Unbiased Feedback: The DressedWell Reviews Thread

LeFoo1

I've originally allocated funds for 3 ties when my annual budget was exceeded by 150% pre-tie.

Unfortunately Sarto has identified my weakness of having very little self-control. I can't narrow the purchase to under 7 ties despite exercising great restraint. But I now pledge that I won't be adding anything to the order, even if any of my chosen fabrics is out of stock.

I've probably worn ties less than 10 times in the past 2.5 years but this supposedly harmless adventure has reignited my eager to wear ties. Several wedding hosts have already specifically told me not to wear a tie but I'll do my best to wear them more. If that means I have to wear ties at home then so be it :unhappy:

Sauce

I've originally allocated funds for 3 ties when my annual budget was exceeded by 150% pre-tie.

Unfortunately Sarto has identified my weakness of having very little self-control. I can't narrow the purchase to under 7 ties despite exercising great restraint. But I now pledge that I won't be adding anything to the order, even if any of my chosen fabrics is out of stock.

I've probably worn ties less than 10 times in the past 2.5 years but this supposedly harmless adventure has reignited my eager to wear ties. Several wedding hosts have already specifically told me not to wear a tie but I'll do my best to wear them more. If that means I have to wear ties at home then so be it :unhappy:
Ha, its not just me then. I was going to order 3 the first time but Sarto cunningly kept sending more pictures of cloths. Think I ended up with 6 and another two cloths saved. Then he got me with the madders. Thinking about it now, thats 5 of the madders and the two saved on order. Is this your first order with him LeFoo? Did you go with 3 or 7 folds?

LeFoo1

Ha, its not just me then. I was going to order 3 the first time but Sarto cunningly kept sending more pictures of cloths. Think I ended up with 6 and another two cloths saved. Then he got me with the madders. Thinking about it now, thats 5 of the madders and the two saved on order. Is this your first order with him LeFoo? Did you go with 3 or 7 folds?
This is my first time with him. I chose the fabrics but I haven't exactly ordered yet - Sarto is checking the stock. I've told Sarto to go 7 fold, unless any fabric I've chosen benefits from having other constructions, and he seems to think 7 fold is just the best. But with this purchase speed I'll probably have to buy the cloths and fold them myself.

Originally I was just randomly asking if he's still making ties to keep up with the news. He then contacted me saying he does - then I thought to give it a go and get 3 ties for shipping discount just for laughs (camel tie!!!) and to share with you guys. From the old posts I feel like he probably knows what he's talking about, just very crazy. And I want to believe he's a good person deep down that probably could use some support.

Then he just kept sending me pictures of cloths. The photos are good enough to spark interest, but unclear enough that you have to really stare at them to try to guess the textures and colours. I almost suspect this is intentional. Next thing I know I'm spending 3 hours daily looking at his pictures, making excel spreadsheets, and doing research.

Also, he doesn't carry something that's exactly what I wanted. This means I don't have a few things to just pick up and leave. I ended up having this huge pool of things to choose from. I'm already lucky that I am quite adverse to big / distant patterns and bright colours, but narrowing down from 40 ties to 3 is just impossible.

I ended up not choosing the camel tie because it just looks super thick in the pics, and I already have other options in hand. A little unfortunate that I can't find Shantung or cashmere that I like. My strategy now is to grab one from each fabric type so that I can actually feel how they behave in real life. I've taken some risks in my choices, hopefully it ends well.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
I'm waiting for my next order to be sent. I think its another six. A couple are like ones I already have in terms of colour and pattern but its nice to have a choice in that context I think. It'd be better if I was a guy who could be happy with 10 ties and not jizz myself everytime I see a cloth or pattern I like. I just love ties I guess. I'll often drape a few ties over the shoulder of the jacket I'm going to wear and crack one off while deciding on each one to wear. I have this torment of excitment and shame at the same time whenever I open the tie drawer. Its why I never go near ties in a shop. I'm worried I wouldn't be able to control the urge if I saw a beauty on the tie stand.
I have over 200 very nice silk ties. Two years ago i separated them so that the top 10 are the only ones out.

I now haven’t worn a tie at all for over 6 months.

belinmad

I have over 200 very nice silk ties. Two years ago i separated them so that the top 10 are the only ones out.

I started wearing them again in April when I resumed travel. Feels good!
I'll take the 190 off your hands.

LeFoo1

I could use 190 nice ones.

Most of what I own are gifts so most are designer brand stuff. Thrifted a Hermes one in Japan and got some from A&S and Breuer and they're pretty good. Not sure how nice the real ties would be.

Pimpernel Smith

I suspect no future for ties.
Haven't seen anyone in a tie, except for myself, since the start of lockdown.

It's not looking good on the shoe front either, unless you believe white sneakers are actually classed as oxford brogues.

QuandoDio

Haven't seen anyone in a tie, except for myself, since the start of lockdown.

It's not looking good on the shoe front either, unless you believe white sneakers are actually classed as oxford brogues.

It is indeed on the way out. Last time I wore a tie was five weeks ago for a wedding of about 200 guests.

I was one of three people wearing a tie. The groom wasn't even wearing a tie!!

Sauce

When I'm in my local theres two or three guys in ties in. Oddy the same number as those in trousers and not jeans.

Sauce

Just got a copy of Plaza Uomo *no.15. I only got it to satisfy my curiosity and wasn't really expecting a lot, due to being very disappointed with mens fashion magazines in the past.

Its really good. Well written and interesting articles. Couple of fuff pieces, Peter Zottolo's how to dress down the suit is pretty novice (PU give his occupation as Journalist, fair play to him if he's got out of the building game.) Niklas Nystrom's, One Year in Menswear is also quite novice with advice on bespoke choices, though to be fair the title would suggest the article is aimed at someone venturing into bespoke for the first time.

Great articles on; Cad & Dandy, Simon Cathcart, Alexandru Mafteis, Antonio Liverano, a San Fran tailoring outfit called Tailors Keep, Jacques Marie Mage, Crowley Vintage, NYC and interesting fashion shoots. A great "coffee table" magazine.

All in all really enjoyable.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Happy to post pics but I suspect overseas post would be a killer

Shall we take a look?
Hers a few IMG_20200502_153458767.jpg IMG_20200502_153547083.jpg IMG_20200502_153950868.jpg IMG_20200502_153955545.jpg IMG_20200502_154000237.jpg IMG_20200502_154100649.jpg IMG_20200502_154106826.jpg IMG_20200502_154113563.jpg IMG_20200502_154347742_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20200502_154353935.jpg IMG_20200502_154400056_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20200502_154500067.jpg IMG_20200502_154503504.jpg IMG_20200502_154507650.jpg IMG_20200502_155103531.jpg IMG_20200502_155109413.jpg IMG_20200502_155113792.jpg IMG_20200502_155118780.jpg IMG_20200502_155226665.jpg IMG_20200502_155231990.jpg IMG_20200502_155237859_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20200502_155241539.jpg IMG_20200502_155245867.jpg

Top Bottom