Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone!

After I had fun for a few days reading some of the threads here, I decided to join the bunch, consoled with the idea that, if I still make style mistakes from now on, at least I’ll make them fully informed.

Factsheet: My interests range between classic menswear (wich I now rediscover in my 50’s) and vintage steel racing bicycles, both of which I lack the resources to generously satisfy. I live in Europe, so have mercy with me if I’ll botch all the inch-cm and Fahrenheit-Celsius conversions. More precisely I reside in Transylvania, which must be why all my previously bought clothes look like hanging on an undead. Also, I never seem to fit any of the known sizes, which leaves me hanging onto something like 25 or 50S, with plenty of work for my adjustments lady. When it comes to menswear I’m almost illiterate, I can barely distinguish between RTW and MTM, so don’t take my posts seriously, if I piss you off, just don’t ban me, it’s enough to drive a stake through my heart. ;)

Last edited:
Welcome @stavend
Are you isolating because of Covid?

200.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I am a recently retired corrections professional with a couple of masters degrees in the social sciences. Worked 35 years doing probation work and helping to administer prisons. I also was an adjunct (part-time) college instructor for 10 years. For many years I have been a columnist providing political commentary for various very obscure publications in the US and the UK.
I got interested in dressing well back in the mid-eighties when I was a probation officer and I was required to always have a jacket and tie ready if I was suddenly summoned by a criminal court judge for a hearing. I got to enjoy dressing fairly well.
19 years ago I lived in the suburbs of Manhattan and was on the fringes of the social scene there. I have been living in the south for professional reasons, but will be returning to the East Coast in a couple of months to be close to relatives and old friends. For fun I take seminary level courses in Theology and Church History.

Hi. Good to be here. I hope.

I’m a native Londoner, happy to inhabit one of the clothing hotspots of the world. Have always loved clothes and look forward to exchanging views with like-minded gentlemen.

Thanks for having me.

Last edited:
How do you do? Heinz-Ulrich von Boffke here. New to the forum. My interests are in classic menswear up the business casual revolution of the 90s and early 2000s, when resembling an overflowing hamper full of soiled laundry (with legs) seemed to become the norm. Still flying the flag for dressing presentably for work (and at home) here in Mid-Michigan.

Kind Regards,

H-U

I live in the small town of Innerleithen in the Scottish Borders, dad was a engineer, mum a hand sewer both with local businesses. Life for me started in the hills of Glen and Leithen Water spending all spare time with the gamekeepers then leaving school life on the farm began for a few years and annually at Lambing time, but the local Mills attracted me to learn the skills of Carding, spinning and that led to life at Ballantyne, Caerlee Mill (the Hosiery as known locally) and the Handcrafted Skill of Knitting on Handflat industrial machinery then all the finishing process involved from 1979.

1985, I started on my own contract knitting for all the big companies and fashion designers learning all there methods, 1987 I bought the premises at No13 that I have next to Smails Print Works on the High St, although hibernated for a few years while doing other things I still knit and finish garments on all gauges of what some call Vintage machinery but the set up is exactly as the Ballantyne Sample knitting room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom