Ask A Quick Question

I couldn’t really find the belt I had in mind, so ended up dying a brown belt I’ve had for a while black. It came out really well. I’ll switch out the buckle to a center bar if I find what I’m looking for.

What do you use to dye belts?

what you should use is a proper analine leather dye. I’ve dyed a few pairs of shoes and boots in the past the looked like they came that way from the tannery for many years (brown/tan -> darker brown or black).

In this case, I was lazy and used black liquid fabric dye since it’s available at the supermarket. It worked, but required three coats and I had to scrub off the salt residue after each soaking.

I was organising my closet, and started thinking if the jacket from my navy herringbone suit could second as a sport coat. The surface finish is matte, and the fabric has substantial weight.

Would this work?
ABFB9E30-D93E-4927-B0E6-B258BD37759A.jpeg

3E32D6EE-25C5-4DC6-9D83-E2C420704980.jpeg

I was organising my closet, and started thinking if the jacket from my navy herringbone suit could second as a sport coat. The surface finish is matte, and the fabric has substantial weight.

Would this work?
View attachment 40657
View attachment 40658
It could. You have a matte finish. Chunkier fabric. Pick stitching. Contrast button hole stitching (ewww). which are all less suit like than a typical city suit jacket. What colour are the buttons? You could swap them out for brown horn is they are black/blue.

It could. You have a matte finish. Chunkier fabric. Pick stitching. Contrast button hole stitching (ewww). which are all less suit like than a typical city suit jacket. What colour are the buttons? You could swap them out for brown horn is they are black/blue.
Thanks for the feedback. The buttonhole stitching isn’t actually contrasting, but the crappy lighting does make it look that way. The buttons are black horn at the moment.

I have other, more city-appropriate navy suits, so I was thinking of ways to make this one more versatile. Would making packing for business trips a bit simpler if I could wear it in business casual situations as either part of a suit, or as a sport coat/navy blazer.

Would this work?
View attachment 40657
View attachment 40658

I would try. Some cord trousers should match pleasantly. Maybe also some medium weight cavalry twill.

Anyway try, and you'll see yourself if it works.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The buttonhole stitching isn’t actually contrasting, but the crappy lighting does make it look that way. The buttons are black horn at the moment.

I have other, more city-appropriate navy suits, so I was thinking of ways to make this one more versatile. Would making packing for business trips a bit simpler if I could wear it in business casual situations as either part of a suit, or as a sport coat/navy blazer.
Might work ok as a suit with polo necked jumper (or whatever others call them). It looks sturdy and conservative - just wear it for what it is.

Backyard summer wedding: jacket? Tie?

My brother in law is getting married in his parent’s backyard next weekend. It’s small and casual (last minute rush so dying father can be there), but there will be a photographer.

I’m more than happy to dress to not be noticed, but I also don’t want to stand out for being over or under dressed.

My brother in law is getting married in his parent’s backyard next weekend. It’s small and casual (last minute rush so dying father can be there), but there will be a photographer.

I’m more than happy to dress to not be noticed, but I also don’t want to stand out for being over or under dressed.

Jacket. Take a tie just in case.

Maybe something like this? Classic, relaxed, unobtrusive elegance.

Screenshot (659).png
Screenshot (660).png
Screenshot (661).png

I seem to recall you have a linen suit. Knit tie.

Please wear socks. Please.

And don't look at doggies pics and undo 6 buttons on your shirt.

If you wear a tie, it's rather improbable you'll undo the buttons of your shirt. But I totally agree.

I think that looks quite ok, and no socks is ok. But for the love of God please tell me you didn't wear sandals.

Yeh, I’m not buying anything new for this, with less than a week’s notice. I was thinking linen suit and knit tie or open neck. I could also wear the linen jacket with some separate cotton trousers to dress it down some more.

Maybe as it gets closer I’ll get my wife to find out what they mean by casual. He’s a bit of an odd duck so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are in jeans, but I’d think if you are hiring a photographer then you’d want to dress up a little.

Yeh, I’m not buying anything new for this, with less than a week’s notice. I was thinking linen suit and knit tie or open neck. I could also wear the linen jacket with some separate cotton trousers to dress it down some more.

Maybe as it gets closer I’ll get my wife to find out what they mean by casual. He’s a bit of an odd duck so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are in jeans, but I’d think if you are hiring a photographer then you’d want to dress up a little.
T-shirt with the suit?

A camp collar shirt with the suit? Hawaian shirt stylee even? Funky, fun and dressed down. With loafers or sneakers.

What's the Groom wearing?
I have no idea. I didn’t want to seem self-absorbed bothering them while they are rushing to get all this done, but I think I’ll shoot him an email and phrase it something to the effect of ‘what should I wear to not mess up your wedding photos?’

side note: two grooms. They are rushing to get this done before my FiL passes, which is a little confusing as he’s pretty conservative Southern Baptist type.

Look You are Australian

Stand up for yourself - pair of buggered up Blundstones, short socks, cargo shorts, and a Cold Chisel or AC/DC T-Shirt
1630324373022.png

Last edited:
I have no idea. I didn’t want to seem self-absorbed bothering them while they are rushing to get all this done, but I think I’ll shoot him an email and phrase it something to the effect of ‘what should I wear to not mess up your wedding photos?’

side note: two grooms. They are rushing to get this done before my FiL passes, which is a little confusing as he’s pretty conservative Southern Baptist type.
Well, you should ask them and then take your cue from them. It's their day, not yours and you need to be careful that you don't steal the 'limelight' as it were.

Slim knit tie, bareable. Wider tie, not so much. But I'm not a lover of tie bars or pins, those stupid lapel pins or shirt collars with pins through them. Seems a bit unsightly to me. I always like a tie to be a bit slap dash, rakeish devil may kinda attitude. Feel the Flap!

Slim knit tie, bareable. Wider tie, not so much. But I'm not a lover of tie bars or pins, those stupid lapel pins or shirt collars with pins through them. Seems a bit unsightly to me. I always like a tie to be a bit slap dash, rakeish devil may kinda attitude. Feel the Flap!

Yeh, slim knit tie. Yeh, it just seems a bit fussy when worn with a pocket square. I’ll have the jacket buttoned while we are outside, so that should help keep the bugger down.

I think their bareable with a knit because they go across the whole tie, with a wider tie they look a bit feeble to me. I guess if your working over a desk then needs must. Sure it'll be a great day with or without it. Thats the numbero uno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom