Home Decorating, Renovations & Remodeling

" So is the hole connected to the stove itself? If so, won't that let heat out? If not, won't that let cold in?"

I guess the idea that a picture is worth a thousand words is pretty much lost on you,

Jeezus no, the stove is not hooked up to the hole. You thought it was maybe a sideways chimney made of wood? The hole, henceforth to be referred to as a passthru, is to shove logs through so I don't have to open the door, prop it open in sub freezing temps and go stumbling into the house wearing crampons and carrying 40 pounds of unbalanced logs. In the summer, when there'll be no need for a warming fire, I plan to reverse the use of the passthru and sell lemonade to anyone willing to crawl by on their belly.

Last edited:
The upstairs living room as we found it, 70's shag and all. We kept the chandelier and moved that gorgeous stove downstairs, putting in a much smaller Jotul.

Upstairs Living Room.JPG

We ripped out the carpet and put in blue carpet. I think this year we're going to do hardwoods throughout the upstairs and put in reclaimed solid doors.

The green couch is also gone. We'd moved in from a condo and literally all of the furniture we'd owned at the time fit into this room -- it's 800 square feet with a balcony overlooking the valley and horse farms below. We now have leather furniture upstairs. I'd post a pic but we had a rager here last night and the house is a wreck.

P1000105.JPG

The new stove:
Jotul.jpg

Taking out that goddamned mural wall. My wife takes the inaugural swing.
100_1701.JPG

Of course, we had to desecrate it first:
100_1697.JPG
100_1698.JPG

" So is the hole connected to the stove itself? If so, won't that let heat out? If not, won't that let cold in?"

I guess the idea that a picture is worth a thousand words is pretty much lost on you,

Jeezus no, the stove is not hooked up to the hole. You thought it was maybe a sideways chimney made of wood? The hole, henceforth to be referred to as a passthru, is to shove logs through so I don't have to open the door, prop it open in sub freezing temps and go stumbling into the house wearing crampons and carrying 40 pounds of unbalanced logs. In the summer, when there'll be no need for a warming fire, I plan to reverse the use of the passthru and sell lemonade to anyone willing to crawl by on their belly.

There is sympatico in the world. You just cut a new hole for wood. I recently closed one over.

Original framing. Amazing wood. I hated to rip it down.
100_1706.JPG

Seismically anchored all of the supporting posts, and then raised the floor 6".
100_1741.JPG

Subflooring:
100_1754.JPG

Flooring. 6,000 nails in this fucking floor, driven by hand. #3 and #2 common American Walnut. EDITED TO ADD: I had planned to wrap all the posts and beams with fir and bump them out to 10-12", and do the trim with hemlock; the crown moldings I'd found on Ebay were mahogany. I figured If I stained them all the same, the variegation in the flooring would tie it all together. It gave it a very rustic look, which we accented by doing simple Shaker-style moldings and frames.
100_1843.jpg

Framing in the bathroom behind the kitchen downstairs:
Bathroom framing.JPG

New windows. The big window on the right is 6 X 7' and replaced the sliding garage door from the first picture. The garage door is now where the barn doors were (in the second garage bay) and the barn doors are now the back and one side of my woodshed.
windows & new door.JPG

Last edited:
Stairs to the kitchen, before and after. We moved that back wall about 4', kept the toilet in its place in the bathroom behind so we didn't have to replumb, but reversed the bathroom, plus added a really nice guest shower.
Stairs to Kitchen Sept 16 2008.JPG

Last edited:
Great room before and after:
KitchenBeforeAfter.jpg

Kitchen island -- IKEA cabinets that we wrapped in pine and stained. Note the toekick heater at the breakfast nook for those chilly mornings. All the cabinets are IKEA, even the ones in the back. We used a piece of crown molding to trim the top to give them a built-in look. Fucking love IKEA cabinets.
KitchenIsland-1.jpg

LRBig-1.jpg

The kitchen ceiling: we did a heavy trowel job and then used a rag-off to give it a leather look:
KitchenCeiling-Copy.jpg

Dinner on the kitchen island:
IMG_20130105_190141_523.jpg

And a patio out front to capitalize on the outdoor fireplace:
Patio Before After.jpg

Kitchen.jpeg

Last edited:
Because we bought the old junker for cash and I was bored?

Sorry, the why was for Thruth.

-------------------------------

My little hole-in-the-wall tale is being overshadowed here by a lotta other stuff. So I'm out for now.

Sorry, the why was for Thruth.

-------------------------------

My little hole-in-the-wall tale is being overshadowed here by a lotta other stuff. So I'm out for now.

Sorry about that, man. I'm done, now. My bad.

Rain Man, really you left the staircase hearts in? What is this purseforum?

The wife likes them. Plus there are hearts outside on the balcony and with the remod it gives it a chalet feel. And the pain in the ass of tearing them out and putting in balusters was not even worth it. There's a reason that baluster and ballbuster are only one pound apart.

Great room before and after:
View attachment 8454
Kitchen island -- IKEA cabinets that we wrapped in pine and stained. Note the toekick heater at the breakfast nook for those chilly mornings. All the cabinets are IKEA, even the ones in the back. We used a piece of crown molding to trim the top to give them a built-in look. Fucking love IKEA cabinets.
View attachment 8455

View attachment 8456
The kitchen ceiling: we did a heavy trowel job and then used a rag-off to give it a leather look:
View attachment 8457
Dinner on the kitchen island:
View attachment 8452

And a patio out front to capitalize on the outdoor fireplace:
View attachment 8458
Holy shit it turned out amazing. You did it ALL yourself?

Sorry Peak. I live in Florida. We don't have this shit down here. The closest you'd get to a hole is a doggy door.

I still am curious about how you keep the weather out. Is the whole thing insulated with some sort of sealed, weather proofed door on the inside?

Holy shit it turned out amazing. You did it ALL yourself?
Thanks.

We hired a professional crew for the framing, my nephew the Rugby captain did some of the heavy lifting with me and was my helper for the summer, we hired a plumber for the rough-in, and I had a buddy who is Disney On Ice with a FesTool help with some of the finish work that I just didn't have the nuts to do. Like this corner in the dining room, where we'd bumped out the posts. This is his work, before I filled and stained:

P1000109.JPG

That's 8" mahogany and when I started measuring the ceiling and got to that corner I was like, "Yeah, I'm not remotely that good."

He also used flooring scraps to build a gate for the dog's "corral" and made a matching one for the top of the stairs. Because at that point we were well through a half-rack, we still had the FesTool out, and my wife had gone out to fetch wine and burritos, so why not?
Tor Gates.JPG

We did -- lemme think -- I think we did everything else. It's been awhile. We had an electrical contractor put in the panel but I ran all the wires and before we buttoned up the walls we had him check it and point out the stuff we couldn't get away with; he also did a final checkout and I think there were a couple of things he had to re-do. All in all it took about 8 months and I wasn't working during that time.

The worst part was sanding and staining the floor. Putting in the front patio also sucked major balls. Fuck tile and stone work. Seriously.

My wife spec'd the whole thing out using the IKEA planner on her laptop, which was what we'd used when we were remodeling condos. She was off by 3/8" on the finished width of the dividing wall between the dining room and the kitchen. That, I think, is the really amazing part of this.

We did interior remods during the boom but they were ham-and-egg jobs -- click-together laminate floors, paint, new fixtures and countertops.

before after.JPG

That's pretty fucking cool. How do you install and set that? I imagine thinset isn't precise enough.

Pulled up the laminate. Painted the subfloor black. Used an Elmer's glue stick to stick them down one at a time. Some people use contact sheets and build squares but you still have to put them down one at a time. Used thick bar & table epoxy (bestbartopepoxy.com). Brush on a seal coat to prevent air bubbles then pour on the expoxy. Self-levels to 1/8". Can use a torch to pop any bubble if you get them before it cures.

Pulled up the laminate. Painted the subfloor black. Used an Elmer's glue stick to stick them down one at a time. Some people use contact sheets and build squares but you still have to put them down one at a time. Used thick bar & table epoxy (bestbartopepoxy.com). Brush on a seal coat to prevent air bubbles then pour on the expoxy. Self-levels to 1/8". Can use a torch to pop any bubble if you get them before it cures.
Jesus that sounds like it would have taken forever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom