The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

Calibre_poster.jpg

Caught this on Netflix about a month ago. Def worth a watch.

Basically, 2 buddies go on a weekend hunting trip and some chaos erupts. I don't want to give anything away but the "event" that sets the movie along happened about 10 minutes in.

DON'T look at the preview or you will see what that event is. Just give it a chance!

I was not expecting anything good from it but was pleasantly surprised by it

Just went back over the last month or two of what I've watched.

Watched Land of Mine about the Danes using captured German soldiers to de-Mine the coastline.

Excellent film.

Watched the most recent El Chapo episodes.

Last Chance U new season was decent.

Extinction was a brain holiday. You figure the plot twist out pretty early

I dug Swiss Army Man

The series Magic City. Surprisingly good.

Powered through Bosch. Excellent. (Amazon)

Eye in the Sky

New episodes of Hinterland

Billy Bob is great in Goliath on Amazon

My recent Netflix views. Nothing new and groundbreaking:

-Gone Baby Gone: I have always liked this film. Casey does a good job and the plot is solid(until the end.)

-Leap Year: Another film that I enjoy when it is on. An early Amy Adams falling in > out > in love in NY/Ireland.

-Ibiza: Wow. This film REALLY tried hard to be Bridesmaid/The Hangover and failed. There were some funny parts. But they took a swing and missed.

-All the Queen's Horses: Highly recommend. A documentary about a small town Illinois comptroller swindling $53 million dollars.

-The Kingdom: Jamie Foxx and his FBI team head to Saudi Arabia to assist in the investigation of a terrorist attack on a US base. Solid flick.

Purchased a sealed second season of HBO's Rome for two bucks at a crazy store. It's a Maine chain. Did not see season one. Two questions, is it any good and did you notice I said purchase rather than bought, picked up, etc? Very Mitt Romney. Thank ye in advance for the flood of responses l know will come.

Purchased a sealed second season of HBO's Rome for two bucks at a crazy store. It's a Maine chain. Did not see season one. Two questions, is it any good and did you notice I said purchase rather than bought, picked up, etc? Very Mitt Romney. Thank ye in advance for the flood of responses l know will come.
Yes its excellent. One of the best shows HBO ever did.

That was the flood?

So, you think I should spring full tit and buy, make that purchase, season 1 'fore watching this two-dollar-sealed season 2 from the Maine Crazy Store? And if it's so god damn good as you god damn say it is (they won't let me blasphamize on AAAC so I delight in doing it here), how come they only made two seasons, huh?

Best, Mitt

That was the flood?

So, you think I should spring full tit and buy, make that purchase, season 1 'fore watching this two-dollar-sealed season 2 from the Maine Crazy Store? And if it's so god damn good as you god damn say it is (they won't let me blasphamize on AAAC so I delight in doing it here), how come they only made two seasons, huh?

Best, Mitt
well, its more bubbling brook than stream, I admit, but I've never had any complaints.

If you can get season 1 for $2 then ABSOLUTELY. To my mind it is definitely in the top 5 best shows they ever did at HBO. It flamed out because the show was so fucking expensive to produce they ended up running out of money.

blaspheme here all you like. there's also a TV thread with more recommendations if you need them:

http://www.dressedwell.net/threads/what-tv-shows-are-you-watching.211/page-61#post-222807

Thanks. Romans on HBO? Tell me there are orgies!!
Putting this on my watch list.

I’m just rewatching Serpico now.

Last edited:
Don't have Netflix, but I can't wait until the unfinished Orson Welles film is released. Might ask one of my cousins for their logins.

Serpico is nice. Remember liking that film. Interesting 70s fashions on display.

The Dutch 1977 war film Soldier of Orange with Rutger Hauer and directed by Paul Verhoeven. First time I've seen it, absolutely superb and lots of the outside locations in The Hague, Leiden and Wassenaar are quite familiar to me which added to the interest. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Just watched Upgrade. This was surprisingly really, really good sci-fi. I was actually impressed for once. Would recommend for those who like the genre.

Has anyone seen the Christopher Robin film? Wondering if it will hold the attention of a restless five year old.

the new han solo movie is on the torrents. its really really bad. this alden guy has about as much charisma as a plank of wood.

the new han solo movie is on the torrents. its really really bad. this alden guy has about as much charisma as a plank of wood.

Can't remember which of the many new Star Wars franchise movies it was, but I turned it off after 2 minutes into the movie.
And I haven't bothered with any of them ever since. Old ones had plot holes, too, but the characters were great, no PC/ SJW BS.

Jurassic World 2 is pretty boring. And pretty stupid. Chris Pratt's character outrunning a volcanic eruption and easily taking out trained security personnel?
I guess the purpose of the film was to introduce more dinosaur merchandise. Even though it ended to have another one, I hope this was the last film.

Deadpool 2 isn't bad, but I'd recommend to see the super duper cut. Not so much because of extended action sequences, but because of more background info regarding some characters.
However, I found the first movie to be much more enjoyable as it had a lighter touch to it overall.

Does that mean Harrison Ford is making a come back?

they made a new mary poppins movie. what the fuck?

I saw a brief mention of it and thought precisely the same thing.

A brief search, though, shows that it's a sequel, rather than direct remake, although clearly it will draw on the same themes as the original.

It's worth remembering that there were actually a series of Mary Poppins books, so this movie could possibly be based on one of the other books written by PL Travers. Interesting trivia - PL Travers was born in Queensland, in Australian, in a small town a few hours' drive north of where I live. She only moved to the UK as a young adult, to pursue a career in theatre.

I watched The Predator. It's astonishing how the sniper goes to his ex wife's house and rustles enough assault rifles and pistols to equip his band of misfits to fight the predator. Never mind there is a scientist woman in tow who seems to have no issues reloading guns and even firing a grenade launcher attachment. At some point the alien ship flies away with the hero on the hull trying to get in leaving the woman behind on a cliff. The ship crashes some not so inconsiderable distance away yet the woman jumps a cliff and comes to rescue the man using the camouflage bauble.

Operation Finale a dramatization of the capture of Adolf Eichmann in Argentina in 1960. Worth a watch on Netflix.

^Saw an ad for that on Netflix and wondered whether it was any good.

Is there much of the background (WWII/Wannsee Conference/Endlosung etc) included, or is it mostly about Eichmann's post-WWII life and the operation to capture him and take him to Israel to stand trial?

^Saw an ad for that on Netflix and wondered whether it was any good.

Is there much of the background (WWII/Wannsee Conference/Endlosung etc) included, or is it mostly about Eichmann's post-WWII life and the operation to capture him and take him to Israel to stand trial?

It's basically limited to his capture with a short flash back to him visiting a squad of SS Einsatzgruppen.

I saw Venom in the cinema. As someone who doesn't know a thing about Venom nor the comic books, I came away having empathy for Eddie Brock. I later understood I shouldn't have but the movie doesn't go into that. It took a long while to build up. They made the Indian guy portraying Carlton Drake a brown version of Elon Musk.

Michelle Williams looks a lot older compared to Brokeback.

finally got around to seeing Mandy. man, that was fucking awesome. like something out of the 80's. cronenberg mixed with spielberg mixed with romero. highly recommended for a weird ride.

Slightly disappointed by Equalizer 2. The first one is so much better.
Yet, not as bad as Mission Impossible Fallout!!! That film is so effing boring. 2 hours long (actually the total length is almost 2 1/2 hours, but credits are insanely long) and I skipped through most of it without missing major plot points. Why? Because there aren't any. Pointless and needlessly stretched out car and bike chases, probably put in to show how badass Tom Cruise (still) is.
And I noticed a weird thing: Henry Cavill has really short arms.

Incredibles 2: Worth a watch, although Disney couldn't help to add some feminism and, of course, some good old stereotypes regarding how helpless men are doing the stuff (supposedly) reserved for the female character.
The best parts are easily all the scenes with the baby in it.

Marvel's "Venom" is really bad. I have no idea why Tom Hardy delivered such a crappy performance. He literally comes across like a crazy homeless person who is constantly talking to himself.
You can find a lot of the Venom scenes on Youtube already. And once you've seen them you don't have to watch the movie.

Marvel's "Venom" is really bad. I have no idea why Tom Hardy delivered such a crappy performance. He literally comes across like a crazy homeless person who is constantly talking to himself.
You can find a lot of the Venom scenes on Youtube already. And once you've seen them you don't have to watch the movie.
the bluray is on torrents already as well. the movie is really horrible and i tom hardys' welcome back kotter accent is really really awful.

Did anyone watch the Crazy Rich Asian movie? I see all these Europeans watching it. I thought it was for Asians. Like all black comedies are for blacks. The one chap seems to have proper black tie on.

Just caught up and watched Trainspotting 2, absolutely outstanding. A film that is more than just a crime caper with ex-junkies and makes you question your own journey from 20 years past to now. As it happens 20 years ago I was in the Central Belt and in Edinburgh for parts and like Mark ''Renton'' destiny took me to The Netherlands. No further comparisons, but one of those films you get a buzz from that lasts a day or two.

Did anyone watch the Crazy Rich Asian movie? I see all these Europeans watching it. I thought it was for Asians. Like all black comedies are for blacks. The one chap seems to have proper black tie on.
Quite enjoyable, though not as "crazy" as the title might suggest.
Very predictable outcome, as it is often the case with rom-coms.

Quite enjoyable, though not as "crazy" as the title might suggest.
Very predictable outcome, as it is often the case with rom-coms.

It sounds like I should read the synopsis on Wikipedia and pretend I have something to talk about during Christmas gatherings.

BBC put out their top ten films of the year and the only one I recognized was First Man. I heard from a mate of mine all the action was in the 90 second trailer.

It sounds like I should read the synopsis on Wikipedia and pretend I have something to talk about during Christmas gatherings.

Don't bother. It's a rom-com, FFS. Just with Asians.
Handsome, down to earth boy from a rich (Asian) family loves poor (but smart) (Asian) girl raised by a single mother.
His family doesn't like her, she meets his "crazy" rich friends, you see how they party and a very elaborate wedding ceremony.
They put in some twists to delay the inevitable outcome, but in the end all is well.
Do I have to mention to token Asian gay dude?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom