some vintage Ballantyne there maybe. 🤓🤓

I have been looking for "The" heavy cashmere cardigan, and I can't seem to make my mind on which way to go.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the following, which I've found so far:

William Lockie 4-ply

Drakes 4-ply

Robert Old 8-ply (described both as 4 and 8 ply - so not sure)

Crompton's/A&S 12-ply

A&S 4-ply

I'm leaning towards the Lockie one, although the Crompton's one is also quite nice at the same price point. Thoughts? Any other options I'm missing?

BeggxCo recently introduced shawl collar cardigans (8 ply) - there are some nice colours, so worth checking (can't post the link yet) - though they are on a pricey side:
1605088092020.png

Jumpers are like shoes, best not to skimp on quality.

I contacted my secret source and he told me he has a number of Ballantyne 6 plys, but he is not selling them because family members have now been given them.

Got my Corgi intarsia. It is really thick and plush cashmere.
Shame about the secret source...
Corgi used to make really good quality items. Am I right in thinking they made some knits for Hermes at some point? (those with the 'made in Great Britaiin' tag)

Well...I think l am going to get a BIG daddy. Was going to get various pairs of custom trousers and shirts, but l shall do without those for the moment. I am going to get my dream cardigan. I will either get a custom Kabbaz or one of these.

12 ply cashmere cardigans from O'connells. In time l hope to own 4 different colours. Maybe l could buy one a year for a treat. It's the kind of thing where you've got to bite the bullet and just get it done!
View attachment 35514View attachment 35515View attachment 35516View attachment 35517
I wasnt familiar with this brand. It certainly looks very plush.
The thickness seems similar to the Ballantyne navy cardigan I mentioned above

View attachment 35514View attachment 35515View attachment 35516View attachment 35517
Do it.

I have been looking for "The" heavy cashmere cardigan, and I can't seem to make my mind on which way to go.

William Lockie 4-ply

Drakes 4-ply

Crompton's/A&S 12-ply

A&S 4-ply

I'm leaning towards the Lockie one, although the Crompton's one is also quite nice at the same price point. Thoughts? Any other options I'm missing?
Besides the ones you and others have mentioned in this thread, you can also have a look at the special edition Lockie from Frans Boone (provided they make another run):
or you can have a look at the one from T&A (at least last season made by Corgi):

I personally have just yesterday ordered the Lockie cardigan at a local store (and the camel version as well). I didn't like all the other options, except for the Berk one which unfortunately didn't work out.

I am very sure that almost all the other ones (Drakes etc.) are made by Lockie anyway, at least the ones made in Scotland. They look 100% identical, based on the pictures.

Additionally, I don't believe all the sellers claiming to sell 8- or 12-ply or whatever versions. It doesn't make sense, because a) based on the close-ups the yarn looks identical to the Lockie 4-ply and b) how can you sell a 12-ply cardigan like the Crapton one for the same price as a 4-ply cardigan from Lockie? If it's indeed 12-ply, only if the raw material is rubbish or if for some mysterious reason they use the same amount of cashmere but a thinner yarn. In which case it would just be marketing bullshit.

Personally, even if they would indeed use 3x the cashmere for the cardigan, that would be way too much in my opinion. I tried the Lockie cardigan in the store (just the wrong color) and anything thicker would be an absolute overkill and unwearable indoors and even outdoors except for the coldest winter days.

I feel ordering one of those new shawl cardigans will only lead to disappointment if you own a bunch of nice vintage sweaters already. I ordered a Lockie shawl cardigan a few years ago and it was pretty underwhelming. Fit was awkward (too droopy as is the case with most modern sweaters) and the yarn was nothing special (mind you this was camelhair not cashmere). I sold it some time ago. I'm pretty sure O'Connell's and many other manufacturers use Lockie (given all their product pictures look identical).

William Lockie 4-ply

Drakes 4-ply

Crompton's/A&S 12-ply

A&S 4-ply

If you want heavy, do the job properly and go for heavy. 4 ply isn't too heavy, nor is it warm enough for a cold day. 6 ply can be o.k, especially when the gauge is 8 and up, but not so great when it is only at Lockies 5 gauge. Personally l would be a minimum of 8 ply, but even when it gets really cold that is not always enough. If l were you i'd go for the Big daddy and do the 12 ply; it is thick and heavy, and you aren't going to get anything else like it.

I have 6 and 10 plys in cashmere, but none of them are warm enough for the really cold days (8 degree C). Get a Big daddy and do the job right!

Last edited:
BeggxCo recently introduced shawl collar cardigans (8 ply) - there are some nice colours, so worth checking (can't post the link yet) - though they are on a pricey side:
View attachment 35523

Yes, l have kept my eye on Begg and Co. I asked them who made them and they never responded back. Imo they have had them made by some company to a very high standard. Being Begg and Co, the quality is probably the best of the best with a price to match. It is something l will be keeping my eye on for now. They look amazing!!!

Worth a shot l would think.

View attachment 35524

They arrived today. Size 38 a bit short in the arms but good in chest and overall length.

A green one as well? 5 new ones! Wow. Easy to stretch the arms.

View attachment 35523

Yes, l have kept my eye on Begg and Co. I asked them who made them and they never responded back. Imo they have had them made by some company to a very high standard. Being Begg and Co, the quality is probably the best of the best with a price to match, but sadly they are 5 gauge. It is something l will be keeping my eye on for now. They make the nicest looking cardigans l have seen.

Now if they could do a 12 ply in a 12 gauge, that would be incredible. It would be very very expensive. I might ask them and see if they can market it as the world's most luxurious cashmere cardigan etc/....see what they say. To own a couple of `Kings of the BIG daddy cardigans', that would be amazing.

Worth a shot l would think. It would be a great adventure.

Last edited:
If you want heavy, do the job properly and go for heavy. 4 ply isn't too heavy, nor is it warm enough for a cold day. 6 ply can be o.k, especially when the gauge is 8 and up, but not so great when it is only at Lockies 5 gauge. Personally l would be a minimum of 8 ply, but even when it gets really cold that is not always enough. If l were you i'd go for the Big daddy and do the 12 ply; it is thick and heavy, and you aren't going to get anything else like it.

I have 6 and 10 plys in cashmere, but none of them are warm enough for the really cold days (8 degree C). Get a Big daddy and do the job right!

Such as? All the ones I've found so far seem to be 4-ply (Crompter's claim notwithstanding)

Hi,

I'm selling them. Let me know who is interested and in which piece.

I paid an average of EUR 345 for the cardigans and EUR 250 for the waistcoat. Will sell for the same amount unless there is a bid (plus shipping).

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom