I'll provide 2 answers.
No, I don't feel like I've shifted anything. You said "why the hell would you ever say anything controversial", which drew a clear inference that telling the truth was controversial. I don't believe I'm mistaken in this, as you were referring to telling is strait or facts that are inconvenient providing ammunition.
The "banality of evil" is a book, the phrase was coined by political theorist Hannah Arendt. It describes WW2 behavior of Germans as "doing their jobs" or "following orders". Your original post didn't question the phrase so I assumed you knew, but I have a thread about it as it's a meaningful human condition:
The Banality of Evil | DressedWell
Second answer, as
Thruth
pointed out, I am part of the banality of evil in more ways that I can probably understand. We all are while beholden to the elite. It simply struck me how seemingly "play the game, get ahead" you were about it, so I decided (perhaps against my better judgement) to challenge it. The distinction I guess I'm drawing is that the BOE pivots on a different inflection point when it becomes part of the political/elected arena.
We're probably a lot alike as we recognize the dynamic, but where we differ is that political bullshitting crosses a line. Maybe that's a point of debate, but regardless.
So, after understanding the meaning of how I frame BOE, do you have the same answer?