Disagreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

Should we really be doxing people?

Not really, but this is only like finding out where a celebrity lives. He operates under his real name and brand.

It's not like he's acting under an pseudonym or avatar. He's not political and whilst we might not dig him and I would only have put a photo of his house and not his address., he shouldn't illicit any response involving people paying him a visit.

But I agree, it's a probably a good move that the moderators remove his address from the post and the responses, including my own.

He lives in London and not some country manor and unless he lives on Billionaire's row or equivalent, his house will not be big enough for even more excesses. In that other site, I recall seeing the poster, Vox sartorial's wardrobe. It was impressive. Then again he lives in Massachusetts and is top elite like doghouse doghouse and Thruth Thruth .

In comparison, SC is small potatoes.

Sorry. Not elite. I am just an educated Gypsy/Traveller. I will pick your pockets if given the chance.

He lists it in his contact information as his post address

That's fair enough then. He's made his abode public knowledge. Why? Who the hell knows. But that seems to be the Metropolitan glide, live in a 19th century manual labourer's or foreman navvy's home for between 1.9 - 2.6 million. They seem to dig it down there.

Jesus, he lives out in the sticks.

So I'm wondering if his crib being worth a million quid is typical for being out in the sticks?

• Victorian family home
  • 3 double bedrooms; additional study
  • Fantastic double reception room
  • Eat in kitchen
  • Family bathroom
  • Private rear garden
  • Potential for further development STPP
  • Sought-after location
  • Close to transport links

Crompton's place is rather more modest than I was expecting. I can imagine him emerging from his door in his Huntsman shooting suit and getting abuse.

So I'm wondering if his crib being worth a million quid is typical for being out in the sticks?

• Victorian family home
  • Eat in kitchen
  • Family bathroom
  • Private rear garden
  • Sought-after location
No garage?
Lucky for him he cycles to ‘his’ office.
I clicked the link above, all it has is a publicity photo of him. Brown jacket, cream trou. Really pushing the boat out eh?

A compilation of all the 55 bespoke tailors Crompton's used. Hardly a glowing advertisment for the European tailoring industry. He's made it clear in the past that he favours soft tailoring and lower rise trousers even though his physique would favour a more strutured cut but despite him being the forum's whipping boy I refuse to put all the blame on him. While some are absolutely fine while others are inexcusably bad. Interestingly he's mentioned that all his A&S suits were cut by Hitchcock Sr. who retired 6 years ago.

Crompton's place is rather more modest than I was expecting. I can imagine him emerging from his door in his Huntsman shooting suit and getting abuse.

it doesn’t surprise me. He’s a clotheshorse turned iGent blogger. Many of these iGent bloggers have modest lives but spend disproportionately on their clothing. Nothing wrong with it but it’s a bit disingenuous when they want to project this baller, country squire image when their lifestyle clearly isn’t that...

He also doesnt seem like a person whose lifestyle informs his sartorial preferences. If that makes any sense.

This is why I feel his style (or lack thereof) is inert. Sure he puts together meh outfits but none of it is seems informed by his life or preferences, even stuff like musical tastes, movies. It’s always yet another cardigan or jumper he’s fixated on, massive winged overcoats, or watch caps while drinking espresso or something.

In contrast, early in his blogging days he’d write/review about bicycling stuff and his posts felt more genuine.

This is a really good post. Smart observation. The roots of his bland approach and results are in his vacuous lifestyle. It’s the loose sartorial equivalent of the parvenu businessman who ‘makes it’ and charges out for the rolex and BMW as badges of status with little to no thought behind it.

48 Worlingham Road
London SE22 9HD
UK
He might not want his fans turning up, unannounced, on a whim.

London house prices are ridiculous. In former times they were kept in check by lenders only offering three times salary, but those days are long gone.

Peckham is a strange place. Full of fundamentalist black churches and wig shops - but also home to hipsters. East Dulwich is similar. Brixton has also changed. Railton Road is no longer ‘the front line’. It is becoming like ‘Nappy Valley’ in Wandsworth. Hackney and the East End is also being gentrified. Ditto Old Street.

Fifty five bespoke tailors. Two more and he can match Heinz 57 varieties.

Yes it’s Mr. Crompton again. I am posting it here because that is where you can usually find posts about him. It’s more of an observation than a judgement. All his greatest hits are here, going back to Graham Brown and working his way around the world. What a long strange trip it’s been.

One reader said it was quite a ‘rotation’. The reply was that he no longer has most of the commissions. So storage will not be an issue.

Then there are the usual requests for UK tailors outside London. You can guess the reply.

There were a few comments along the lines of ‘I usually spend £500 but I could stretch to a grand, any suggestions’. A very good example was the person who said just that, but added that he was a Londoner and lived close to Savile Row. This gave encouragement to Mr. C who thought he had created another big spender. Reading the post again though the chap never mentioned paying Savile Row prices.

Fifty five bespoke tailors. Two more and he can match Heinz 57 varieties.

Yes it’s Mr. Crompton again. I am posting it here because that is where you can usually find posts about him. It’s more of an observation than a judgement. All his greatest hits are here, going back to Graham Brown and working his way around the world. What a long strange trip it’s been.

One reader said it was quite a ‘rotation’. The reply was that he no longer has most of the commissions. So storage will not be an issue.

Then there are the usual requests for UK tailors outside London. You can guess the reply.

There were a few comments along the lines of ‘I usually spend £500 but I could stretch to a grand, any suggestions’. A very good example was the person who said just that, but added that he was a Londoner and lived close to Savile Row. This gave encouragement to Mr. C who thought he had created another big spender. Reading the post again though the chap never mentioned paying Savile Row prices.

The sign of someone who really knows their subject, and dare I say cares, is whether or not they are able to advise someone how to dress well on a budget.

Redmayne lies Oop North, far beyond the M25. And yet we will travel thousands of miles and hike the last few miles on the back of a donkey to find some godforsaken village in Apulia.

Redmayne lies Oop North, far beyond the M25. And yet we will travel thousands of miles and hike the last few miles on the back of a donkey to find some godforsaken village in Apulia.

Isn't he some kind of roving reporter for Der Rake...?

Mahon might live up North but Redmayne is based in St. George’s Street, Mayfair and that is the contact point too.

• Victorian family home
  • Eat in kitchen
  • Family bathroom
  • Private rear garden
  • Sought-after location

Is that his house then? Some of those Victorian houses for foreman navvies and boiler makers can have quite a lot of depth to the small front. But also a lot of damp, nightmare to keep maintained.

Is that his house then? Some of those Victorian houses for foreman navvies and boiler makers can have quite a lot of depth to the small front. But also a lot of damp, nightmare to keep maintained.

One of the big problems with old Victorian houses is that they don't have cavities so they are prone to damp. They are also prone to draughts, especially around the windows and their high ceilings make it harder to keep warm.

I know, I was brought up in one. Fantastic acoustics for top-notch Hi-Fi though.

2011. A different world.
Well spotted. Maybe he will feature in Mr.Compton’s eagerly awaited Made to Measure article?

Strange that MTM was from £1400 in 2011 for a suit put together in India, yet Redmayne MTM is from £995 in 2020.
Thoughts?

He doesn't seem to have much interest in those tailors, which is a shame as they are surely more reasonably priced and many of his readers would actually be potential clients. He probably sees no glamour in it.

Crompton's does have depth. I know as I took a look from above. A also went around the back, hoping for a peek into his garden and perhaps a glimpse of him in his dressing gown. Alas, there is no rear access.

He doesn't seem to have much interest in those tailors, which is a shame as they are surely more reasonably priced and many of his readers would actually be potential clients. He probably sees no glamour in it.

This is frequently brought up in the comments. He doesn't review regional tailors, both British and Continental European, because they're of no interest to his international readership as they don't travel to London or the US.

This is frequently brought up in the comments. He doesn't review regional tailors, both British and Continental European, because they're of no interest to his international readership as they don't travel to London or the US.

Does he still work for The Rake, if so, do they have an editorial line, if so, what is it. Does it favour Italian tailoring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom