Energy/Power Generation News and Debate

Read between the lines...it's very limited i.e. the energy produced is negligible.

We need to be honest: solar panels at night...indeed.

A team of engineers at Stanford University have developed a solar cell that can generate some electricity at night.

"Our approach can provide nighttime standby lighting and power in off-grid and mini-grid applications, where [solar] cell installations are gaining popularity," the study said.

Mini-grid applications refer to independent electricity networks. These can be used when a population is too small or too far away to extend the grid.

i've highlighted some of the important details in the story that you seem to have skipped over. must have been an oversight on your part.

Ah yes, the most important issue of inducing energy poverty, Net Zero bankruptcy and food insecurity for the masses.
The environmentally sound choice is to continue using Russian natural gas over dirty coal.

The simplest answer is to buy Russian energy. It is cheaper. Plentiful. China and India do it too.

Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith

i found this paragraph revealing:

Grid operator Stedin also told BNR that the government must invest heavily in the rollout of smart charging “otherwise the grid will be too crowded.” The other option is to upgrade the power grid. “But that costs a lot of money and is a social choice. So we’d rather not do that.”

why is there no "social choice" option here?

Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith

i found this paragraph revealing:

why is there no "social choice" option here?
There's a failure here, as elsewhere, with the political class. They have grandiose visions such as ''...smart charging to be the norm from 2025'' really? With no plan, infrastructure budget or technology to achieve it. It's all going very Soviet and the public are realizing this and getting sussed and pissed-off.

Like Germany the Dutch are refiring the coal fire stations, but they keep that quiet. Meanwhile the largest deposit of natural gas in Europe, the Groningen field, is effectively mothballed.

It's all fluff, smoke and mirrors to hide the rapidly disintegrating energy security and cheap energy situation.

Friday, I was at a meeting for a project offshore in Brazil. This one project, one field, is over $5 billion. Compare and contrast with the Green stuff and there's no comparison. The energy density and returns from oil & gas is mega and meanwhile the government will state €5 million here and there and €50 million here for hydrogen. It's all way down the line yet, decades, not this 2025 or 2030 nonsense.

With no plan, infrastructure budget or technology to achieve it. It's all going very Soviet and the public are realizing this and getting sussed and pissed-off.
interesting. why do you think there is no political inclination to be the one/party to stand up and propose a grand plan? if everyone's getting ticked off you'd think some enterprising politician on the left/green/democratic side would jump at the opportunity to plant their flag.

interesting. why do you think there is no political inclination to be the one/party to stand up and propose a grand plan? if everyone's getting ticked off you'd think some enterprising politician on the left/green/democratic side would jump at the opportunity to plant their flag.
The problem is, in most cases the political class are not from hard science or engineering backgrounds. So at the starting gate, they're not qualified.

The problem is, in most cases the political class are not from hard science or engineering backgrounds. So at the starting gate, they're not qualified.
True but I’m sure you have a department of energy or science or other resources the government can tap. I’m all for winging it in a speech but if the power company says we need more power then you need to get those solar panels and wind farms up and running.

Like Germany the Dutch are refiring the coal fire stations, but they keep that quiet. Meanwhile the largest deposit of natural gas in Europe, the Groningen field, is effectively mothballed.

You can now hide using coal as diversifying from Russia. I'm sure you'll also get relief from abiding by commitments to the Paris accords.

And this is scalable how? 100 tonnes of sand in a silo for every few households?

When I tapped on the article headline I thought they were able to do something with solar and the abundant sand in deserts.
I guess you don’t understand geothermal and heat pumps either. Good thing you live in the city and rent.

Aren't they a 100 percent nuclear shop?
No, but an impressive 70%, but the mission is to wait for it by...2030...reduce this significantly so they can rely on intermittent renewables and Putin's gas. That might have changed now.

They're stocking up on British North Sea gas now getting ready for the winter.

One essential aspect of modernity, industry, farming and a thriving population, is cheap and reliable energy. Our elites have decided to sacrifice this on the alter of their virtue signalling, there will be blood on the streets. You can destroy the energy industry over decade or more through neglect, but with farming, you're only one crop away from famine and that includes in the West.

Yes, but she probably believed from one east German to another she could reason with him. She also had the hubris she could deal with former communists and authoritarian figures.

Real energy poverty on the way in:

Seems more expensive than the 500 EUR per household for Cologne. But there is an easy way to handle this. Convert into roubles and pay.

Seems more expensive than the 500 EUR per household for Cologne. But there is an easy way to handle this. Convert into roubles and pay.
That doesn't address energy security, merely continues Merkel's policy of putting one's head in the crocodile.

This graph say's it all:

Pilko-graph.jpg

Repeated in the Netherlands. Take away the carbon rich and polluting biofuels, renewables ain't much happening at all. Coal has been replaced by gas, which we have in abundance and the largest field in Europe here in the Netherlands, but we prefer to close it down and get it from Putin instead.

'Cos it's Green 'innit!

What about the sanctions?!

”Russia's nuclear industry has not been subjected to EU sanctions over its bloody invasion of Ukraine.”

"'The next five to 10 winters will be terrible if we don't do anything,' she said. 'We must act at source, at European level, and work to freeze gas prices.'"

It's all good to freeze prices if there weren't issues with availability of supply. Cheap non existent products don't generate positive headlines.

"Germany - the largest importer of Russian gas in 2020 - has been racing to bolster its gas reserves before winter despite Russia cutting deliveries.

Its aim is to fill its gas capacity to 85% by October. It has implemented energy-saving measures to do so."

Let's keep pumping before our own self imposed sanctions take place. That makes a lot of sense. Instead of drawing 3 units every month let's pump and store 9 and not draw over the winter. That'll prevent the Russians from making money........

The Russians would repair faster if the sanctions weren't in fact. Spare parts and all that.
It's official, Putin's turned off the gas until the sanctions are lifted. VDL steps in to save the day:

A price cap, as if Putin is going to buy into that.

First rule of governance, you must provide cheap, abundant and energy security. Without it, all the niceties fail. Don't pretend you have ultra-reliable renewables when you are infact relying on Putin's gas because you own is too dirty for you and your ultra reliable renewables - take away the dirtier than coal biomass- are providing you next to fuck all in your energy mix. We were sold down the river for a bit of virtue signalling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom