Good Articles That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

InstaHate

Another important question is, “are we past the point of no return?” By “we”, I don't just mean politicians but our institutions and the American public. I’m about 85% sure we are, and I’m guessing Rambo is at 99.9%. If we aren’t past it, a return to civility in our discourse is a necessary (though I feel impossible) first step. If we are past it, I still don’t see what incivility accomplishes beyond the masturbatory.

This has felt like a Pandora’s Box type situation since early in 2016. There are a lot of factors here, but McConnell stands out as an individual.

Edit: Just saw this:
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/01/708127456/love-your-enemies-and-maaaybe-you-ll-get-them-to-agree-with-you

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

When you've popped the pill of intersectionality, post-modernism, post-colonialism and social justice warrior celebrity twitter theory, then inevitably you will find half of your population a basket case of deplorables. Under such circumstances conflict will intensify and empathy towards your competitors dissipate.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
Another important question is, “are we past the point of no return?” By “we”, I don't just mean politicians but our institutions and the American public. I’m about 85% sure we are, and I’m guessing Rambo is at 99.9%. If we aren’t past it, a return to civility in our discourse is a necessary (though I feel impossible) first step. If we are past it, I still don’t see what incivility accomplishes beyond the masturbatory.

This has felt like a Pandora’s Box type situation since early in 2016. There are a lot of factors here, but McConnell stands out as an individual.

Edit: Just saw this:
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/01/708127456/love-your-enemies-and-maaaybe-you-ll-get-them-to-agree-with-you
100%. We have actual nazis walking around the streets now. I just saw one here the other day.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
I know that there's a lot of hypocrisy out there, but insulting people and throwing around abuse does alienate people. Quite simply, it just pushes two sides further apart and causes even greater division than already seems to exist.
There's a difference between insulting people and just no longer wanting to deal with their shit. There is no greater division. The olds think the young are tide pod eating faggots. The youngs think the olds are killing the planet because they wont be around. Theyre both right. And saying that isnt a bad thing.

Journeyman

Supporter
When you've popped the pill of intersectionality, post-modernism, post-colonialism and social justice warrior celebrity twitter theory, then inevitably you will find half of your population a basket case of deplorables.
Maybe I'm incorrect, but it always seemed to me that it was the conservative right that went on the attack first, particularly in places like talkback radio and on Fox programs.

Yes, there is an amount of intellectual arrogance, a bit of sneering down noses that goes on with the liberal left, but it seems that there's more vituperation on the right and that it's been going on longer.

InstaHate

Maybe I'm incorrect, but it always seemed to me that it was the conservative right that went on the attack first, particularly in places like talkback radio and on Fox programs.

Yes, there is an amount of intellectual arrogance, a bit of sneering down noses that goes on with the liberal left, but it seems that there's more vituperation on the right and that it's been going on longer.
Far more than “a bit”, but as an American Republican (until recently, at least), this is largely my impression, though after Trump’s election, both groups are equally guilty.

Pimpernel Smith

It the past, I agree, but as those ideologies have hit critical mass in the culture, the so called liberal left have become intolerant and ravenous in their appetite to control, dominate and make the right and rest of society submit.

Dig one's own?
They do say that the after-effects of vintage coconut wine is rather divine.

QuandoDio

In the past, well I suppose two or so years is now considered 'past'.

Amusingly, didn't see much course correction during those times. Frankly both sides are antagonistic and to suggest otherwise is nonsensical. I suppose, it depends on your 'tribe'.

InstaHate

In the past, well I suppose two or so years is now considered 'past'.

Amusingly, didn't see much course correction during those times. Frankly both sides are antagonistic and to suggest otherwise is nonsensical. I suppose, it depends on your 'tribe'.
Yeah, but the other side is clearly more antagonistic.

Fwiffo

Supporter
How to be a better tourist

"That’s a comment I overheard waiting in an immigration queue in Dublin last month. The travellers were talking about Dubrovnik, and how crowded all destinations seem lately. The idea struck me in a weird way. Sure, more people are travelling than ever – which is good. People are broadening their horizons. But reducing destinations to an ever-shrinking collection of 'hidden gems' to be ticked off a bucket list is the kind of attitude that’s fuelling over-tourism.

Over-tourism is a worldwide issue: Peru’s Machu Picchu. Scotland’s scenic Isle of Skye. Gion, Kyoto’s geisha district. Amsterdam’s Red Light district. The canals of Venice. California’s “super-blooming” poppy fields. The Louvre, which reopened late last month after a brief closure when employees walked out because of overwhelming crowds. Thailand’s Maya Bay, now closed to tourists indefinitely.

All these places have been inundated by more tourists than they can handle, both domestic and foreign. Visitors are overcrowding, littering, acting drunk and lewd, causing environmental damage, failing to respect local culture, inappropriately touching or taking things and driving up rents.

According to a January report from the UN World Tourism Organization, international tourist arrivals hit 1.4 billion in 2018. Compare that to just 25 million in 1950, 602 million in 1998 and 936 million in 2008. By 2030, the number is expected to hit 1.8 billion.

There are many factors for this boom: a growing global middle class, cheaper airfares, ambitious tourism targets set by governments and FOMO-inducing social media.

'The question is, do you want to go to a place – or show people you’ve been to the place?' says Eduardo Santander, executive director of the European Travel Commission.

'Half the reason people have superficial travel experiences is because they’ve made superficial plans,' says journalist Becker. She encourages people to do more than read a paragraph in a guide book or copy friends on Facebook, then parachute into a city and get the same selfie they did. Otherwise, you risk committing what Becker calls 'drive-by tourism', which stokes many of the symptoms of over-tourism, like overcrowding and irritating locals."

Pretty much what ballmouse Pimpernel Smith Kingstonian Journeyman were discussing

Last edited:

ter1413

Witness Protection Program
Incredible images show the intricate designs on Tutankhamun's golden coffin as it is taken out of its sterilisation tent after leaving the pharaoh's tomb for the first time in 97 years for an eight month restoration project

Top Bottom