Good Articles That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

Need to rename this threak: 'Good articles likely to trigger someone in some way that is both annoying and weirdly satisfying.'

I had to look that one up. More acronyms around these days.

Though I might be more informed than former PM David Cameron who believed that LOL stood for Lots of Love, whereas most know it as Loyal Orange Lodge.

Emojis are also on the increase. I still have no idea what an aubergine is supposed to symbolise.

I had to look that one up. More acronyms around these days.

Though I might be more informed than former PM David Cameron who believed that LOL stood for Lots of Love, whereas most know it as Loyal Orange Lodge.

Emojis are also on the increase. I still have no idea what an aubergine is supposed to symbolise.
Ok Boomer.

Giraffes May Be as Socially Complex as Chimps and Elephants​

A review of earlier research shows giraffes have the markings of social creatures, including friendships, day care and grandmothers.
Whoever said that is sticking their neck out a bit!

lets start with money and quality of life
Fewer death threats and fuckwitted ‘I did my own research so I won’t obey’ idiots to deal with. Politicians who aren’t actively working to undermine public safety.

I had to help my father request his Masters from the 70s since he only had his PhD. Had to create an account by calling IT (because obviously he didn't have an online student account then) and after figuring out the whole process it would cost $60. I paid, but after 3-4 weeks of hounding them because nothing was showing up they said my father was a special case and it wouldn't be processed until the staff were back in the office in September.

I hope my parents still have mine somewhere. I'd rather deal with them than with this process again.

Interesting article - something similar happened with some members of Australia's elite special troops, the Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment.

A retired judge conducted an inquiry into possible war crimes by Australian special forces:

https://afghanistaninquiry.defence....fghanistan-Inquiry-Public-Release-Version.pdf

Here's a news article that summarises and discusses the report:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11...eport-released-what-you-need-to-know/12899880

A quote from the article:

The report detailed shocking revelations from an earlier 2016 inquiry, by Samantha Crompvoets, that SAS soldiers slit the throats of two 14-year-old boys they thought might be Taliban sympathisers. The deaths do not appear to be included in the 39 figure reached by the inquiry.

"They stopped, searched the boys and slit their throats," it said.

"The rest of the troop then had to 'clean up that mess', which involved bagging the bodies and throwing them into a nearby river."

The report also mentioned allegations of special forces arriving next to a village by helicopter and indiscriminately opening fire on anyone running away from the helicopters (apparently they nicknamed running people "squirters"), then going into the village, rounding up the men and boys, taking them to houses, torturing and killing them.

There are now questions being asked about whether the special forces were used too much and too frequently, in place of regular troops, in the hope of avoiding casualties; whether they viewed themselves as too "apart" from regular troops and thus beyond the usual military chain of command and discipline; and the sort of mindset that then fuelled, or caused. There were photos of an SAS vehicle flying a Nazi swastika flag, and SAS troopers wearing unofficial uniform patches featuring the "Punisher" logo.

More for Kingstonian Kingstonian - must admit I never would have guessed it wasn't a conveyor belt of random people at a chain pub.
He should not have been allowed into the UK. Angola was a Portuguese colony. If Americans rescued him he should have gone to the USA.

Sadly we let anybody in to our country now.

A Generation of American Men Give Up on College: ‘I Just Feel Lost’​

The number of men enrolled at two- and four-year colleges has fallen behind women by record levels, in a widening education gap across the U.S.​

And 20 years later we have this, as published in Teen Vogue and The Washington Post:

E--mNwFVgAIarGD.jpg

How old are these people?

Did they not remember the morning of Tuesday, September 11th 2001 and the 24/7 coverage - every single channel - until that weekend? Entertainment, award shows and sports were all put on hold.

As much as I'm not a fan of George W Bush, "you are either with us or against us" was the mantra of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom