http://www.ianwelsh.net/trumps-speech-not-insane
Trump’s Speech: Not Insane
2016 JULY 22
tags:
Donald Trump Convention Speech
by Ian Welsh
Ok, let’s analyze what Trump said.
Crime is increasing, cops are being killed, I’m going to stop that.
I’m more with BLM, but this isn’t a surprising message. In fact, if he had not used it, as a Republican, I’d be shocked. (It’s also not true that crime is increasing, but that hasn’t stopped others from proposing hard-on-crime policies. And the perception of high crime is real, because of mass shootings and attacks on police.)
Illegal Immigrants are a big part of the crime wave, I’ll deport them.
Immigrants commit less crime than native born Americans, but this isn’t that crazy, he’s just going to do more of what Obama and Bush did.The irony is, of course, that Obama has deported more immigrants than any President I’m aware of, but hey, doing Republican policies doesn’t get you credit with Republicans if you’re a Democrat.
Stop immigration from countries where terrorists might come from.
Ok. It’s not going to make much of a difference. But as a logical construct: “there are terrorists over there, we shouldn’t let them come here”, it’s not crazy. I disagree, America has some responsibility (ok, a lot of responsibility) for the refugee crisis, and if you broke it, you get to pick it up. But given how many countries are already refusing Syrian immigrants, this isn’t far out.
Fix Poverty
He starts with African American poverty stats. He pivots to the fact that Obama is a failure for ordinary people, their wages are down, etc…
Fix Trade
America has lost jobs because of trade and has an 800 billion dollar trade deficit. He’s going to fix that with bilateral trade deals. And 800 billion trade deficit is a LOT of jobs. And no, other countries aren’t going to stop selling to Americans.
This is not crazy. It is, in fact, sane.
Better Treaties
He starts with Iran, and moves on to trade deals. He throws a bone to Israel, and so on. The Iran and Israel bits are crazy, but his rhetoric is no worse than Clinton’s. The Iran deal happened after Clinton was no longer secretary of state for a reason.
Attacking Hillary’s Record
I don’t agree with the entire laundry list, but the argument isn’t a bad one. Libya is in ruins, Syria is in ruins. The Iran nuclear weapons bit is a lie, but it’s one Democrats tell all the time.
And he’s completely right that if Clinton wasn’t so important the way she handled her email would have destroyed her life. An ordinary person would not have skated on that.
He’s right in the uber argument too: Clinton is corrupt, beholden to various special interests and judged on her record in an actual position of power: incompetent.
I care for Americans
I’ve hugged this American and listened to that American’s tale of woe. I love you all and I’m going to look out for you.
Any politician who does not say this sort of thing is incompetent.
I am part of the corrupt system, but I will now fight for you.
Because I’m a billionaire, I know how the system works. But because I’m already rich, I owe nobody anything and I’ll work for Americans. A friend calls this the “sleazy version of FDR’s class traitor”. It’s a good argument, even if one doubts him.
Reiteration
I’ll fix crime by appointing the best people. I’ll fix the inner cities. (
Sub Voce: I will care even for those who don’t vote for me.)
An End to Nation Building
Sorry, this is just the right policy. Especially since Libya and Iraq show what the results of American “nation building” are these days. While I supported the Arab Spring, its success or failure was no damn business of the US’s.
NATO is Obsolete
People have been squealing about this, but Trump’s position is that Russia is not particularly a threat, terrorism is, and NATO does little against terrorism. He also notes that America foots most of the bill for NATO, while it is intended to protect others (if Russia does attack, it won’t be sending tanks into DC).
I think that the way NATO has been used for the last 20 years (Estonia? Estonia?) has made a nuclear war more likely, not less. Trump’s wrong about the purpose of NATO in a way (control of Europe), but I think Europeans will be better off without large American garrisons.
Bring the Troops Home
They cost less to keep at home.
Sorry people, but it is way past time for most US overseas bases to be shut down. Sorry.
Immigration is a bad idea right now
It can bring in terrorists if it is from countries which breed terrorists and there aren’t enough good jobs for the people who are here already.
Border Wall
Practically his signature, not surprising it gets a call out.
I’m going to look after Americans FIRST
That’s the job description, people. That is not going to go across badly. If America can’t employ the people already in America, decreasing immigration until that is fixed is not insane. And it especially doesn’t look insane to the poor and working class who compete with immigrants for jobs.
The economics on this is dodgy, but the case can certainly be made (in England a BOE study found that immigration was decreasing wages for the poorest 20%.)
Bring Back the Manufacturing Jobs
Covered above: bilateral trade deals to bring them back. Not insane despite what the neolierals and economists who have given you the wonderful economy will say.
Cut Taxes and Regulations
I disagree, but this is a Republican nominee. And many Dems have said (and done) the same thing.
Fix of TSA,
Ummm, any politician not for this is committing political malpractice. (Correction: turns out the platform says this means not allowing unionization. Sigh.)
Allow Political Churches
I disagree, but he’s the Republican candidate. In any case, he just said he’ll fight for it, he’s unlikely to be able to do it except that he will tell the IRS to stop going after said churches, which was the status quo under Bush.
I love you, I love you, I love you
Grew up around regular people even if I’m not one now, think you’re wonderful. Honest. At least as believable as Clinton trying to pretend to like working class people. Slightly more, even, if they make him feel good about himself, he’ll like them.
Clinton is the more of the same candidate, I’m the candidate of change.
Whether you agree with Trumps plans or not, if he follows thru on even half of them this is completely true.
My Concluding Remarks
Pundits have been screaming about the conflation of crime and terrorism, and wailing about his NATO remarks. I don’t like the first, and I actually agree on his NATO remarks, but I am not super worked about this.
“I’m going to super deport illegals” is not a radical idea. “I’m going to be tough on crime”, which I disagree with about 95%, is not a radical idea. Clinton’s husband was responsible for one of the toughest on crime bills ever passed in America.
Now, depending on how far it goes Trump’s NATO policy could be radical, as could be bringing back troops to America. But it’s not a radical I necessarily disagree with, as noted above.
His trade policies: well, could go disastrously wrong, or could go brilliantly right. They’re certainly not de-facto stupid. But if you’re a working class or poor American the status quo is not in you favor, period. You need a roll of the dice.
I don’t support Trump, nor do I support Clinton, but the demonization of Trump is off the scale. I very much doubt he is Hiter reborn. He actually seems less likely to start a nuclear war than his opponent. Some of his policies I despise, but some of what he is proposing is not in the least nuts, it is just not acceptable to the guardians of the neoliberal status quo.
Trump’s position are reasonably consistent.
Trump is a nativist populist authoritarian. He does not believe in the American Empire.
More on Trump later. And judge for yourself, read
the transcript of Trump’s speech.