What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I gave up on Behind her Eyes - characters were all so unlikable.

Trying Two Sentence Horror next.

Kingstonian

‘Murder among the Mormons’

A true crime series on Netflix about 1980s bombings in Salt Lake City. I like the genre. There are plenty of interesting crime stories out there too.

Sent me to to google. You could make lots of ripping yarns about Mormons. Splits between different factions. Clashes with non Mormons. Wars against the state. Fights against the Indians. Attacks on passing wagon trains.
Yet interview them on TV and they seem quiet, conservative suburban types.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
bloodlands - police thriller about a cold case during the troubles that has resurfaced. pretty good so far.

equinox - i tried to get through it but its just so fucking boring. hearing the mother crying over and over and over again was like nails on a chalkboard.

this new season of american gods really sucks.

Pimpernel Smith

Indian Summers on Acorn. Excellent costume drama set in 1930s India. Only one preachy Woke moment so far when an English character criticises the Indian teacher in the orphan school for having copies of The Secret Garden in and not the more appropriate Mahabharata.

Watched Made You Look: The True Story About Fake Art on Netflix. Brilliant documentary on the Knoedler gallery forgeries.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Indian Summers on Acorn. Excellent costume drama set in 1930s India. Only one preachy Woke moment so far when an English character criticises the Indian teacher in the orphan school for having copies of The Secret Garden in and not the more appropriate Mahabharata.

Watched Made You Look: The True Story About Fake Art on Netflix. Brilliant documentary on the Knoedler gallery forgeries.

Wasn't that on Channel 4 in 2015?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Oh okay - same series. It reinforces the fact that the colonies were a wild wild west for a pauper and peasant to remake themselves into a higher class without having 9 generations of Talbot or some other Anglo name going back to William the conqueror.

Also a bit sad about the Parsi people who fled Islam's takeover of Persia and were favoured by the British (or as a former work mate of mine says the Britishers) - reckon they're below 100k total population in India now.

Pimpernel Smith

Oh okay - same series. It reinforces the fact that the colonies were a wild wild west for a pauper and peasant to remake themselves into a higher class without having 9 generations of Talbot or some other Anglo name going back to William the conqueror.

Also a bit sad about the Parsi people who fled Islam's takeover of Persia and were favoured by the British (or as a former work mate of mine says the Britishers) - reckon they're below 100k total population in India now.
Bohemian Rhapsody is all about the plight and then flight of the Parsi.

Journeyman

Supporter
John Irving's interesting and enjoyable novel, "A Son of the Circus" is set in and around Mumbai and has a main character who is a Parsi.

It gives some detail on Parsi cultural practices, including the Tower of Silence on the outskirts of Mumbai, where the dead are left for vultures to devour.

The latter practice is not without some issues nowadays - in recent years, the vulture population has declined significantly, apparently due to the presence of high levels of drugs in animal carcasses, which then poisons vultures. As a consequence, there aren't enough vultures around to effectively devour human remains. This has resulted in complaints about the smell and also complaints about bloated vultures dropping human fragments in the area around the Tower of Silence.

Fwiffo

Supporter
We have to do it like Zoroaster intended for us to do it.

Luckily their insular need to marry amongst one another and the wealth from being favoured during the dying days of the Raj meant they're having fewer and fewer children - if any. Like western society without the immigration.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
One on Netflix turned out to be a good little drama miniseries (I’m about 20 minutes from the end and I’m assuming there won’t be a second season).

Edit: they totally left the door open for a second season.

Last edited:

Fwiffo

Supporter

Marxist Leninist way of life. Plodding and slow but I am finishing the first series.

Top Bottom