The Movie Preview, Review, & Recommendation Thread pt. II

I caught that several years ago and nothing stands out about it today.
It was good, not great.

I've read about those gangsters over the years, watched documentaries too, whilst not 100% accurate it can't be in the non-documentart format, I thought it was good enough for me to not to turn off which is a high bench mark. Because most stuff now I find unwatchable.

problem-j-news-4.jpg

I was just browsing my queue and recs and saw this. I made the mistake of looking at the trailer. Do NOT do that as it gives away a big part of the movie. Will probably still watch.

problem-j-news-4.jpg

I was just browsing my queue and recs and saw this. I made the mistake of looking at the trailer. Do NOT do that as it gives away a big part of the movie. Will probably still watch.

I finished this today.

Solid flick about a 13 year old Italian girl who went missing the the prosecutor's relentless journey to capture the killer.

Not much more to say outside of some good performances. As stated above, DON'T watch the trailer.

3.75/5.

8E3A328A-1DC0-45BB-8431-D342986F4DC7.jpeg

7.5/10. The story is interesting, but it’s the cast that really carries the film.

We took the kids to see the new Spider-Man film last night. It was a freebie vendor shmooz - free food and drinks. Anyway, I ate a plate of nachos, three brisket sliders and drank two beers then promptly fell asleep through the movie. My son loved it and gave it 9/10. Daughter gave it a 5.

AAAABeB29cPcje_Fedf4Zf9Wm3IzBEWG7-Bc0b5jIdyJ2Q7ux6zP3HwZQSdM2lFYBg52C9ZHABBqQzaE-9W3z3V9tQ-1FfnX3t2m0qRrcj-YrUvTKs9ou48uIBzxnTFTsA.jpg

Sandra Bullock stars as a recently released inmate who now has to try and restart her life. She couples that with the search for her younger sister who she cared for pre-prison.

It seems that everyone is judging her, except for the dude at the fish plant where she works(who is trying to get in her pants!)

SB does the role justice, but this was just an ok watch for me.

Slight twist at the end...but still just ok.

3/5.

watched the new matrix movie. it was cool and had good action but i still am not sure of what the plot even was or what they were fighting or what the end goal was.

watched the new matrix movie. it was cool and had good action but i still am not sure of what the plot even was or what they were fighting or what the end goal was.

I have never seen the original or any of the Matrix flicks.

Every year I watch The Family Man and every year I realise my life choices and life is moving further and further away from the wholesome and proper life that the movie preaches.

Trying to get my mob interested in watching It's a Wonderful Life, they're having none of it. B&W for starters!

I did manage to get them to watch Elf with me yesterday.

Maybe Bad Santa is a better option.

That'll Be The Day, the coming of age film with David Essex from 1973. Quite gritty in parts with guest appearances by Ringo Starr, Billy Fury and Keith Moon. Worth a watch but more kitchen sink drama than American equivalents set in the late 50s and early 60s.

I watched Death to 2021 on Netflix. I forgot I watched this last year until they got to the Hugh Grant character with whom I imagine is how it must be like to spend time with Mr. Smith in person - especially when he was going on about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle or cancellation of white people and the next choice to play James Bond.

That said I am comforted I am extremely up to date on all current events thanks to Rambo including the fire in the middle of the ocean and all other American political hot topics.

Heist_%282001_movie_poster%29.jpg

Gene Hackman is the leader of a small group of master thieves plotting their last caper so that they can retire. Danny DeVito plays his financial backer/fence and would like the team to take down one more score before they go their separate ways.

Danny withholds the payment for their most recent job in an effort to convince him. Gene and his team are having none of it. Fuck you..pay me!

They come to an agreement.

The score? Snatch a shipment of gold off of an aircraft. The plan is sweet. The backstabbing is expected. The one liners are classic..."Everyone needs money, that's why they call it money!"

David Mamet wrote and directed, and his wife, Rebecca Pidgeon, co-stars.

Well worth a watch. The ending could have been tied together a little better, but a cool flick.

3.8/5.

Can't believe Gene Hackman is 91. Then again so is Robert Duvall.

Heist_%282001_movie_poster%29.jpg

Gene Hackman is the leader of a small group of master thieves plotting their last caper so that they can retire. Danny DeVito plays his financial backer/fence and would like the team to take down one more score before they go their separate ways.

Danny withholds the payment for their most recent job in an effort to convince him. Gene and his team are having none of it. Fuck you..pay me!

They come to an agreement.

The score? Snatch a shipment of gold off of an aircraft. The plan is sweet. The backstabbing is expected. The one liners are classic..."Everyone needs money, that's why they call it money!"

David Mamet wrote and directed, and his wife, Rebecca Pidgeon, co-stars.

Well worth a watch. The ending could have been tied together a little better, but a cool flick.

3.8/5.

come on this definitely deserves a 4.5 minimum. you've got to watch it a second time to really get all the nuance.

come on this definitely deserves a 4.5 minimum. you've got to watch it a second time to really get all the nuance.

I have seen it countless times. I would/should have gone with a 4. It's def a good one!

Michael Caine is 88! Crikey.

Time passes on...

Not sure where to post this....is it a case of sour grapes or ideology eats Hollywood? Be interesting any perspective from a forum member in the film industry:

The new James Bond film, unwatchable. I couldn't stay with it to the end, derivative and cringe worthy, we've seen it all before. Who cares he dies in the end? Except that Daniel Craig has now been eliminated from the Bond franchise. Zero empathy with any of the characters.

Time passes on...

Not sure where to post this....is it a case of sour grapes or ideology eats Hollywood? Be interesting any perspective from a forum member in the film industry:

The irony of the diversity craze is that most organizations have a top-down leadership structure where everyone acts and thinks as they are told. How diverse can an organization become when you're being told what to do and when you give the same instruction to your subordinates? The skin color or sexual orientation don't even matter. The people are going to think, act, and do as they're told. The way you get the sort of diverse thinking is by stripping away the stranglehold of authority and power from the top or to get the leaders to actually be open minded and greenlight a bunch of ideas they normally would not.

MV5BYzc3NGU3NzItZjA4NS00OTdkLTk0MWQtN2FmZjQyZTkwMTQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDMzNDc4Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Kelsey G and Julia S play heart doctors/surgeons looking for a transplant cure that will change the world. They work at the same hospital and are also down-low lovers.

They both serve on the organ donation committee....and when a heart becomes available....they, along with 4 others need to make a decision as to who gets it. They need to decide FAST!

There are 3 candidates: the sleazy(unconscious) son of a rich investor/the overweight fellow who wants to live so that he can care for his family/the single woman who seems content to just live out her life as is.

This flick switches between the past(the committee trying to make that decision) and present day, when the ramifications of that decision are somewhat played out.

I REALLY wanted to like this movie. I liked the premise and the actors did a good job.

It was just too drawn out and didn't seem to be moving at times. I looked up several times and it seemed to always have 40+ minutes left.

Caught this on Netflix.

2.5/5.

Terrence Malick's A Hidden Life about an anti-Nazi peasant farmer in WWII who won't take allegiance to Adolf Hitler.

Lots of Malick's motifs, especially the incorporation of landscape into the film. Good watch.

Started watching this again...

"The empire is in peril."

"You're probably too young to know, but the empire is always in some peril."

-----

"A world war."

"That notion makes you sweat?"

"Heavens, man, doesn't it you?"

"This is Africa, dear boy. Sweating is what we do."

4013C486-7084-43EC-B26F-FA6536F3E711.jpeg

This is a great film that suffered from bad pandemic timing. While a little long, it tells the story from the perspective of each of the three main characters in three chapters. Reminds me a little of Rashomon. 8/10

1643689879153.png

Japanese flick about industrial espionage. Solid film, albeit nothing flashy. It seems the idea of being consumed by work and by an employer is nothing new.

I watched House of Gucci - literally by myself in the cinema.

I didn't particularly think it was a great film. Jeremy Irons sounds like Jeremy Irons no matter how hard he is trying to be Italian. Jared Leto reminds me of some Roman I used to work with. Lady Gaga's Italian sounds Russian. Al Pacino sounds like an American born Italian being Italian.

I read critics thought the movie started slow and picked up momentum. From my point of view when it picked up pace and it was all about taking over the Gucci company, the introduction of Tom Ford, the foreign investors, all of that was rushed and didn't connect very well at the faster pace. Then there was the other woman in there too. Much was said about Lady Gaga's performance and in the final 1/3 or 1/4 she almost disappears. A Star is Born was a better performance from her.

On the other hand after three viewings I finally finished Bad Boys for Life. I'm definitely ageing more like Martin Lawrence than Will Smith who seems physically almost the same as when he started his blockbuster movies in the mid 1990s.

Paola Nunez. I'm never interested in women without at least shoulder length hair but how she is 43 and looking like this.

image1-1-1366x729.jpg

I watched House of Gucci - literally by myself in the cinema.

I didn't particularly think it was a great film. Jeremy Irons sounds like Jeremy Irons no matter how hard he is trying to be Italian. Jared Leto reminds me of some Roman I used to work with. Lady Gaga's Italian sounds Russian. Al Pacino sounds like an American born Italian being Italian.

I read critics thought the movie started slow and picked up momentum. From my point of view when it picked up pace and it was all about taking over the Gucci company, the introduction of Tom Ford, the foreign investors, all of that was rushed and didn't connect very well at the faster pace. Then there was the other woman in there too. Much was said about Lady Gaga's performance and in the final 1/3 or 1/4 she almost disappears. A Star is Born was a better performance from her.
Agree. I was surprised everyone loved it

sub-buzz-3157-1644166653-14.jpg

Caught this over the weekend.

What happens when gullible women fall for a rich diamond tycoon...who is neither rich nor a tycoon....and he starts to ask them for wads of money because haters are out to get him? Yup...they get hustled!

This documentary type flick examines how several women got taken after they met said "tycoon" on the dating app Tinder.

They ain't too bright those ones!

3.75/5 for laughs!

image.jpg

-A woman and her 2 young sons run away from their Buffalo home and abusive policeman husband. They drive down to NYC trying to hide in the city that never sleeps.

-A nurse/quasi social worker is hosting sessions so that people can discuss their issues. She comes into contact with the woman/sons after their car is towed and they come to the facility looking for shelter.

-A recently released convict gets a job by chance managing a Russian restaurant. He is supporting his lawyer friend at the sessions and comes in contact with the nurse when he attends one.

-The lawyer friend gets called on to do a favor by representing the woman(and 2 sons) in court. He sorta has a thing for the nurse.

-A offbeat young man is evicted from his home and loses one job after another. He eventually gets a chance working at the restaurant and starts to put his life back together.

-Bill N plays the Fugazi "Russian" who owns the restaurant. He just wants to run a successful place and give a few people a chance.

What? Huh?

This story and these characters eventually all tie in nicely as it seems that everyone is just being kind to complete strangers. A very nice watch. Not amazing. But worth the almost 2 hours.

3.85/5.

Marry Me. Jennifer Lopez has kids and is 52 and looks like how I remembered her when I was a tween. The problem is I don't look the same at all.

59A0AD4B-4440-42D2-A488-304819D1FBF6.jpeg

Somehow, this never becomes more than the sun if it’s parts. Great director, good cast, good production and a decent story. For me, it lacks pathos and feeling. 6.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom