The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

I don't any legacies to be President. Not surprised at the above.

Want fresh blood, doubt that's goign to happen.
 
Whoever gets to stand in the big elections will pose the least threat to whoever has control/ power.
They are all so easily replaceable. Remember how Russian leaders "disappeared" after a short illness?
Starting (or sometimes just proposing) a real reform is like begging to be taken care of.
A "scandal" with wide spread media coverage is the mildest form and a "public" execution the hardest.

I wonder, though: All those flags for the election campaign events, are they at least Made in USA?
Or are they made in an underdeveloped country like Canada?
 
Whoever gets to stand in the big elections will pose the least threat to whoever has control/ power.
They are all so easily replaceable. Remember how Russian leaders "disappeared" after a short illness?
Starting (or sometimes just proposing) a real reform is like begging to be taken care of.
A "scandal" with wide spread media coverage is the mildest form and a "public" execution the hardest.

I wonder, though: All those flags for the election campaign events, are they at least Made in USA?
Or are they made in an underdeveloped country like Canada?

You get exactly the government you deserve.
 
The New York Times has a article out about some speeding ticket Rubio got twenty years ago. Are they even trying anymore? They've become Slate with a better entertainment and book review section.
 
The New York Times has a article out about some speeding ticket Rubio got twenty years ago. Are they even trying anymore? They've become Slate with a better entertainment and book review section.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...ited-17-times-for-traffic-infractions-2/?_r=1
It is a bit disingenuous to lump his wife's thirteen tickets in with his four.
Sadly, speeding politicians never bother raising speed limits or lowering penalties for the rest of us.
 
The stopped clock is right twice a day. Climate change is a religion, not science.
Perry looks more smart with glasses!
 
Wait, is Rick Santorum doing the sweater vest gag again? Last time he claimed he did that to age himself because the geezers that show up for primary schmoozefests all thought he was too young.
 
Whenever I see any US news l get the feeling that neither group of supporters is going to get a good government.
In the end you get two spoiled brats fighting over who gets to play with the best toys.

Apart from that you have to please the military, big and small corporations, the farmers, ethnic groups, senior citizens and a lot of others like the gays and the ultra conservative/ super Christians. And women, of course. If you are older, you're senile. If you're younger they call you inexperienced.
So whatever you do or say is going to upset one or several groups of people.
I think a decent dictatorship would be in order. Just not use the German model. Make the guy with the biggest dick the boss and call it the big dick policy: "I have a big dick, and I'm not afraid to use it!"
Think about it. Women would want him, men would respect him. And the Asians would fear and worship him at the same time.
 
Whenever I see any US news l get the feeling that neither group of supporters is going to get a good government.
In the end you get two spoiled brats fighting over who gets to play with the best toys.

Apart from that you have to please the military, big and small corporations, the farmers, ethnic groups, senior citizens and a lot of others like the gays and the ultra conservative/ super Christians. And women, of course. If you are older, you're senile. If you're younger they call you inexperienced.
So whatever you do or say is going to upset one or several groups of people.
I think a decent dictatorship would be in order. Just not use the German model. Make the guy with the biggest dick the boss and call it the big dick policy: "I have a big dick, and I'm not afraid to use it!"
Think about it. Women would want him, men would respect him. And the Asians would fear and worship him at the same time.

I realize your post is only semi-serious but I'm kind of interested in fleshing it out a little. There is an implied criticism in the first two sentences of our system which consolidates a lot of power in the chief executive, as opposed to many other Western democracies, where more power is reserved to the legislatures.

Do you think that other Western democracies are less beholden to special interest groups like the gays, ethnics, farmers, military etc... because they have more political parties and less powerful chief executives? Because I almost think it would be the opposite. In a two-party system, a party like the Democrats can pay lip service to helping out black folks because they know they will all vote Democrat anyway. And all a Republican has to do is pay lip service to the Christian Right, because he knows they will vote for him anyway (I'm thinking of Bush, who had a Republican Congress and Supreme Court from 2000-2006 and never once brought up repealing Roe v. Wade).

Anyway, I'm really interested in how political systems work and was just curious how the special interest groups are addressed in your own country.
 
Well, in the end it's just the same over here, so I was not singling out the US, but it's the one democracy where you can see small groups having a lot of influence, like the weapons lobby.

In Europe you might have more smaller parties "specializing" in representing certain groups, while the main parties try to attract a wider range of voters. So they are pretty much the same everywhere.
In Germany each voter has two votes, one for the local candidate and one for the party (or main candidate, if you like). A party has to get at least 5% of the total votes (a security installed based on the experiences after the Weimarer Republik: Lots of small parties in the parliament which rendered it useless and finally leading to Hitler gaining power).
The total percentage is transferred into seats, but there has to be a simple majority for a party to form the government. If not it usually ends up in a coalition.
The UK system is rubbish (well, I find it so at least), since it doesn't acknowledge to total votes for a party.
For example, the Tories only had 38% of the votes, yet gained the most seats in the parliament and form the government.
On the continent (where we are much more sophisticated) that would have caused a coalition government.

And then, of course, there is Italy, where the parliament hardly ever makes it through to the next official election.

The EU is a big mess, since it's rules and regulations can interfere with the laws of it's member states. There is also the chance that a group of states which, lets say, a more agricultural/ industrial background tries to block or impose new rules. Add to that the interests of the groups mentioned in my former post and you end up with roughly 40.000 lobbyists in Brussels.

BTW, it's a pity that Thruth is Canadian. He is reasonably well educated, has a farming background and given his power to inflate body parts (would cover the necessity for "big dick" and large hands for "half slaps™) and his good sense of dress make him the perfect candidate.

hot-indian-bikini-girls-unseen-photos-2_650_zpsxvrly80x.jpg~original
 
Very entertaining but kinda sad - I had no idea other media outlets had actually run with this as a story. He should have just siphoned off money destined for disaster relief in Haiti and then no one would have apparently cared.
 
Very entertaining but kinda sad - I had no idea other media outlets had actually run with this as a story. He should have just siphoned off money destined for disaster relief in Haiti and then no one would have apparently cared.
I was surprised CNN ran with it as well.
 
Wow, politicians are lying about unemployment rates? I had no idea!
What's next? Telling the nation that the economy is recovering and the fastest growing one in the Eurozone (like Cameron still does)?
 
Wow, politicians are lying about unemployment rates? I had no idea!
What's next? Telling the nation that the economy is recovering and the fastest growing one in the Eurozone (like Cameron still does)?

What's novel is actually using the correct word: lying
 
Well, in the end it's just the same over here, so I was not singling out the US, but it's the one democracy where you can see small groups having a lot of influence, like the weapons lobby.

In Europe you might have more smaller parties "specializing" in representing certain groups, while the main parties try to attract a wider range of voters. So they are pretty much the same everywhere.
In Germany each voter has two votes, one for the local candidate and one for the party (or main candidate, if you like). A party has to get at least 5% of the total votes (a security installed based on the experiences after the Weimarer Republik: Lots of small parties in the parliament which rendered it useless and finally leading to Hitler gaining power).
The total percentage is transferred into seats, but there has to be a simple majority for a party to form the government. If not it usually ends up in a coalition.
The UK system is rubbish (well, I find it so at least), since it doesn't acknowledge to total votes for a party.
For example, the Tories only had 38% of the votes, yet gained the most seats in the parliament and form the government.
On the continent (where we are much more sophisticated) that would have caused a coalition government.

And then, of course, there is Italy, where the parliament hardly ever makes it through to the next official election.

The EU is a big mess, since it's rules and regulations can interfere with the laws of it's member states. There is also the chance that a group of states which, lets say, a more agricultural/ industrial background tries to block or impose new rules. Add to that the interests of the groups mentioned in my former post and you end up with roughly 40.000 lobbyists in Brussels.

BTW, it's a pity that Thruth is Canadian. He is reasonably well educated, has a farming background and given his power to inflate body parts (would cover the necessity for "big dick" and large hands for "half slaps™) and his good sense of dress make him the perfect candidate.

hot-indian-bikini-girls-unseen-photos-2_650_zpsxvrly80x.jpg~original

Thanks but I am overeducated for pubic office. But my gypsy genes would serve me well for lining my pockets from the public coffers and bribes from special interest groups
 
Thanks but I am overeducated for pubic office.

Not sure whether that is just a typo or a Canadian thing!

But my gypsy genes would serve me well for lining my pockets from the public coffers and bribes from special interest groups
You don't need gypsy genes for that (BTW, that remark is racist. Probably valid, but still...). If white Super-Christians can do it, anyone can try.
 
Not sure whether that is just a typo or a Canadian thing!


You don't need gypsy genes for that (BTW, that remark is racist. Probably valid, but still...). If white Super-Christians can do it, anyone can try.

Was on purpose.

Not rascist. I am Romany by birth so I can call my cultural brethren dirtbags without fear
 
Snap!
I come from a long line of cold blooded German Aryans™, so anything I say is considered racist, no matter what.
On the bright side, I can make fun of other Aryans™ without fear.
So, if you are: Tall, blond, blue eyed and lesser pigmented be prepared...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom