Famous People Who Died

Jan Libourel

^What do you have against David Hasselhoff? He seems pretty innocuous to me--no particularly abrasive political opinions or social views, no egregious personal scandals or whatever...at least as far as I know.

Pimpernel Smith

^What do you have against David Hasselhoff? He seems pretty innocuous to me--no particularly abrasive political opinions or social views, no egregious personal scandals or whatever...at least as far as I know.
He was quite a darling of the UK television media in the 1990s, as he fitted in with the Brits (as we were then) with his self-deprecating humour. He seemed a decent enough sort for a jobbing actor made the big time.

Scherensammler

He was quite a darling of the UK television media in the 1990s, as he fitted in with the Brits (as we were then) with his self-deprecating humour. He seemed a decent enough sort for a jobbing actor made the big time.
Big star in Germany in the late 80's and in the 90's as well. Still has a lot of fans today. This was in the charts for ages back then:

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
His being a rock star in Germany

Pimpernel Smith

Watched Performance the other month. Absolute shit.
I've seen very few of the films he's directed, missed the above one and the David Bowie film. I seem to remember Performance, like The Graduate, only making it to UK terrestrial television 20 years later and the BBC making a big deal about showing it. I missed it then too.

Walkabout and Castaway were good as I remember them. Haven't seen them since the 80s.

formby

I've seen very few of the films he's directed, missed the above one and the David Bowie film. I seem to remember Performance, like The Graduate, only making it to UK terrestrial television 20 years later and the BBC making a big deal about showing it. I missed it then too.

Walkabout and Castaway were good as I remember them. Haven't seen them since the 80s.
Aye, but that's down to the actresses spending a large part of the film in the buff, not Roeg's auteurism

Pimpernel Smith

Performance and Man Who Fell are brilliant, though very dated now.
There's a lot of British films that are good exactly because they are fixed in a period and dated/very much of the common culture of the time, excluding historical romances and period pieces: The Jokers with Oliver Reed and Michael Crawford; The Knowledge about learning to be a London cabbie; Get Carter; Kes; Gregory's Girl with the simply delish Clare Crogan in; Local Hero I would include as well. Lots of others.

Another obvious one: The Long Good Friday and not forgetting the banned in the USA Letter to Brezhnev.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

Italian director Bernardo Bertolucci has just died from lung cancer. Not seen that many of his films either: The Last Emperor and 1900. Not even seen Last Tango in Paris.

Top Bottom