The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

What happened to the first thread?

There's a new Blade Runner coming out. Does that mean another Indiana Jones with the same 70 something year old actor is coming too?

What happened to the first thread?

There's a new Blade Runner coming out. Does that mean another Indiana Jones with the same 70 something year old actor is coming too?
The be honest, We're not sure. It's just disappeared.

The be honest, We're not sure. It's just disappeared.

Oh. I was looking for it to post about Blade Runner and then I assumed no one was posting anything interesting about movies and the attention turned to television shows. Good to know.

Oh. I was looking for it to post about Blade Runner and then I assumed no one was posting anything interesting about movies and the attention turned to television shows. Good to know.
It sucks but we'll just have to start anew.

Rewatched 30 Days of Night last night, about a group of vampires attacking an isolated Alaskan town about to celebrate 30 days of night. Pretty good vampire flick. One scene, the slow overhead drone shot of the vampires just laying waste to the town and the villagers getting slaughtered, is incredible. Most horror films would have turned that into series of jump cuts showing individual people getting attacked and murdered. But seeing the grand scale of it made it more horrible. Families fighting for their lives, etc... Was a lot better movie than I thought it would be.

Rewatched 30 Days of Night last night, about a group of vampires attacking an isolated Alaskan town about to celebrate 30 days of night. Pretty good vampire flick. One scene, the slow overhead drone shot of the vampires just laying waste to the town and the villagers getting slaughtered, is incredible. Most horror films would have turned that into series of jump cuts showing individual people getting attacked and murdered. But seeing the grand scale of it made it more horrible. Families fighting for their lives, etc... Was a lot better movie than I thought it would be.

Ah yeah, that movie was very refreshing. I believe it came out right when the sparkly vampire hype was peaking. Good to sea it going back to the "monster" roots.

john wick 2 - not quite as enjoyable as the first but still, probably the best action franchise since the bourne movies. the soundtrack in this is very very impressive. i posted it in the music thread.

john wick 2 - not quite as enjoyable as the first but still, probably the best action franchise since the bourne movies. the soundtrack in this is very very impressive. i posted it in the music thread.

I really liked it. Great action.

I watched Underworld Blood Wars. It took me three tries to get through the 90 minute movie. The whole movie revolves around drinking people's blood including a dead mother's thousand year old blood to get memories that fill in the story. In fact in the lead up to the final battle Selene bites her own blood to get flashbacks of everything going back to the original movie. I didn't know vampires were prone to amnesia.

The casting is eclectic. There's always that Brit elder that I thought was Victor but turns out to be some other vampire elder. And of course there is always the handsome Brit that is Selene's counterpart. Funny they were so consistent with that type of casting they couldn't be bothered to find a hybrid Michael actor that had the same look and colour of hair as the one she fell in love with.

I watched Underworld Blood Wars. It took me three tries to get through the 90 minute movie. The whole movie revolves around drinking people's blood including a dead mother's thousand year old blood to get memories that fill in the story. In fact in the lead up to the final battle Selene bites her own blood to get flashbacks of everything going back to the original movie. I didn't know vampires were prone to amnesia.

The casting is eclectic. There's always that Brit elder that I thought was Victor but turns out to be some other vampire elder. And of course there is always the handsome Brit that is Selene's counterpart. Funny they were so consistent with that type of casting they couldn't be bothered to find a hybrid Michael actor that had the same look and colour of hair as the one she fell in love with.

Why did you watch it if it's bad?

Why did you watch it if it's bad?

Because I've watched the entire series just as I did with Resident Evil. I gave up on Pirates after the 2nd one, Transformers after the 2nd one, and Fast and Furious after the 3rd one. I won't even try to follow the X-Men and comic book ones. There are too few hours in the day.

I watched War Machine last night. Some parts are sarcastic and funny but other parts are rather monotonous. It felt pretty uneven. I guess Brad Pitt is graduating to his next phase of acting.

I can't watch most stuff now, so wooden and blatant to be annoying. Been like that for the last 28 years nearly. Weird. Good stuff still seeps through, but Hollywood has well lost its allure. And I guess the hatred we feel towards them, as Meryl Streep appreciates, it's not really about their politics or gobshite virtue signalling, it really is about the lack of a quality product.

The old studio system had a much better grip: work them hard and manage their public image very strictly, so that they appeared above vulgar politics. You can't dream with modern "stars", they're pretty much down in the dirty virtue signalling for justification of their very existence. The old stars, didn't need to resort to such BS.

I can't watch most stuff now, so wooden and blatant to be annoying. Been like that for the last 28 years nearly. Weird. Good stuff still seeps through, but Hollywood has well lost its allure. And I guess the hatred we feel towards them, as Meryl Streep appreciates, it's not really about their politics or gobshite virtue signalling, it really is about the lack of a quality product.

The old studio system had a much better grip: work them hard and manage their public image very strictly, so that they appeared above vulgar politics. You can't dream with modern "stars", they're pretty much down in the dirty virtue signalling for justification of their very existence. The old stars, didn't need to resort to such BS.

Kirk is still alive...!

Fast and furious 8 is not really enjoyable unless you like the actors.
Apparently there is a "not a scratch" policy in place for the main character and/ or their cars. Not to mention the clearly visible use of CGI.
Charlize Theron gets a bit long in the tooth, they needed a lot of make up to make her appear "hot". Clint Jr. wasn't a complete disaster.
good enough for a rainy day to kill time but in a cinema?

watched the new fast and the furious. it was truly horrible. everything seemed so fake, right down to charlize theron's face. she really got the full holywood treatment.

watched the new fast and the furious. it was truly horrible. everything seemed so fake, right down to charlize theron's face. she really got the full holywood treatment.

How was the Challenger though?

Just watched Wonder Woman. Don't get the hype. Found it way too long and the CGI is terrible, not worthy a 2017 movie.

Yes, but the symbolism!
we_r_all_wonderwomen_sm.jpg

I decided to watch this on Netflix because after I searched for Black Hawk Down, for some reason this came up as one of the alternatives...

It's hilarious..well..to me. I guess some people would be offended by it.

The live action "Ghost in the shell" is ok, but not more. The animes are a lot better.
I never noticed before how big Scarlett Johansson's nose is. It really dominates the close-ups.

The live action "Ghost in the shell" is ok, but not more. The animes are a lot better.
I never noticed before how big Scarlett Johansson's nose is. It really dominates the close-ups.

She has had a nose job already.

It looks stunning (the movie, not the nose), but sadly it lacks the substance that made the anime so good. That was to be expected from a Hollywood adaption.

It looks stunning (the movie, not the nose), but sadly it lacks the substance that made the anime so good. That was to be expected from a Hollywood adaption.

Yes, they managed to capture the visual atmosphere of the anime quite well, but that's pretty much it.
The strange part is that the makers of the film seem to expect the audience knows the part about how Major became part of section 9 and who the members are and what they do.
I also don't know why Johansson had to do that funny walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom