Car Talk

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
They're mega popular over here, if you work for local government in any kind of management position you tend to get a Tesla as part of your package. Then you can virtue signal and slag of the oil industry and nasty petrol heads as far as the limited range will take you.
Not to mention their torque/acceleration is fcukng amazing

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Not to mention their torque/acceleration is fcukng amazing
The problem as I see the whole electric car phenomena: initial cost, range and the fact, at least here in The Netherlands, if you're charging at home the cost is more expensive than petrol. And I have no doubt if everyone was in electric cars it would be even higher. Hybrid remains the way to go, at this stage, and certainly electric isn't viable in emerging markets for a time yet.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
The time has come to get a new car....and being a sensible, modest sort of chap it is the Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI 70kW 7DSG Comfortline with the Active Info Display and automatic gears. Boring, moi?! It was either that or the Toyota Auris. There's a five month waiting list for new Polo's in the Netherlands at present, but I managed to bag myself one of the few ready models with a decent specification, although the white silver metallic wouldn't have been my first choice colour wise.

My missus won't get rid of her Prius although she wants the Toyota C-HR, she's well passed the optimum moment to sell. So hopefully I can get her to pull the trigger before it becomes the proverbial old banger.

I suppose at my time of life I should have a better car, but I can't really get excited about higher specification cars. Been there done that and got ripped off paying to keep the buggers on the road whilst finding myself stuck in the same traffic jams along with the plebs.

FriendCustomer

Awful Tie Aficionado
Ratings
The time has come to get a new car....and being a sensible, modest sort of chap it is the Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI 70kW 7DSG Comfortline with the Active Info Display and automatic gears. Boring, moi?! It was either that or the Toyota Auris. There's a five month waiting list for new Polo's in the Netherlands at present, but I managed to bag myself one of the few ready models with a decent specification, although the white silver metallic wouldn't have been my first choice colour wise.

My missus won't get rid of her Prius although she wants the Toyota C-HR, she's well passed the optimum moment to sell. So hopefully I can get her to pull the trigger before it becomes the proverbial old banger.

I suppose at my time of life I should have a better car, but I can't really get excited about higher specification cars. Been there done that and got ripped off paying to keep the buggers on the road whilst finding myself stuck in the same traffic jams along with the plebs.
Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI 70kW 7DSG Comfortline as much as you may want it, falls into the mid-range, but high quality. A canny buy. And I know diplomats who drive Volkswagen Polo 1.0 before other ranges. It says you cannot be bought.

So away with your pretence and BS.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
doghouse doghouse whats your take on nano or ceramic coatings? I was talking to some mobile car wash guys and they were touting this, seeing how ive only managed to wash the car once in almost a year.

The idea of protection for a year appeals to me in a very obvious way

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
doghouse doghouse whats your take on nano or ceramic coatings? I was talking to some mobile car wash guys and they were touting this, seeing how ive only managed to wash the car once in almost a year.

The idea of protection for a year appeals to me in a very obvious way
I've done two boats with it, it is very good stuff. I would check the references of the guys you use though, they could wreck your fucking paint if they dont know what they are doing.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
Why havent you done one of the cars?
You can still get a little better depth in the finish with wax/sealant. But it's a small difference that most probably wouldn't even notice, and an awesome option for people who dont want to put so much effort in. Mercedes offers it on new cars, so its obviously pretty decent.

The main thing to watch for is your car's paint needs to be prepped by opening the pores up, and you really don't want some monkey trashing your paint.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I picked-up the new Polo TSI today and there's some super wax deal on the paint guaranteed for 3 years:

IMG_1243.JPG

I know a lot of the forum members find such cars distasteful and not fitting in with the bespoke select circles they move in. But you need to remember in places like The Netherlands we're paying double the price of cars that say Americans pay for equivalents including VW's. Then there's the running costs that for certain performance cars when including all the get-you-off-the-road taxes will push the cost of the car up to 2 grand a month to maintain and keep on the road. That's 4 grand before taxes.

Hence when people come over here from the UK and USA to visit they don't quite get it why we're all running around in modest cars.

In saying that the 2018 VW Polo is state of the art for a supermini and the Active Info Display version is a winner. This latest generation of the Polo is a big step-up in terms of design and feel. It has real character and so no wonder there's a several month waiting list here.

I've a nice little mission in northern France to run it for the next day or two.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
What I'm hearing is a lot of bullshit excuses why you don't have an appropriately stylish and/or aristocratic car.
There's a bit of method in this, my missus has held onto the Prius way longer than she should against my advice. And so she needed some encouragement to get rid. She's now jealous as hell, although the option is there with the automatic drive that she takes over and has the Polo. Then I'm stuck with the ageing Prius. But if it comes to aristocratic cars you need to go second hand every time. Great deals out there for luxury cars several years old that will give you all the refinement and class you need.

güero

Ratings
But if it comes to aristocratic cars you need to go second hand every time. Great deals out there for luxury cars several years old that will give you all the refinement and class you need.
New Polo is like 15k, more or less? As you say, you can get a nice second-hand car for that. Last time I checked (many many years ago), e.g. a nice Maserati Spyder was well below 15k. There is really no excuse for driving a Polo once you are past college. Even if your company isn't paying for it, even if you're not really into cars, etc. No excuse.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
New Polo is like 15k, more or less? As you say, you can get a nice second-hand car for that. Last time I checked (many many years ago), e.g. a nice Maserati Spyder was well below 15k. There is really no excuse for driving a Polo once you are past college. Even if your company isn't paying for it, even if you're not really into cars, etc. No excuse.
My automatic version is 25K in NL. Back in my day, unless you were getting subsidized by the bank of mum and dad you couldn't afford a car as a student unless it was a dog turd coloured 1970s Allegro for a couple of hundred quid. No excuses: if I need a fancy car, I just call in the driver. And that's what I do. You don't keep a dog to bark yourself.

Top Bottom