Today, In Awesome

fucking ridiculous japanese people. this looks like a good time

If riding a giant log down a steep mountain sounds like an ideal way to spend a quiet spring afternoon, theOnbashira Festival is for you. Held every 6 years in Nagano, Japan, the festival involves moving enormous logs over difficult terrain completely by hand with the help of thickly braided ropes and an occasional assist from gravity as the logs barrel down hills. The purpose is to symbolically renew a nearby shrine where each log is eventually placed to support the foundation of several shrine buildings. The event has reportedly continued uninterrupted for 1,200 years.

Onbashira is split into into two parts, Yamadashi and Satobiki, taking place in April and May respectively.Yamadashi involves cutting down and transporting the logs, each of which can weigh up to 10 tons. The logs are harnessed by ropes and pulled up to the tops of mountains by teams of men and then ridden down the other side. The event is exceedingly dangerous and comparable to the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, where a brush with peril is seen as a form of honor. The second part, Satobiki, is a ceremonial raising event where participants again ride atop the logs and sing as each is hoisted into the air. Participants of both events are frequently injured and sometimes killed, but despite the obvious risks the tone of Onbashira is quite festive with lots of singing, music, and colorful costumes.

Filmmakers from Oh! Matsuri were at the festival this year and edited this beautiful glimpse into the obscure tradition.

Farmer Saves Drowning Girl with Turban

Avtar Hothi and his son, Paul, were on their farm near Heffley Creek when they noticed a teen struggling in the North Thompson River close to their farm in Kamloops, B.C.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-drowning-teenage-girl-in-kamloops-1.3657327

Shared from the CBC News App for iPhone

cid:B80FB62D-7784-410B-A35D-7E476E0D8343

28306149270_ccfbf222b7_h.jpg

My neighbourhood, Southcore, is to the right of the baseball stadium in a triangle shape, and below the train tracks extending in a triangle shape to the red and white cranes on the right of the photograph. The row of buildings below the highway are part of the waterfront area and also where my brother lives. I work just to the left of the white antenna at the top of the CN Tower across from City Hall.

this might possibly be the best legal story ever. this reenactment by the Rick and Morty crew is absolutely amazing

http://legal.blog.ajc.com/2016/06/23/georgia-judge-loses-it-over-vulgar-courtroom-exchange/

Georgia judge loses it over vulgar courtroom exchange
June 23, 2016

A Superior Court judge in Rome last week completely lost it on the bench during a hearing in which a murder defendant shouted repeated obscenities at the judge and then threatened to kill members of the judge’s family.

A transcript of the hearing shows how an attempt by defendant Denver Fenton Allen

denver-allen.jpg

Murder defendant Denver Fenton Allen FLOYD COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

to get a different public defender devolved into heated and nasty exchanges with Judge Bryant Durham Jr. At one point, Durham told Allen that he “looked like a queer” and even challenged him to masturbate in front of him in the courtroom.

The judge, while provoked in the extreme, made comments that could land him in trouble with the state judicial ethics agency. He not only exchanged vulgarities with Allen, he also said it was his “guess” that he’d find Allen guilty and that Allen would find out “how nasty I really am.”

Durham would not comment on the incident because the case against Allen is still pending, his office said. Durham, a former private attorney, was appointed to the bench more than a dozen years ago by then-Gov. Sonny Perdue.

The extraordinary hearing, first reported by the Rome News-Tribune, occurred June 17 and lasted about 11 minutes. Allen is accused of beating fellow inmate Stephen Rudolph Nalley to death at the Floyd County Jail in August 2015.

During the hearing, Allen told Durham he would murder his whole family. “I’ll cut your children up into pieces,” Allen said. “I’ll knock their brains out with a (expletive) hammer and feed them to you. … The babies will be going, ‘Daddy, daddy, help me.’”

When Durham told Allen he didn’t have any children, Allen said, “Then I’ll get your nieces, your nephews, your sisters.”

Durham said he had none of those either and told Allen he’d “be in jail so long you won’t have a chance.”

At the outset of the hearing, when Durham told Allen he couldn’t have a lawyer of his choosing, Allen said he’d then represent himself. But Durham told the defendant “that would be the biggest mistake you’ve ever made in your life.”

Within minutes, Allen told Durham he would “hold myself in contempt.”

“Listen to me,” Durham interjected.

“(Expletive) you,” Allen told the judge and then continued saying the same thing.

After Durham found Allen in contempt, Allen responded, “I don’t care.”

Durham then sentenced Allen to 20 days for contempt and said if he said anything else, he’d add another 20 days for everything else he said.

“(Expletive) you,” Allen said.

“Forty days,” Durham ordered.

“(Expletive) you again,” Allen said.

“Sixty,” said Durham.

“Go (expletive) yourself,” Allen said.

“A year,” Durham said.

“Your mama,” Allen said.

“Ten years,” Durham ordered.

“(expletive) my (expletive),” Allen replied.

“You know something, this is going to be an interesting trial,” the judge said.

page8redacted.jpg

The back-and-forth between the two men continued to escalate after that, particularly after Allen began talking about parts of his anatomy and how he liked to have sex with “boys.”

“Oh, of course,” Durham told the defendant. “You know, you look like a queer.”

“Well, okay,” Allen said. “So now you’re calling me a queer in the courtroom.”

“I didn’t call you one,” Durham said. “I said you looked like one.”

page10-11redacted.jpg

Allen then asked Durham if he could get a court order to have sodomy performed on him.

“You’re so cute,” Durham said. “I know all the inmates love you to death. … I’ll bet everybody enjoys (expletive)ing your (expletive).”

“You ain’t supposed to be smiling in court,” Allen said.

“I can smile anytime I dadgum want to,” the judge replied.

Later, when Allen said he would masturbate in open court, Durham asked, “Why don’t you do that right now? … Do it now. … Do it now.”

As Durham wrapped up the hearing, he called Allen “stupid” and said he had “no idea of the English language.”

Finally, Durham said, it was time to adjourn.

“I’ve enjoyed this,” he said. “I hope you have. I know everybody else in the courtroom has enjoyed it, but you can go now.”

This is one of the funniest pieces of satire that i've read in a long while

The Cool Thing About Me

sqplnizipvndcsrvuu3j.jpg

Photo: Shutterstock

The thing about me is that I don’t care that Anthony Weiner is in the news againfor sexting. Sorry, but I fail to see how him taking a photo of his dick near his kid and then separating from his wife is a series of events I’m supposed to care about. It’s not that I don’t care about this story per se. It’s just that so much of politics is just, entertainment, you know? These days I can barely tell the difference between CNN and MTV. Maybe it’s because I’ve always sort of thought I would be happier living in Europe.

Personally, I’m always just way more drawn to stories about international relations or really get my hands dirty with policy than the latest news about politics. Oh, remind me to tell you about this crazy longform piece I read in theLARB—that’s the Los Angeles Review of Books, sorry, I’m such a nerd. I love longform.

I don’t know what it is about me, but I’ve always just been really interested in the world beyond our borders, you know? My parents say I’ve always been this way—just kind of, older than my years. Even in high school, I wanted to know more about the rich history of Kabuki theater, or the Chilean elections than whether Hillary Clinton makes good cookies or not. My favorite books are the classics, you know what I mean? I guess that makes me pretty weird, huh?

I don’t know. I guess I’m just different from the rest of my generation. Sometimes I’ll be at a party and everyone will be talking about the latest thing Donald Trump said, and I’ll think to myself, It’s like these people have no idea about the collapse of Haiti’s handicrafts economy.

It can sometimes feel like a pretty lonely road. But Aaron Sorkin has this quote—I’m a pretty big Sorkin fan—that I try to remember every time I think I’m the only person in this bar who can talk knowledgeably about the stakes for the Everglades, and is, actually ok with that: “Don’t ever forget that a small group of thoughtful people can change the world, it’s the only thing that ever has.”

Haha. You’re looking at me like I’m crazy. I guess people just don’t get it. The way I see things, Anthony Weiner might as well be Kim Kardashian for all he has to do with the difficulty of life for teens growing up in the Parisian banlieu. The day I see a tweet about that I’ll stop complaining, I promise! I just wouldn’t count on it. What was I saying? Oh yeah, the media—which, actually, did you know should really be pluralized, and comes from the Latin medius, meaning in the middle of?—are so desperate for clicks, you know? It’s nothing but clickbait out there. That’s why I pretty much only follow the international news. I’m truly a Der Spiegel addict.

People think I’m crazy for not caring about the outcome of the presidential election, but I can barely see the difference between the two parties anymore. Did you know that in England, the most conservative party is more liberal than the Democrats. That’s what I think is crazy. The Greeks thought called the center of town the agora and it wasn’t just the center of town—it was the center of thought. That’s what the American media should be. The media are so obsessed with what the latest Snapchat filters are that we forget that democracy is for those who show up. That’s another Sorkin quote, I think.

I guess what I’m saying—and I didn’t mean to interrupt you—is that I don’t know why we expect our politicians to behave like anything other than celebrities when that’s how the media treat them. Anyway, yeah, so you were saying you’re a journalist?

Check out our two fury friends. It simply doesn't get better than this. Total quality and a complete delight to my eyes.
DOG-CAT%20-%20great%201_zps4sjvsmmn.jpg

That domestic canine is sooo old fashioned looking. The pussycat looks top notch too.

What do you all think,do you like them? You reckon they are cute?

I think they are completely awesome!

Best thing i have seen today!

Now why did i have to see THIS?

I thought cougars are under protection?

Even if they are, I think that it's generally accepted that you can injure/kill an animal if it is trying to kill you.

Of course, if it's attacking you because you already shot it whilst illegally hunting it, then you might be in trouble.

I wonder how the runner got the cougar in a choke hold if he was attacked from behind. These aren't small light weight animals.

The cougar was described as a "juvenile," but it probably must have weighed 60-80 pounds to take on a man. Cougars (or "mountain lions," as we most commonly call them here) are protected in California but can be taken with a depredation permit. As a result, California is the mountain lion capital of the world, with an estimated 6,000 lions roaming around the state. There were only about 600 when I was a young man and they were regarded as "vermin." In most other states where they are found, they are either unprotected or classified as game animals. Their recovery has been quite a success story, and they are recolonizing many areas in the Midwest and East where they were formerly found.

I'd like to know how the jogger "strangled" it. When the famous naturalist and wildlife photographer Carl Akeley was jumped by a small leopard, he strangled it by driving his fist down its throat while crushing its ribcage with his knees. Maybe the hero of this incident did something similar.

The cougar was described as a "juvenile," but it probably must have weighed 60-80 pounds to take on a man. Cougars (or "mountain lions," as we most commonly call them here) are protected in California but can be taken with a depredation permit. As a result, California is the mountain lion capital of the world, with an estimated 6,000 lions roaming around the state. There were only about 600 when I was a young man and they were regarded as "vermin." In most other states where they are found, they are either unprotected or classified as game animals. Their recovery has been quite a success story, and they are recolonizing many areas in the Midwest and East where they were formerly found.

I'd like to know how the jogger "strangled" it. When the famous naturalist and wildlife photographer Carl Akeley was jumped by a small leopard, he strangled it by driving his fist down its throat while crushing its ribcage with his knees. Maybe the hero of this incident did something similar.

Good point. There have been other instances of the fist down the throats technique. A woman in Nunavut years ago did this to a polar bear. Of course here big mitt also lodged in the bear's throat sealing the deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom