The knitwear thread

Screenshot (696).png
Screenshot (697).png

Well well well, how interesting indeed (post immediately above). Just checked out this company that l never knew existed and found many many surprises.

Look at this: a 6 ply 3 gauge lambswool shawl cardigan weighing 2.6 pounds. Heavy.
Colhays shawl cardigan 6 ply.jpg

Ever more rare are thick turtlenecks. This one is also a 6 ply 3 gauge, yet is is only 1.1 pounds in weight.
Colhays shawl turtleneck 6 ply.jpg

Even better is the cashmere. A 4 ply 8 gauge weighing 1.1 pounds. Not heavy enough or big enough to fit me, but beautiful none-the-less.
Colhays  turtleneck 4 ply.jpg

Prototype of the turtleneck I've designed.

IMG_4076 - Copy 680w.jpg

IMG_4089 1000w.jpg

IMG_4105 1000w.jpg

The color is actually navy (so, darker) and not as blue as the pictures indicate. Just need to figure out if the grading needs any tweaking. And then....the damn yarn is going to take another 6 months to source for a production order due to the pandemic. Will probably attempt to crowdfund or allow folks to pre-order for capital.

Well well well, how interesting indeed (post immediately above). Just checked out this company that l never knew existed and found many many surprises.
It's a bit strange, they give a lot of information about their garments and the stuff that goes into them (which is good), but the prices do not seem to reflect they quality they presumably offer? Especially since they are "just" a retailer and not a manufacturer?

They are a start up. The founder Ronnie Chiu, can be found on Instagram. I have had a brief look. For Merino they are using Zegna Baruffa and a Scottish knitter, which is not out of the ordinary, what is different is their product designs. They are not just using standard OEM designs but have created innovative designs.

merino-henly-white-front_900x.jpg

Merino Henley anyone?

View attachment 41254
View attachment 41255
View attachment 41256

The color is actually navy (so, darker) and not as blue as the pictures indicate. Just need to figure out if the grading needs any tweaking. And then....the damn yarn is going to take another 6 months to source for a production order due to the pandemic. Will probably attempt to crowdfund or allow folks to pre-order for capital.

This looks nice. The colour seems a French navy blue.

That looks very nice.

Just the one colour (navy)?
Or will you offer it in a few different colours?

For every 100 pieces in the order, I get to add 2 colors. I'm likely going to be ordering 100 pieces (unless somehow there's much more demand for these turtlenecks than expected), so probably there will be another color. Maybe bottle green, burgundy, or white based on what I've seen.

For every 100 pieces in the order, I get to add 2 colors. I'm likely going to be ordering 100 pieces (unless somehow there's much more demand for these turtlenecks than expected), so probably there will be another color. Maybe bottle green, burgundy, or white based on what I've seen.

Can you provide some more informations, number of plies, gauge, quality of yarn? How can somebody order one? Presumed price?

Can you provide some more informations, number of plies, gauge, quality of yarn? How can somebody order one? Presumed price?

Of course! Thank you for asking.

The yarn is this one: https://www.jaggeryarn.com/spun-yarns/superfine-merino-wool-yarn/. It's 2 ply. The sweater is knit with 2 ends (instead of the standard 1), so you might even say the finished sweater is 4 ply (2 ends meaning it's knit with 2 threads of yarn together instead of 1 thread). It's 8 gauge. Everyone has said the yarn is quite nice and that was my initial impression. It was much nicer feeling than most sweaters I have had and on par with some vintage ones (even though it isn't cashmere).

If you're interested in feeling a sample, PM me (goes for anyone) and maybe I can ship you one.

For a pre-order price I'm thinking ~$180 with shipping included.

Of course! Thank you for asking.

The yarn is this one: https://www.jaggeryarn.com/spun-yarns/superfine-merino-wool-yarn/. It's 2 ply. The sweater is knit with 2 ends (instead of the standard 1), so you might even say the finished sweater is 4 ply (2 ends meaning it's knit with 2 threads of yarn together instead of 1 thread). It's 8 gauge. Everyone has said the yarn is quite nice and that was my initial impression. It was much nicer feeling than most sweaters I have had and on par with some vintage ones (even though it isn't cashmere).

If you're interested in feeling a sample, PM me (goes for anyone) and maybe I can ship you one.

For a pre-order price I'm thinking ~$180 with shipping included.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Sure! I'll probably make some sort of announcement here and on the other board to see if I can get any pre-orders once I confirm the grading.

Obviously any messages or PMs in the meantime are helpful just to gauge interest.

Again, I'm completely happy to see if I can ship something if you're interested in touching what the fabric feels like (if you're lucky I might happen to have one in your size that you could try for fit purposes but maybe not).

Thruth Thruth What is the warmer jumper, Dale of Norway (2 pounds) or Dachstein (3 pounds)? Can you tell me about Dale of Norway and the best place online to buy them.

This is a 1 ply. How would something like this compare in warmth to the boiled wool Dachstein?

How about this rascal, a 3 ply. Would it be warmer than the 1 ply?

It is a cold night (8 or 9 C) and l have the Dachstein on over a cashmere skivvy and thermal underlay underneath it all. Makes me appreciate how good this jumper is. No fire tonight.

I dunno about the others but the Dale Vail is good and very warm. Got it via sellroom in Germany in sale. Would buy it again.

Thruth Thruth What is the warmer jumper, Dale of Norway (2 pounds) or Dachstein (3 pounds)? Can you tell me about Dale of Norway and the best place online to buy them.

This is a 1 ply. How would something like this compare in warmth to the boiled wool Dachstein?

It is a cold night (8 or 9 C) and l have the Dachstein on over a cashmere skivvy and thermal underlay underneath it all. Makes me appreciate how good this jumper is. No fire tonight.
I remember when people used to have jumpers in ski resorts. You don’t see them nowadays. It’s all ‘technical’ clothing.

If you want anything from Dale Shooey let me know and I can get it out of their shop and post it to you if you can't get it in Oz.

I've had a couple of regular Dale sweaters and a couple from the Amundsen line from the late 90's early 2000's. The Amundsen ones blow the regular Dale sweaters away because they have a Windbloc liner. You can pay less for similar Dalesweaters from Icewear and Harkila. Lots of Dale on eBay.

The lined Dale is not warmer than the Dachstein and it is bulkier because of the second layer. I wear it mostly as an outer in cool windy conditions. It outperforms the Dachstein in those conditions because it does block the wind better than the multi-ply Dachstein. But that is with the wind humming and not a light breeze. Harkila and Icewear are similar in that regard.

The Dachstein is the first choice anytime I am wearing a wool mid layer.

I've had a couple of regular Dale sweaters and a couple from the Amundsen line from the late 90's early 2000's. The Amundsen ones blow the regular Dale sweaters away because they have a Windbloc liner. You can pay less for similar Dalesweaters from Icewear and Harkila. Lots of Dale on eBay.

The lined Dale is not warmer than the Dachstein and it is bulkier because of the second layer. I wear it mostly as an outer in cool windy conditions. It outperforms the Dachstein in those conditions because it does block the wind better than the multi-ply Dachstein. But that is with the wind humming and not a light breeze. Harkila and Icewear are similar in that regard.

The Dachstein is the first choice anytime I am wearing a wool mid layer.

Great info Thruth Thruth .

If you want anything from Dale Shooey let me know and I can get it out of their shop and post it to you if you can't get it in Oz.

That's very nice of you Sauce Sauce . Thanks for the offer, but l probably won't need to ask., there is enough suitable things to pick online.

That's very nice of you Sauce Sauce . Thanks for the offer, but l probably won't need to ask., there is enough suitable things to pick online.
No worries mate. Dale is very trad Norwegian. I've not got anything by them. I have got a Norwegian made chunky Roll neck in a trad style by Amundsen, but thats much later that the early 2000s. Maybe 2015. Doesn't say Dale on it, so maybe a completely different brand? Nice sweater. Got a zipped pouch pocket which funky.

Quite like this one from Dales new collection. Not really my thing as a rule but the patterns quite cool. One of those things I like but don't think I could pull off.

241268269_23849085371740259_5696602265367915989_n.jpg

View attachment 41254
View attachment 41255
View attachment 41256

By the way, if anyone wants to follow the irregularly timed updates, I've been providing them at the other forum. Latest update (currently about 2nd color selection) at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/group-buy-turtlenecks-made-in-nyc.661438/page-2#post-10865344.

Hey The Shooman The Shooman , at what temps do you wear your multi-ply cashmere jumpers?

It was 4C this morning when I went to work so I wore the 4-ply cashmere 1/2 zip I just got. By the time I got to work it was 8C and I had to unzip to vent. Felt the need to remove it at 10C. Methinks that for me it would be toasty below 0C.

EFB4FDBC-9C45-49B0-8E89-6F391EDF504C.jpeg

7A953185-7AAF-437D-AA88-F748E3E2A53B.jpeg

By the time the temp got to 10C it was too warm

Hey The Shooman The Shooman , at what temps do you wear your multi-ply cashmere jumpers?

It was 4C this morning when I went to work so I wore the 4-ply cashmere 1/2 zip I just got. By the time I got to work it was 8C and I had to unzip to vent. Felt the need to remove it at 10C. Methinks that for me it would be toasty below 0C.

View attachment 41607

View attachment 41609

That's what I was talking about: you need something lighter for when the temperature is 10-15C.

View attachment 41607

View attachment 41609

Lets put it this way,

I feel the cold quite a bit, much more than you do. On 9C nights I have had a thermal wool underlay, 2 ply cashmere skivvy, 2 ply cashmere v neck, dachstein jumper over it all. Does the job well, and serves most of my needs when dressed like that in cold weather.

If it is extra cold (5C) and l am outside l will slip on a large peacoat over it all. It works.

My more fitted 34oz peacoat works in very cold with a skivvy if l am moving, but if l am standing still I need more warmth.

Last edited:
No worries mate. Dale is very trad Norwegian. I've not got anything by them. I have got a Norwegian made chunky Roll neck in a trad style by Amundsen, but thats much later that the early 2000s. Maybe 2015. Doesn't say Dale on it, so maybe a completely different brand? Nice sweater. Got a zipped pouch pocket which funky.

Quite like this one from Dales new collection. Not really my thing as a rule but the patterns quite cool. One of those things I like but don't think I could pull off.
241268269_23849085371740259_5696602265367915989_n-jpg.41397

Sauce Sauce Could I ask you not to post pictures of women like that for Shooey - especially in jumpers - he's been trying to live a good pure life and he might have naughty thoughts

View attachment 41607

View attachment 41609

you rocking a fu-man-chu there?

Lets put it this way,

I feel the cold quite a bit, much more than you do. On 9C nights I have had a thermal wool underlay, 2 ply cashmere skivvy, 2 ply cashmere v neck, dachstein jumper over it all. Does the job well, and serves most of my needs when dressed like that in cold weather.

If it is extra cold (5C) and l am outside l will slip on a large peacoat over it all. It works.

My more fitted 34oz peacoat works in very cold with a skivvy if l am moving, but if l am standing still I need more warmth.
thanks. I was interested because 4-ply cashmere is new to me and it is warm. It was -1 C this morning and I wore it over a 200 gsm merino for chores and it was toasty. For me, this is a mid layer that compete with light down and synthetic insulation. Not as warm as the Dachstein by a big stretch. Two and 3-ply are outfit components and not mid layers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom