The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

The White House correspondents dinner was last night, I think. It's such a useful thing to do with the Obama time.
 
Alternatively, if the Dems could lose their religious animosity and tone down the abortion and sodomy advocacy, the moral majority might not rule them out altogether.
 
Alternatively, if the Dems could lose their religious animosity and tone down the abortion and sodomy advocacy, the moral majority might not rule them out altogether.

True also. I am fine with abortion though, less unwanted kids, smaller number of the prison population. Most of my friends, including myself, tend to lean conservative anyways. I think we have been alienated by the "religious" right by simply not voting.
 
19028fa1638a019f4b3ff9cdc2611038.jpg


The Tories here in the UK kept saying that they are responsible for the fastest growing economy in the Euro zone.
Latest figures show that it's not the case. What is their response?
"It would have been worse if other parties had been in power"!
Politicians, you just gotta love their logic!
 
19028fa1638a019f4b3ff9cdc2611038.jpg


The Tories here in the UK kept saying that they are responsible for the fastest growing economy in the Euro zone.
Latest figures show that it's not the case. What is their response?
"It would have been worse if other parties had been in power"!
Politicians, you just gotta love their logic!
What are your thoughts on the Torries wholesale selloff of the NHS?
 
The Tories here in the UK kept saying that they are responsible for the fastest growing economy in the Euro zone.
Latest figures show that it's not the case. What is their response?
"It would have been worse if other parties had been in power"!
Politicians, you just gotta love their logic!

"The stimulus failed because it wasn't big enough"
"A bunch of Saudis and Algerians bombed us, let's get revenge by invading Iraq."
"I'm a proud member of the most transparent administration ever. That's why I bought a personal email server for my work emails."
"I'm opposed to government bailouts and Obamacare. Except when they make me a billionaire."
 
"The stimulus failed because it wasn't big enough"
"A bunch of Saudis and Algerians bombed us, let's get revenge by invading Iraq."
"I'm a proud member of the most transparent administration ever. That's why I bought a personal email server for my work emails."
"I'm opposed to government bailouts and Obamacare. Except when they make me a billionaire."

There are Arabs in America, lets spend billions spying on everyone.
 
Elizabeth Warren's name has been tossed in the mix by the media, though she vehemently denies her potential bid. I will pack up and go back to the old country if Clinton/Warren become running mates and win.
 
I do wonder if a Girl Power ticket would alienate enough people or if the lefty "men" would be tripping over themselves to prove their feminist credentials.
 
My secret wish would be a Dewey Defeats Truman moment where everyone polled is like "Oh yeah, it's about time we had an all-female ticket!" and then they get in the voting booth and pull the lever for someone else.
 
I do wonder if a Girl Power ticket would alienate enough people or if the lefty "men" would be tripping over themselves to prove their feminist credentials.

I once would have said that the Fem-ticket would never be possible. But you Americans surprised me with the Nobel-prize winning African America fellow. Clinton-Warren couldn't do any worse.....could they?
 
What are your thoughts on the Torries wholesale selloff of the NHS?

I've heard about it in the news, but I'm not long enough in this country to have any personal experience with the NHS.
As with all public sectors where's a lot of money to be spent and earned, they are wide open for exploitation and corruption.
Insanely high prices for prescription drugs and so on, not allowing cheaper alternatives and so on. Happens all over the world.
Trouble is that a lot of people have become pussies who would not even want to endure the slightest pain, so they are using a lot of pills or visit the doctor every other day.
Especially senior citizens seem to enjoy regular visits at their local doctor (at least in Germany), and that's 40 Euro for a handshake and "How are we feeling today?"!I'm sure that, by comparison, any Russian escort will have to shake her hands a lot more times to get up to their rates and a happy ending.

David Cameron was on Radio 2 today. It was quite impressive how he avoided to answer a question directly, or at all!
Chances are that both main Westminster parties will get their asses whooped in Scotland, which means that Labour won't have enough seats for a majority of their own.
 
[QUOTE="Scherensammler, post: 104735]

David Cameron was on Radio 2 today. It was quite impressive how he avoided to answer a question directly, or at all!
[/QUOTE]

This never ceases to amaze me either. US Presidential debates epitomize the appearance of policy discussion when nothing in fact gets said.
 
[QUOTE="Scherensammler, post: 104735]

David Cameron was on Radio 2 today. It was quite impressive how he avoided to answer a question directly, or at all!

This never ceases to amaze me either. US Presidential debates epitomize the appearance of policy discussion when nothing in fact gets said.[/QUOTE]

This is really an art form. I've recently gotten into politics and been depressed out how quickly I've picked up this skill.
 
It is all about acting and no action

No, bro. It's action, but only for those that pay to play. I feel sorry for those idiots that sit in those town hall debates and ask stupid questions expecting substantive answers.

Yes, we will keep spying.

No, we won't get corpo money out of politics.

No, we won't change dividend income taxation.

Yes, we will keep arming cops to the teeth to protect our wealth.

Of course we'll keep spending insane amounts on the military, look at all these threats.

This is all you need to know. The rest is blather.
 
No, we won't change dividend income taxation.
I'm actually okay with that.
Politician speech for voters is like the first date with a girl. They've already made up their mind if they find you acceptable. If yes, nothing more is required. If no, nothing will help. However, you can still blow it if you say something wrong, so just shut up and be bland and hope for the best.
 
At my last job I got told to do the same thing when customers ask silly things like "Where is it made and by whom?" or "Is this really a good material?"
Apparently, if you ignore the questions long enough and keep repeating the prepared answers often enough people give up and let you have your way.
Way back, shortly after the reunification of the Germanies the then chancellor Helmut Kohl promised that they wouldn't introduce new or higher taxes to pay for the rebuild of East Germany.
Guess what happened! He still got voted back into office after that and was responsible for selling the profitable parts of the East German economy to big Western corporations for literally nothing, in some cases the government paid them to take over, or to build new factories (and then close the older, less efficient ones in the West).
His party (CDU) collected roughly 50 Million Deutschmark fundings that were unaccounted for, and when they had to pay a 6 million DM fine he went and collected that money from his friends within days.
Needless to say that they got to keep the 50 million and no convictions followed. Only the one guy who admitted to have given them 500.000 DM got prosecuted.

Heil Democracy! :drevil:
 
Do you think you have enough material for a thread on this? I think it would be cool to get an inside baseball view on this.

I do. But I really need to wait until after I leave the position to give any specifics.

When evading a question, I usually say the vague evasion. If I get asked again, I'll repeat it and then say something like "And that's about as much as I can tapdance on that subject" (this line sounds great when delivered with a light apologetic Gulf Coast drawl and a grin), "but I can talk about blabhblah" followed by a long statement on blahblahblah, ended by "so what are ya'll's thoughts on blahblahblah?" and then call on someone who wants to talk about blahblahblah.

I also use a lot of strawmen. Not the Obama "there are those who.....", but more rhetorical. I'm not a rabid partisan, and my background is in the law and auditing, so I'm pretty neutral in work. I say things like "well, the liberal argument is..... andsome conservatives argue....." and then give my own viewpoint. Since I represent a conservative, I sometimes try to give the most extreme conservative argument, and paint it as such, and then say, "but I think (my Boss) and I, like most conservatives would agree that (insert more moderate conservative viewpoint that now seems even more rational and moderate)." It really all depends on your audience and your message.
 
I do. But I really need to wait until after I leave the position to give any specifics.

When evading a question, I usually say the vague evasion. If I get asked again, I'll repeat it and then say something like "And that's about as much as I can tapdance on that subject" (this line sounds great when delivered with a light apologetic Gulf Coast drawl and a grin), "but I can talk about blabhblah" followed by a long statement on blahblahblah, ended by "so what are ya'll's thoughts on blahblahblah?" and then call on someone who wants to talk about blahblahblah.

I also use a lot of strawmen. Not the Obama "there are those who.....", but more rhetorical. I'm not a rabid partisan, and my background is in the law and auditing, so I'm pretty neutral in work. I say things like "well, the liberal argument is..... andsome conservatives argue....." and then give my own viewpoint. Since I represent a conservative, I sometimes try to give the most extreme conservative argument, and paint it as such, and then say, "but I think (my Boss) and I, like most conservatives would agree that (insert more moderate conservative viewpoint that now seems even more rational and moderate)." It really all depends on your audience and your message.

Not to come at you too hard over this, so I mean this with respect, but don't you feel you're joining the banality of evil doing this stuff?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom