Cotton v's wool v's linen in summer

You may want to recheck your calculations.
I mean, not wearing a hat at all would be the best choice. Hats are like a self-imposed handicap to one's sex appeal. But when you are forced to choose between a trainwreck and a car crash, I choose the latter.

I mean, not wearing a hat at all would be the best choice. Hats are like a self-imposed handicap to one's sex appeal. But when you are forced to choose between a trainwreck and a car crash, I choose the latter.
Well when I get skin cancer and loose an ear or something worse, I will know who to blame. Actually, screw that I will continue to look suave in my PANAMA...

Whilst very much associated with working class style, it is essentially, classless. You can do a quick search and pull up many royals in flat caps.

Indeed, you can't sport a Panama all four seasons can you?

James Spader is an example of someone who most definitely looked better with a full head of hair.

My brother has had a hair transplant and it looks very good. And at GBP 23,000 you would expect that. But he also needs another one, so that's nearly 50 grand total. I admire his getting this expenditure past his wife. Even after it all, he was dying his hair as he was turning grey.

I'm intrigued that your girlfriend is keen for you to get a hair transplant, my experience of ex-girlfriends and my wife is that they have some limits on expenditure on certain things that will really piss them off.
I sport a straw hat when the sun is shining, that could be from February or as late as May until September. There maybe days when I am hatless. Other times of the year it is a Black wool flat cap or if really cold, a Cashmere beanie.

It's not like James Spader has a choice...

I think the other half would enjoy herself in Istanbul, she would probably try and get away with liposuction, veneers or something lol.

I have a few Panama's, but I also have Stetson's in Toyo and Raffia.

Last edited:
Well when I get skin cancer and loose an ear or something worse, I will know who to blame. Actually, screw that I will continue to look suave in my PANAMA...
More power to you! In your case it absolutely makes sense to wear a hat in the summer heat.

As long as itā€™s not a cosplay version of a flat cap. In that case, Iā€™m going to personally come over with gas and matches to save you from public humiliation.

This is great. I feel like we're making real "headway" here. Can I suggest one of these under your Panama, Panama.

fire-resistant-hood-slit-eye-opening-sfi-3-3-3.jpg

I got a couple of pure wool tshirts a while ago and yesterday was the first change Iā€™ve had to wear one. I think I read someone somewhere reviewing wool tshirts online and was curious- thinking it would be something I might wear under a sweater or jacket in winter.

I can now see why some people would want to wear these in the heat. The open weave does make them wear cool, even if the overall weight is a little more than my heaviest cotton tshirt. I feels wonderfully soft, even if a little scratchy (yeh, I canā€™t explain that any better yet). The fit and drape is what I really like - really takes it to a new level.

I expect the color to hold and hopefully it will soften a bit without losing shape with some washing.

For about $40, these really are worthwhile. Wool is a good cotton alternative in summer. I usually like my tshirts to have a pocket or Henley buttons so they donā€™t like like underwear, but in wool I donā€™t see much danger of that.

1631448540198.jpeg

I've worn Patagonia merino shirts for outdoor activities for years now. Very cool wearing.

I got a couple of pure wool tshirts a while ago and yesterday was the first change Iā€™ve had to wear one. I think I read someone somewhere reviewing wool tshirts online and was curious- thinking it would be something I might wear under a sweater or jacket in winter.

I can now see why some people would want to wear these in the heat. The open weave does make them wear cool, even if the overall weight is a little more than my heaviest cotton tshirt. I feels wonderfully soft, even if a little scratchy (yeh, I canā€™t explain that any better yet). The fit and drape is what I really like - really takes it to a new level.

I expect the color to hold and hopefully it will soften a bit without losing shape with some washing.

For about $40, these really are worthwhile. Wool is a good cotton alternative in summer. I usually like my tshirts to have a pocket or Henley buttons so they donā€™t like like underwear, but in wool I donā€™t see much danger of that.

View attachment 41222
Appreciate you paying your cat taxes

what brand did you buy?

View attachment 41222
There's as good underwear and other wool clothing industry in NZ.

Search for Mountain Bike, Dirt Bike clothes/gear NZ

One of the most famous merino brands is icebreaker from New Zealand, but very technical stuff. Not for daily use.

Also a bit pricey.

Has anyone else got anything in Zanone Ice cotton? I've a shirt in it and its great for hot days.

How do you guys rate Fox Brothersā€™ fresco for quality, feel, coolness? Iā€™m really not interested in tailored clothing these days, but I have a line on a suit in this fabric for a good price.

Iā€™ve got some store credit sitting unused, so thought about joining the Franco Elitists with a Chinese linen Teba:

But Iā€™ve learned my lesson not buying into ā€˜summer jacketsā€™ which I never wear.

Iā€™ve got some store credit sitting unused, so thought about joining the Franco Elitists with a Chinese linen Teba:

But Iā€™ve learned my lesson not buying into ā€˜summer jacketsā€™ which I never wear.
I feel ya. I have many a summer jacket unused a lot of the time. When it is true summer, best jacket is no summer.

I feel ya. I have many a summer jacket unused a lot of the time. When it is true summer, best jacket is no summer.
I think you meant to write ā€œbest jacket is no jacketā€ - which is true, especially if the jacket in question is a fucking teba. How did these things become popular? Fucking hideous, shapeless shit.

I like an ā€œover shirtā€ over a U half sleeve T. Only thing wrong is most overshirts donā€™t have the right pockets. jackets for me need phone pocket, preferably on left inside and slanted,

I am going to start to get more into linen socks and shirts. Wore my linen socks the other day and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

What about heavier linen for summer such as a 17 oz trouser. Would this be cool if it is in a breezy weave? I think it would be good because it would absorb perspiration on hot days, would be better than the 12 oz linen, wouldn't it?

I find linen to be pretty bad at absorbing moisture - itā€™s just not as porous as cotton. The benefit is that it is light and airy, allowing airflow through the fabric to cool the skin. A heavy linen might defeat this, while looking like a big, wrinkled mess. But if you do order heavy linen trousers, Iā€™ll be curious to see them and hear feedback.

I enjoy wearing a linen shirt and mid weight linen/cotten mix'ed trousers in the summer. A linen/cotton shirt, not so much.
Imagine I'd like wearing mid/high weight linen trousers and jackets too.

Having worn Dugdale cotton trousers over numerous summers, l decided to give W Bill cottons a go for my most recent pair of trousers. When l received them I was really disappointed with the W Bill fabric upon touch with my hands, but when l wore them for the first time, wow, the cotton is like a dream, comfy, hefty and cool wearing at the same time, and looks better; outperforms the dugdale easily. Definitely keen to try the W Bill linens next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom