Improving DressedWell.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Seems fine to me, but I really haven't noticed any issues lately anyway. I'm on an Apple desktop, using a Chrome browser.
a lot of the load issues i've noticed have been on mobile. the goal of a lazy load is to get you to your desired post first and load up the images you've already looked at in the background. what currently happens is the page will load all the images first and then drop you to your first unread post.

Last edited:

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Dunno. I use my phone, a desktop, an iPad and an android tablet. Haven't noticed any real problems. I don't consider using the phone real internet etc use.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
ok, so the best we can do with our current setup is uploading the video to your personal media gallery and then adding that into the post via the camera button on the toolbar. we use shared hosting which is too resource sparse to allow for video transcribing. we'd need to run a VPS or dedicated server, which would at minimum double our hosting costs, and likely triple them given the storage space required to host the video files. so there's steps to take either way - you upload them to youtube or you upload them to the media gallery. the gallery is likely to crap out on you so i suggest using youtube, but i reinstalled it so you could try it out. there's no streamlined solution for us.

ConchitaWurst

Bespoke-Weather Forecaster
Ratings
ok, so the best we can do with our current setup is uploading the video to your personal media gallery and then adding that into the post via the camera button on the toolbar. we use shared hosting which is too resource sparse to allow for video transcribing. we'd need to run a VPS or dedicated server, which would at minimum double our hosting costs, and likely triple them given the storage space required to host the video files. so there's steps to take either way - you upload them to youtube or you upload them to the media gallery. the gallery is likely to crap out on you so i suggest using youtube, but i reinstalled it so you could try it out. there's no streamlined solution for us.
whats the media gallery button?

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
Latest posts doesn't seem to be updating for some reason.
this is fixed. there was a problem after i upgraded the addon that i didn't realize until it was too late. sorry about that.

ConchitaWurst ConchitaWurst i don't know if the media gallery is going to be a viable solution with our hosting setup because even if we get it functioning we can't get thumbnails for the videos so they'll all show up as grey squares until you play them. i'm still working on a solution to get the videos we do upload into posts.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
A couple of housekeeping items to report:

-Within the next few months the release of Xenforo 2.0 will become stable and available for us to upgrade to. This will come with a bunch of changes to the front end which will make the forum more user friendly. I'll update everyone when the changes start coming down the pike but in the meantime, if you haven't donated, please consider chipping in and filling up the coffers. Much like with every release of a desktop operating system, all of the developers are having to re-write their code for the updated software, and are seeking increases in their fees. I will attempt to defray the costs as long as possible but its going to hurt.

-Also, we're due for a new year of hosting. This is another $100 that needs to be paid. Unless someone wants to fund the change to a VPS so that we can use the media gallery video upload feature properly, which would probably be $250 for the year, at a minimum. Since no one is using it whatsoever, I really don't see the point, but I thought I would throw it out there.

-Lastly, I've had a request by a member to remove the likes system. They feel it leads to trolling and we would be better off without it. I promised I would raise it with the membership. Let me know your feelings on the matter.

Registered

CesareRomiti

Ratings

-Within the next few months the release of Xenforo 2.0 will become stable and available for us to upgrade to. This will come with a bunch of changes to the front end which will make the forum more user friendly. I'll update everyone when the changes start coming down the pike but in the meantime, if you haven't donated, please consider chipping in and filling up the coffers. Much like with every release of a desktop operating system, all of the developers are having to re-write their code for the updated software, and are seeking increases in their fees. I will attempt to defray the costs as long as possible but its going to hurt.

-Also, we're due for a new year of hosting. This is another $100 that needs to be paid. Unless someone wants to fund the change to a VPS so that we can use the media gallery video upload feature properly, which would probably be $250 for the year, at a minimum. Since no one is using it whatsoever, I really don't see the point, but I thought I would throw it out there.

-Lastly, I've had a request by a member to remove the likes system. They feel it leads to trolling and we would be better off without it. I promised I would raise it with the membership. Let me know your feelings on the matter.

Registered
1. I will donate
2. I donate
3. Sorry, no - the internet lives off likes

formby

Ratings

Registered
I'm not particularly bothered about the 'Likes' system, even though it can, and probably is, used to egg-on certain characters.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings

ConchitaWurst

Bespoke-Weather Forecaster
Ratings
thank you

much abliged

i agree but i said i'd raise the issue.

one of the things we're looking at for the software upgrade to 2.0 is a more robust likes system that allows for a variety of responses, not just likes.
i'll donate but not as much as CesareRomiti CesareRomiti

yes please include a dislike/hate/fuck off button. it will help the more unstable members to blow off some steam avoiding the need for them to write and send threat pms

pm please include a bad taster button too

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Pick me, pick me! Or I guess I have to be like some other ex-members and make a new Paypal and join as an alter ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom