Everything Eyewear

Narrow frames. Still not there.

IMG_9245.JPG
IMG_9248.JPG

Narrow frames. Still not there.

They seem to be sitting "up" on your ears a bit too much, for some reason - are the arms a bit too short?

Apart from that, though, I think that they look really good. Not too high, not too wide, and frame your face well. I think that the warm tortoiseshell colour complements your complexion, too.

They seem to be sitting "up" on your ears a bit too much, for some reason - are the arms a bit too short?
i didn't notice that the first time. they might be a bit too narrow if he has to ride them up his head like that to get high enough on the bridge.

Looks pretty good though. It pays off trying something else besides club masters and creepy cat lady glasses. Have you tried Oliver peoples? They tend to be on the narrower side.

Sometime this month I'll meet Mrs Dropbear for lunch near a high-end optician or else go with her to Costco. Our tastes don't always align, but she does have to stare at my mug more than anyone else. She saw the above frames on the table lastnight and said 'yuck, too round like coke bottles', so we may not find much common ground but at least I have a better idea what works and what I like.

While I started out looking for some thicker keyhole acetate wayfarer, club master or Arnel style frames - I'm actually leaning more to the minimalist titanium styles I tried last week.

Might try something like these next, Randolph Engenieering P3:

IMG_9260.JPG

Thoughts? Maybe try some aviators?

Last edited:
Looks pretty good though. It pays off trying something else besides club masters and creepy cat lady glasses. Have you tried Oliver peoples? They tend to be on the narrower side.
Monkey is right, oliver peoples are made for people with small head/narrow faces. A bit pricy though in comparison to the ones you have tried.

Sometime this month I'll meet Mrs Dropbear for lunch near a high-end optician or else go with her to Costco. Our tastes don't always align, but she does have to stare at my mug more than anyone else. She saw the above frames on the table lastnight and said 'yuck, too round like coke bottles', so we may not find much common ground but at least I have a better idea what works and what I like.

While I started out looking for some thicker keyhole acetate wayfarer, club master or Arnel style frames - I'm actually leaning more to the minimalist titanium styles I tried last week.

Might try something like these next, Randolph Engenieering P3:

View attachment 19676

Thoughts? Maybe try some aviators?

Lol aviator glasses. Are you trying to look even creepier?

Go with the thin acetate, much better than metal frames.

hmmmm. i'm kind of torn on these three. 1 and three both look like they're riding up on your head like the previous pair did. 2 looks like its sitting on your ears. as for color and shape i'll give it another look later.

dropbear - you've got a strong mature interesting face - its not a featureless baby face like most igents. You don't need heavy frames to add some interest. - I'd suggest going to rimless or semi rimless or at least minimalist.

dropbear - you've got a strong mature interesting face - its not a featureless baby face like most igents. You don't need heavy frames to add some interest. - I'd suggest going to rimless or semi rimless or at least minimalist.

As I mentioned above, I'm also leaning towards something minimalist like the bronze wire rim round glasses above. I do love the look of some of these acetate frames I've tried, but they just don't seem to suit me.

As I mentioned above, I'm also leaning towards something minimalist like the bronze wire rim round glasses above. I do love the look of some of these acetate frames I've tried, but they just don't seem to suit me.
What about something more rectangle instead of round/oval?

Browline spectacles are seriously overly represented at the moment, they've reached critical market saturation mass and will be considered extremely last year fashion very shortly. They've had a great 6-7 years building up their popularity again, but now that's well on the way out.

Along with Shuron, the London based and manufactured Savile Row brand are worthy.

After several years of not sporting them, I'm going back to rimless in a big way.

I'm still leaning to narrow wire rims.

Also ordered some GI aviator frames in a size and arm length that will fit me. 2016 insurance is picking up half the bill. These will be my RX sunglasses next year.
IMG_9281.JPG

My top tier vision insurance just kicked-in, the week before I leave for my new job which also offers great vision coverage.

I'm thinking of getting progressive high index sunglasses (small AO aviators above) this week and get the non-tinted glasses later with the new gig.

That or I get the Fossil's above as standard glasses and do the sunglasses later.

Last edited:
Sadly, in these here parts, insurance coverage for spectacles lenses is negligible.

The Savile Row Diaflex Round I recently bought are superb, the only draw back in my prescription because of the size of the lenses and lack of frames, the thickness of the lenses is more than I would normally care for. But look spot on straight on.

Want to beat facial recognition? Get some funky tortoiseshell glasses
Eyewear printed with a wild pattern can be enough to fool commercial systems into misidentification, research shows
1064.png

Pictures showing how researchers were able to use their glasses to impersonate celebrities, as well as each other. Photograph: Mahmood Sharif, Sruti Bhagavatula, Michael K Reiter and Lujo Bauer

A team of researchers from Pittsburgh’s Carnegie Mellon University have created sets of eyeglasses that can prevent wearers from being identified by facial recognition systems, or even fool the technology into identifying them as completely unrelated individuals.

In their paper, Accessorize to a Crime: Real and Stealthy Attacks on State-of-the-Art Face Recognition, presented at the 2016 Computer and Communications Security conference, the researchers present their system for what they describe as “physically realisable” and “inconspicuous” attacks on facial biometric systems, which are designed to exclusively identify a particular individual.

The attack works by taking advantage of differences in how humans and computers understand faces. By selectively changing pixels in an image, it’s possible to leave the human-comprehensible facial image largely unchanged, while flummoxing a facial recognition system trying to categorise the person in the picture.

Where the researchers struck gold was by realising that a large (but not overly large pair of glasses) could act to “change the pixels” even in a real photo. By picking a pair of “geek” frames, with relatively large rims, the researchers were able to obscure about 6.5% of the pixels in any given facial picture. Printing a pattern over those frames then had the effect of manipulating the image.

But because computers don’t read faces the same way people do, the patterns printed over the frames look to an untrained eye like a regular, if garish, tortoiseshell pattern. They’re cheap too: the researchers were able to print the pattern for just $0.22 (£0.18) per frame, using a normal photo printer.

The end result is impressive. The glasses were able to fool both commercial facial recognition software Face++, as well as a more specific model trained exclusively on five researchers and five celebrities. With just the pair of glasses on their faces, the researchers were able to successfully prevent the software from recognising their faces at all, as well as impersonate each other and celebrities including Milla Jovovich and Carson Daly.

The work is not without its limitations. The researchers warn that “the variations in imaging conditions that we investigate in this work are narrower than can be encountered in practice”.

The researchers took photos in a room with no external windows to control lighting, for instance. But they point out that many uses of facial recognition software, including biometric entry to a building, have similarly limited variations.

In other cases, that control is lost, of course: “An attacker may not be able to control the lighting or her distance from the camera when [a facial recognition system] is deployed in the street for surveillance purposes,” the researchers say.

If you’re hoping to wear the glasses at boozy parties to fool your friends’ auto-tagging … well, as the researchers say, “the notion of inconspicuousness is subjective”. That is: someone is still going to ask why you’re wearing those stupid glasses.

The CMU team aren’t the first to demonstrate unusual hybrids of fashion and anti-surveillance tech.

Artist and technologist Adam Harvey first demonstrated his CV Dazzle face-detection camouflage in 2010, which is subtle in its own way: rather than trying the disguise the anti-surveillance system as conventional eyewear, Harvey hides it in plain sight. Bold makeup and hairstyles serve to baffle facial recognition technology while appearing to a human observer not as a subversive anti-tech kit, but as an outlandish style choice.

Bought 2 pairs of Shuro Sidewinders at 60 bucks a pop. Ready to put lenses in them and rock the retro look.

Are these the ones you settled on?

This is the bonus pair I scored with my old insurance- new day driving polarised progressive glasses. Haven't figured out regular frames yet.

Been debating whether to get a pair of Moscot Mazels with green transitions for the spring and summer:

http://moscot.com/shop/mazel

Really like the Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller 1940s vibe to these. Will they work with transitions though? Do transitions work in general?

I gotta admit, so far the best frames that I have tried are Barton Perreira recommended by LelandJ . The way they feel and so forth way above oliver peoples for around 200 dollars less.

The Aalto model looks spot-on:
AALTO_BLACK-PEWTER_ZYL_TITANIUM.jpg

I was a big fan of Oliver Peoples back in the day, 1990-1993. You couldn't watch any film or chat show without being assaulted by some 20/20 visioned actor wearing them. They were well ahead of the pack back then. Now they're a bit too pricey for my liking over here, Euros 500-750 for the frames and then with my lenses on top you're pushing it well over a grand. And you can only get a limited range.

Air Titanium followed them in hipness in the mid-90s and then they were bought out and vanished. But by that time you had all these spec-saver companies churning out rimless specs en mass.

The return of browlines and thick plastic lenses took me by surprise, but now its time for a change again.

Just picked-up my new Abou Gotti frames with green photochromics - look and feel great. Very light frames. Sadly the price was Euros 922.00.

I've had a month of using the green photochromics and I can highly recommend them as a much more modern interpretation than brown and blue transition lenses.

Only brown or grey available photochromatic when I asked. Specsavers UK.

Frames are Cutler and Gross. Apparently Metropolitan Police issue frames from the late 60s , 70s. Algha made them originally - C & G copied.

“Mr Gross fitted a pair of blue mirror sunglass lenses into a rolled gold frame with cable curled temples and made by Algha Works for the Metropolitan Police as their standard issue protective eyewear. This led to Cutler And Gross handmaking their own model 0328 in the early 1990’s, this time with hockey end temples.”

https://www.cutlerandgross.com/shop/details/vintage-0328-gold

Mine will be silver with a grey photochromatic lens.

They're not yet available for all spectacle shapes yet, the green ones.

I much prefer the photochromatic lenses from spring to the end of autumn, but they lose their appeal in winter. Too long to go back to being clear and they still darken on cloudy days. But I find the clarity and sharpness of colours and objects are much better than standard lenses. I'm a convert.

Sup guys,
YL7yWID.png

Those are 46-24-145 Moscot Lemtosh in that photo in tortoise.

Dropbear Dropbear you can pull off all the styles IMO. The smaller TART Arnels definitely fit your face better. I have (2) pairs of the Rayban RX5154 Clubmaster myself (49mm standard size of course), which are that semi-rimless style.

In regards to the MOSCOT Lemtosh, do they look like a good fit to you guys? I'm like OCD about sizes, and I bought the 52mm, 49mm, and 44mm size to try on then return.

The 52mm and 49mm seemed way too big and 44mm possibly too small. My head measured is 22.5 inches, so that's MEDIUM/LARGE and hat size between 7 & 1/8 and 7 & 1/4. I've tried to analyze my face shape but I can't ever tell: I feel like its a mixture between ROUND, and SQAUREISH.

Any input of what face shape I have?
:
xvq6Z3c.png

Last edited:
You joined the forum to show us photographs of your many spectacles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom