What's Making You Happy Today?

Fwiffo

Supporter
It took over a year, a lot of work and some big four consultancy gnawing at my cash but I finally got to a point where I have right the ship of this account.

No thanks to the account manager who didn't tell me they made commitments almost 3 years ago.

formby002

1610324433750.png

Pimpernel Smith

Chuckles...

My brother had a profitable side line on ebay and he had loads of issues with buyers, including people saying the goods were fake and they needed to refund or their husband cop would arrest them, etc, etc.

Vintage mechanical watch dealing is apparently a nightmare too with buyers expecting current model +/- second performance on vintage models. Loads of trolls pretending they're interested over several emails only to tell you they wouldn't pay such an extravagant price.

Journeyman

Supporter
After my mother died, I sold some of her vintage furniture online.

She had a lovely, French-polished dining table that seated eight and could fold out further to seat ten, plus matching chairs. It was in beautiful condition and she'd had the chairs reupholstered quite recently.

I was astonished by the number of weirdos who responded to the ad - most of them just made ridiculous offers, but two really stood out to me.

One guy asked if he could pay half as much and only take the chairs. He didn't need a table, he said, just the chairs.

Another guy asked if I was willing to trade the table and chairs in return for an unregistered, 1990s Ford Festiva. What the...? On what planet would I want an unregistered, crappy, nearly 20-year-old car in return for a dining table and chairs?!

Pimpernel Smith

After my mother died, I sold some of her vintage furniture online.

She had a lovely, French-polished dining table that seated eight and could fold out further to seat ten, plus matching chairs. It was in beautiful condition and she'd had the chairs reupholstered quite recently.

I was astonished by the number of weirdos who responded to the ad - most of them just made ridiculous offers, but two really stood out to me.

One guy asked if he could pay half as much and only take the chairs. He didn't need a table, he said, just the chairs.

Another guy asked if I was willing to trade the table and chairs in return for an unregistered, 1990s Ford Festiva. What the...? On what planet would I want an unregistered, crappy, nearly 20-year-old car in return for a dining table and chairs?!

It's weird out there man.

Slightly off-topic, but not so much: my accountant told me about one of his antique shop clients in a select art-deco vintage street in The Hague. Since the last financial crisis the market has dropped out of all of that and combined with the fact that a new demographic isn't coming in to replace the ageing buyers it's game over.

Anyway, someone comes into the shop with a painting they've inherited from their parents who happened to have paid Euro 48,000 for it. They'd already tried some galleries, there were told it was worth nothing like the Euro 48,000. The owner tried some online auctions but didn't meet the asking price. It eventually sold for Euro 800.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
which one of you dopes offered up baked alaska as a prominent intellectual?

Pimpernel Smith

She doesn't have kids so I would say no.

She looks like the type who will be all of 4'9''. Her accent doesn't do it for me either.

Good job, as I'm bald 50 year old, 6'1'' and running out of time to be rejected and disappointed on the ladies front. It's now or never...and as I am already married, it seems never.

Top Bottom