Famous People Who Died

I have not actually heard Rush Limbaugh, though I am aware he would be classified as a ‘shock jock’.

That said, he gets a good write up on Breitbart. So I will give him the benefit of the doubt against previous comments here.

How does he compare to similar broadcasters? Anne Coulter for example?
You're probably serious, amazing as that seems. No, he wasn't a 'shock jock'. He was one of the greatest radio broadcasters that ever lived. (I know something of this trade.) The ability to speak coherently without repetition (unlike that creep-master Hannity) with a vocal style that never droned, was enthusiastic and never pedantic for three mind-boggling hours a work day for 30 years gains my utmost respect. While much of what he said I found deplorable, disgusting and designed mainly to bring forth the hidden hatefulness of the average American mobile home dweller spurring them on over the years to what eventually would become January 6th, stilI, I will miss him.

A bit of an aside, but have you ever met the gun writer Jim Downey? It’s sounds like you both moved in similar circles, though he might have been after your time there. These days he does the ballistics by the inch blog and is active in the Liberal Gun Club.

I never heard of the gentleman until this very moment, but please remember that I have been out of the business for more than a decade.

He was a good actor and Mike Baldwin was a great character. Shame about his daughter and granddaughter. As Brits we grew up with Coronation Street as part of our common culture in the 70s and 80s.
We did too over here. I think I started watching at age 10. At least I can remember watching it then.

He was a good actor and Mike Baldwin was a great character. Shame about his daughter and granddaughter. As Brits we grew up with Coronation Street as part of our common culture in the 70s and 80s.
A cockney wide boy amongst proper Northerners like Vera Duckworth.

Chris Barber, English trad jazz trombonist, instigator behind the skiffle craze and the man who introduced Muddy Waters to the Brit audience:

Chris Barber, English trad jazz trombonist, instigator behind the skiffle craze and the man who introduced Muddy Waters to the Brit audience:

Yes. Lonnie Donegan played in his band too. From then on, he influenced almost every popular beat combo in the British Isles.

Dutchman who invented the cassette tape Lou Ottens

I don’t hear much about Phillips these days. I assume they still run PSV Eindhoven but I don’t see much of their consumer electronics.
They do make an exceedingly good electric razor.

Hagler was a great champion in an era where there was really strong competition.

The after effects of the covid vaccine according to newspaper reports.

Last edited:
He sure was interesting with quotes like this: “If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels.”

Best French innovation of the 18th Century:

French%20revolution.jpg

He sure was interesting with quotes like this: “If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels.”
He said all sorts, much of it jest. He was a ufologist too.

See how subtle the BBC is:
Adam Wharton-Ward, 36, also arrived to leave lilies by the palace gates. He is visiting London from his home in France but was so moved by the news, he wanted to "rally round" for the Queen's sake.
"It's so sad. He's been with her for 73 years. If it wasn't for him who knows if she would have got through it," he said.
The duke's appeal, he added, was that he was "almost normal with his gaffes".
"Now that normality has gone," he said.
UNQUOTE

The italics are mine, a dig by the BBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom