Everything Eyewear

Looking back at this thread with some cringe.

The clip-on sunglasses never really worked - too hard to get on without getting a fingerprint on the lens.

mostly, I still wear these AOs I had made-up years ago:

2F6D2298-DEDF-42C2-AD74-F8363AB21684.jpeg

I might try some of these next time:

Father’s Day gift. I thought it might be more retro 50s Ray Ban cool, but I’m getting more of a bogan/biker vibe here:

A0ECE464-5C4A-4550-BD2A-A4164E3F14F1.jpeg
9B9830A1-39ED-42BA-B041-2BC10AA1C852.jpeg

Last edited:
I quite like those bins that Johnny Depp wore in Fear and Loving...

Gonzo specs....

Cigarette holder optionale.

Two mentions of Kent Wang? What are the odds?
well it is the new york times after all. pretty much the target market for his gear. supposedly he does make good accessories but ive never talked to anyone who owned more than his squares.

I quite like those bins that Johnny Depp wore in Fear and Loving...

Gonzo specs....

Cigarette holder optionale.

They're the 1970s Highway style, you must get them with a yellow tint. I had a pair in the mid-2000s for exactly the Hunter S. Thompson look. It helped that I was bald and degenerative too.

I'm in the market for another pair of Allyn Scura Legend's. Will have to order direct from the States, can't find them over here. Get green photochromic lenses in them.

supposedly he does make good accessories but ive never talked to anyone who owned more than his squares.

I've got a couple of his knit ties and pocket squares, from years ago, and both products are good quality and have lasted very well.

He's certainly branched out since then - suits, watches, polo shirts, and various other things.

well it is the new york times after all. pretty much the target market for his gear. supposedly he does make good accessories but ive never talked to anyone who owned more than his squares.

I went around to his student house in East Austin to buy an ocbd, before the squares, when he only sold three colors of the same shirt. I wore it to my wedding rehearsal dinner 12 years ago.

Actually... I had a couple of his polos that I bought with a gift card I bought from YOU.

Last edited:
He moved on from pocket squares then.

Sensible chap to have a plan B.

He's always done other accessories besides PS. Cuff links and shirts were an original product when he started too. He has sold ties, polos, suits and shoes for years. He also does sweaters, trench coats plus an array of other items.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 7.29.56 AM.png

custom how? we talking prescription or are we talking you want one ear one color and another ear a different color type of thing?

i doubt he is talking about either. I assumed he meant custom frames in terms of size, shape, material and yes i guess the possibility of having ears different colors although im not sure why he or anyone would want that.

Last edited:
i doubt he is talking about either. I assumed he meant custom frames in terms of size, shape, material and yes i guess the possibility of having ears different colors although im not sure why he or anyone would want that.
i figured but you never know around this joint.
Custom as in size/shape/material/etc.
how about these?

i have no idea about any of these companies. just did a quick search and they popped up.

When someone requests a suggestion for custom sunglasses on a clothing forum, I believe that it's compulsory for someone to suggest that you fly to Paris so you can pay a large amount of Euros to get a pair of sunglasses that make you look like a 1970s pimp. Then you'll discover that they need some adjusting and you won't be able to wear your inordinately expensive sunglasses until you return to Paris again.

i figured but you never know around this joint.

how about these?

i have no idea about any of these companies. just did a quick search and they popped up.

Olo the bespokedudes eyewear, top research.

When someone requests a suggestion for custom sunglasses on a clothing forum, I believe that it's compulsory for someone to suggest that you fly to Paris so you can pay a large amount of Euros to get a pair of sunglasses that make you look like a 1970s pimp. Then you'll discover that they need some adjusting and you won't be able to wear your inordinately expensive sunglasses until you return to Paris again.
Provided you go to a lunetier who works in an atelier there is some scope for stylistic variation.

You will still have to use genuine tortoiseshell and pay top dollar, of course.

Has any one handled Rigards before? I want a pair but the price is very hefty and measurements are hard to locate.

Has any one handled Rigards before? I want a pair but the price is very hefty and measurements are hard to locate.

That's Steampunk territory. Sorry, I can't help you there.

But on a more disturbing front, just priced up my varifocals as I now need lenses for short and near sightedness and the price with green transitions are Euro 1,250.

I decided to wait on getting my new glasses and prescription lenses which turns out to be a good thing. Rodenstock have this new BIG Vision/biometric/DNEye scanner system and so I've changed opticians. The only problem is that they can't do photochromic lenses in metallic green, only the 1980s brown and grey ones. Not a good look. So I've just gone without.

The other thing I learnt from my new optician is that the blue tint against computer screens has the opposite effect if you're out and about not viewing computer screens. It actually makes your eyes more tired. So those glasses should be strictly for computer use. A moot point being I spend about 18 hours a day on various computers and have barely been out in the sun this year.

With new Rodenstock frames and new multifocal lenses Euros 1,457.00. Better than Euro 1,250 for the lenses alone, although there were green photochromics which are my good to go these days.

I'm booking the next flight out...

If you like gold plated, you can't go wrong with Tiffany & Co Lunettes. Bought a couple of frames a few years back for my bifofocals. Still looking good despite lots of abuse.

If you like gold plated, you can't go wrong with Tiffany & Co Lunettes. Bought a couple of frames a few years back for my bifofocals. Still looking good despite lots of abuse.

I picked-up my first bifocals today...weird angles of view. They did say it will take sometime to get use to.

I keep a pair of glasses in the car for driving, aside from that I don’t think I’ve worn them all year.

i've always hated those short frame big rimmed glasses. personal thing.

If you've got serious myopia, you need short framed glasses. I think they look cool.

I got these for my new multi-focal prescription:

The last pair of glasses before that were Rodenstock too.

Over the years, my spectacle wearing brand wise has been early 90s Oliver Peoples, in the mid-to-late 1990s Air Titanium and in the 2000's to now Porsche Design (which is Rodenstock), Allyn Scura's Ginsberg and Legend (amongst some P3's), Savile Row Eyewear, Rodenstock and I will be getting a pair of the Allyn Scura Legends in photochromic green for this summer. If it ever comes.

If you've got serious myopia, you need short framed glasses. I think they look cool.

I got these for my new multi-focal prescription:

The last pair of glasses before that were Rodenstock too.

Over the years, my spectacle wearing brand wise has been early 90s Oliver Peoples, in the mid-to-late 1990s Air Titanium and in the 2000's to now Porsche Design (which is Rodenstock), Allyn Scura's Ginsberg and Legend (amongst some P3's), Savile Row Eyewear, Rodenstock and I will be getting a pair of the Allyn Scura Legends in photochromic green for this summer. If it ever comes.
Savile Row sadly lost their old East End factory due to redevelopment. They say they are looking for new premises, but opticians who stocked the brand don’t seem to know much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom