Why Are You Pissed Off Today?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
What a disaster of a day: eldest got a puncture on the first day they've ridden on the bike to secondary school. Get the phone call from the wife, as if it was my fault and can I go out and rescue them. Later, in the afternoon, I get some garbled message about someone's messed with the food at school and someone's in hospital and my eldest is ill at school and can I get to the doctors quick, because the missus is on the way to a job interview. So I get to the school, which is around the corner from my office and turns out someone fell on the eldest foot in the drama class. That was it and they were fully walking. But this did impact the first day of the extra lessons that's costing me nearly enough Euros 500 a month for.

I notice when things get barmy and weird it's generally a trend. So I ask myself what next?
Your wife could have stayed at her job.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
One of my vendors just came to me saying we're renewing the contract with head office in Europe but locally we need someone to review some legal document. I find the person on the document and she's a no show on Friday. Then she shows up on Monday and tells me she's leaving tomorrow so go find someone else in legal.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Ratings
One of my vendors just came to me saying we're renewing the contract with head office in Europe but locally we need someone to review some legal document. I find the person on the document and she's a no show on Friday. Then she shows up on Monday and tells me she's leaving tomorrow so go find someone else in legal.
That is frustrating. How is the level of bureaucracy in your new shop? How does it compare to the former place? Are you liking it? And KW, how are you coping?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
That is frustrating. How is the level of bureaucracy in your new shop? How does it compare to the former place? Are you liking it? And KW, how are you coping?
I went from a 40,000 person firm to a 140,000 person firm so I would say it's higher. However, the subsidiary I work in was the result of two smaller Canadian companies merging and then being bought out by the German firm. They have issues coping with the whole global structure and chafe at not having autonomy so I have a local culture to deal with and of course the overall culture. My line of business in the broader organization is also more immature and a bit of the cowboy setup. It's like my former company a year or two before I showed up. There is no co-operation between the executives in other countries, no synergies, no talk of shared resources or initiatives.

I work 11-12 hours a day Mon-Thu. I've been managing to get out of here at 1445 on Fridays for the past two weeks. Most times I get home by 1700. If I leave Kitchener at 1630 I'm looking at 1930 to go home due to the traffic. Sometimes I forego that and take the 2140 train and spend an evening with my one and only mate in Waterloo for dinner. It was annoying the first two weeks because I wasn't in my travel rhythm (a la George Clooney in Up in the Air) but now I'm getting better at it. Every other weekend there's an issue or my boss asks me to do something. He rings my work mobile whenever and expects a response. I have mine on silent so I periodically check and ring him back.

The city is boring. I'm actually on the outskirts. There are plenty of massage parlours. At least I'm able to spot them from a block away. I have a home bar where everyone knows me but all the women got knocked up pretty young. I signed up to Meetup and barely anyone goes out during the week except for hikes. I only have suits and I don't fancy walking to nowhere. Most events are on Fridays or the weekend. The local symphony orchestra is a joke. I thought Toronto was bad.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
The city is boring. I'm actually on the outskirts. There are plenty of massage parlours. At least I'm able to spot them from a block away. I have a home bar where everyone knows me but all the women got knocked up pretty young. I signed up to Meetup and barely anyone goes out during the week except for hikes. I only have suits and I don't fancy walking to nowhere. Most events are on Fridays or the weekend. The local symphony orchestra is a joke. I thought Toronto was bad.
Better than getting knocked up later, at least they've a chance to get their figure back, unlike Kate Bush. But you don't want to get involved in raising other people's kids. Later, okay.

The Ernesto

Ratings
So a slow witted colleague turned up to a meeting today with her lunch because 'I've locked in back to backs today, hope you don't mind'.

Had to endure her sitting next to me chomping on a rancid salad.

Thankfully it was an excellent meeting that finished 10 minutes early because nobody was talking for the sake of it.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
I once had a (high profile) boss who'd walk quietly up behind you and read your screen over your shoulder - then frighten the hell out of you when he spoke. I had been warned and after the first 2 times I turned the desk around. He'd also sit next to your desk and absent-mindedly pick at your salad!

What's this thing about having to have a water bottle in your hand all the time - even at interviews. Lost German tourists in shorts and Birkenstocks can survive a few days in the desert near Tennant Creek in summer without water why can't people in offices go 10 minutes?

QuandoDio

Ratings
I once had a (high profile) boss who'd walk quietly up behind you and read your screen over your shoulder - then frighten the hell out of you when he spoke. I had been warned and after the first 2 times I turned the desk around. He'd also sit next to your desk and absent-mindedly pick at your salad!

What's this thing about having to have a water bottle in your hand all the time - even at interviews. Lost German tourists in shorts and Birkenstocks can survive a few days in the desert near Tennant Creek in summer without water why can't people in offices go 10 minutes?
Got to be get that hydration.

I chug a gallon of water daily. No ifs/ buts. Just because one might survive some degree of dehydration doesn't mean one should.

The water bottle thing (particularly plastic disposable one) is an irritation though.

Last edited:

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
I make a point of drinking three .5l waters a day. At my desk. People wandering around clutching a water bottle like an infant irritate me as well. Do you wander around the office or into a meeting with half a sandwich?

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Ratings
So a slow witted colleague turned up to a meeting today with her lunch because 'I've locked in back to backs today, hope you don't mind'.

Had to endure her sitting next to me chomping on a rancid salad.

Thankfully it was an excellent meeting that finished 10 minutes early because nobody was talking for the sake of it.
People who seek out leftovers from office buffets.

People who offer leftovers from office buffets to those outside the meeting.

People - usually Brits - who obsess about the biscuits at meetings.

Tea and coffee provided at meetings. You will always get better elsewhere. Why bother? Stick to water.

The Ernesto

Ratings
People who seek out leftovers from office buffets.

People who offer leftovers from office buffets to those outside the meeting.

People - usually Brits - who obsess about the biscuits at meetings.

Tea and coffee provided at meetings. You will always get better elsewhere. Why bother? Stick to water.
Dear God. The range of horrors.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
My definition of clean must be much different than what the general populace considers clean. And my sibling and mother occasionally complain I'm not very tidy.

walker

Ratings
so if he later revealed that his wife is rich, what do you think is the more likely scenario - that he funded a new york wedding via a watch sale or that her parents paid for everything?
Rambo Rambo doghouse doghouse

of course, not only likely, her family realized almost everything from tackynacci(rubinacci), hermes wallet(s), obscure interior design and a porsche with ppc features, which cost a premium e.g. 1.7k for changing the colour of the strip on the steering wheel from red to yellow. o-tone foo: red strip in a monza blue gt 3 is tragic, fwiw, car belongs to a member of the POC Dubai, go figure.

this is the current status ...,

... but I've been talking about 10 or 15 years when foo appeared on the scene of i-gent foras.

the time, when he was meandering between heavily brown nosing bantoni(manton) and pretending to be the smart guy from a middle-class background, who discovers the finer things in life.

... and then this happened on AAAC and not styfo, though.

a guy said. I have a budget of 1 k for my wedding incl. everything from clothes to ceremony, wedding bands and party. foo replied enthusiastically: oh, I know exactly, what you're talking about. I'm in the same boat selling my first real watch ..., the rest is history

ich habe fertig, statement by Giovanni Trappatoni

Kingstonian

Ratings
What more can I say?

UK meetings often have tea coffee and biscuits provided. I don’t understand the interest in biscuits. It may be an indication of a particularly pointless meeting, a particularly useless individual or maybe it is a British thing. Bill Bryson goes on about biscuits:-
“And the British are so easy to please. They actually like their pleasures small. That is why, I suppose, so many of their treats — teacakes, scones, crumpets, rock cakes, rich tea biscuits, fruit Shrewsburys — are so cautiously flavourful.

They are the only people in the world who think of jam and currants as thrilling constituents of a pudding or cake. ”

The leftover crowd may just be tight fisted or not overly concerned about food hygiene.

R

Rushmore

Flavourful?

To me, all British biscuits taste like shortbread, best to be enjoyed with a hot drink. Java cakes....different story, same goes for the half-covered Chocolate digestives.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
What more can I say?

UK meetings often have tea coffee and biscuits provided. I don’t understand the interest in biscuits. It may be an indication of a particularly pointless meeting, a particularly useless individual or maybe it is a British thing. Bill Bryson goes on about biscuits:-
“And the British are so easy to please. They actually like their pleasures small. That is why, I suppose, so many of their treats — teacakes, scones, crumpets, rock cakes, rich tea biscuits, fruit Shrewsburys — are so cautiously flavourful.

They are the only people in the world who think of jam and currants as thrilling constituents of a pudding or cake. ”

The leftover crowd may just be tight fisted or not overly concerned about food hygiene.
English high tea is something that foreigners quite like. There's several places here that advertise English High Tea's. It has to be said that a lot of these cakes and biscuits taste great with tea. So too smoked kippers.

I often forget when I am in the UK that in many offices coffee means some dreadful powdered Nescafé.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Foreigners may like the idea of a fancy setting with best China and crusts cut off the cucumber sandwiches. That is very different to tea in meetings. Hotels love high tea because it is probably a high mark up.

Biscuits at meetings are dispensed with from time to time in budget cut backs but usually return for some reason.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Youre not a machine fwiffers.
Apparently I'm ESFJ in Myers-Briggs.

https://www.16personalities.com/esfj-personality

"Unfortunately, less mature ESFJs may lack the inner strength and wisdom to attract this in healthy ways. They can be very needy, compromising their own principles and values in exchange for their partners’ approval. This is a terrible trap – not only is it unattractive, it can too easily lead to emotionally abusive relationships, which reduce ESFJs’ self-esteem further. Another snare is their fixation on social status and approval – it’s not uncommon for ESFJs’ social circles and relatives to play a bigger part in their choice of dating partners than even their own values."

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Haha no one under 30 here even knows what a cheque is. Hardly anyone uses them. Last time I wrote one was about 10 years ago for some weird professional organisation of Ms.fxh who didn’t have online CC or direct to bank.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Haha no one under 30 here even knows what a cheque is. Hardly anyone uses them. Last time I wrote one was about 10 years ago for some weird professional organisation of Ms.fxh who didn’t have online CC or direct to bank.
I wrote 18 for my lease. It is still a thing in Canada. Dwindling but still in use. Just like in Canada a significant portion of personal insurance and nearly all commercial insurance is bought through a broker.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
It's only appropriate my home airport is the worst at getting gates cleared and the bridge attached to the cabin door. Other countries and cities seem much faster and organized.

Top Bottom