It's always five o'clock somewhere

Kingstonian

Ratings
Fullers 1845, bottle-conditioned strong ale. Well regarded. £2 for 500 ml bottle. Four for £6 in Waitrose. With Waitrose £4 voucher on bills over £20 works out at £1.25 a bottle. A steal. Mix in Fullers London Porter for variety if you like, same deal. Not session beers or even summer beers.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Read an interesting report on drinking in France. One litre of wine per meal recommended medical limit not so long ago.

More interesting was school kids were allowed half a litre of wine with meals in 1956. Alcohol for school kids only banned in 1980.

Britain was reasonably enlightened regarding children’s drinking in my youth. Kids not allowed in pubs, so they were proper grown up venues. However teenagers could get served fairly easily in pubs if they behaved themselves. Get the tallest kid to go to the bar. Beer was not that strong and youngsters were not taking drugs.

https://www.france24.com/en/2019032...ign-daily-intake-wine-french-culture-drinking

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Fullers 1845, bottle-conditioned strong ale. Well regarded. £2 for 500 ml bottle. Four for £6 in Waitrose. With Waitrose £4 voucher on bills over £20 works out at £1.25 a bottle. A steal. Mix in Fullers London Porter for variety if you like, same deal. Not session beers or even summer beers.
Very summer like. Discounts on alcohol to encourage vice.

Read an interesting report on drinking in France. One litre of wine per meal recommended medical limit not so long ago.

More interesting was school kids were allowed half a litre of wine with meals in 1956. Alcohol for school kids only banned in 1980.

Britain was reasonably enlightened regarding children’s drinking in my youth. Kids not allowed in pubs, so they were proper grown up venues. However teenagers could get served fairly easily in pubs if they behaved themselves. Get the tallest kid to go to the bar. Beer was not that strong and youngsters were not taking drugs.

https://www.france24.com/en/2019032...ign-daily-intake-wine-french-culture-drinking
Somewhere in this forum I cited a study where peak alcohol consumption in UK ended a decade or so ago. Subsequent younger millennial and I assume Gen Z now are tee total.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings

Also the old bar section of the pubs, as opposed to the lounge were strictly a male and working class preserve. And cheaper ale too. You could still get Mild when I started drinking almost everywhere.

I was frequenting pubs a couple of months before my 16 birthday and pretty much every Friday and Saturday night and whilst I might have been a bit earlier than most, it wasn't unusual and was pretty much accepted as a rite of passage that you would go out and get pissed.

We Brits are pretty much up there with the traditional Russkies for tolerance and alcohol abuse. We can do it as good as anyone.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I woke up yesterday at 515 to do my bus commute to work. There were bus issues on the return leg and I ended up being back by 2000 instead of 1930 so I was late meeting my mate and his girlfriend.

Had 3 Manhattans and a brandy at a wine bar with some live blues musicians. Whilst they took breaks I was chatting up our lovely waitress and bartender at the back. It's 2300 and my mate's dozing off in front of the performers so I have to get the cheque.

We went next to play foosball, street fighter, pinball and some light gun games. 2 double Jameson.

Went to a club next and had a double Jameson but my mate's girl didn't like the scene.

Popped over next door to an old bartender I knew and ordered a bottle of champagne and some more brandy. It's 230 when we finish so we decide to go to Chinatown for dim sum and I staggered home after 4.

I'm wrecked today. I barely made it over to see my barber at 11.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Dim sum is usually an afternoon thing in London Chinatown.

Are you in Toronto? Spadina Avenue?
Dim sum is a brunch/lunch thing. We were at Rol San on Spadina. There was a queue to get in and barely any of the customers at that time were Chinese. It's infamous at that hour for catering to the post industry and post clubbing crowd.

Dining options at 3 in the area was a diner, Rol San or Swatow, Pho Pasteur, or random shawarma chains.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I woke up yesterday at 515 to do my bus commute to work. There were bus issues on the return leg and I ended up being back by 2000 instead of 1930 so I was late meeting my mate and his girlfriend.

Had 3 Manhattans and a brandy at a wine bar with some live blues musicians. Whilst they took breaks I was chatting up our lovely waitress and bartender at the back. It's 2300 and my mate's dozing off in front of the performers so I have to get the cheque.

We went next to play foosball, street fighter, pinball and some light gun games. 2 double Jameson.

Went to a club next and had a double Jameson but my mate's girl didn't like the scene.

Popped over next door to an old bartender I knew and ordered a bottle of champagne and some more brandy. It's 230 when we finish so we decide to go to Chinatown for dim sum and I staggered home after 4.

I'm wrecked today. I barely made it over to see my barber at 11.
Some bad drink combinations there, a drinking man should be wise to such obvious mistakes.

If you had inserted a Chinese meal before the foosball and stuff, I reckon you'd have been fit as fiddle in the morning.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Some bad drink combinations there, a drinking man should be wise to such obvious mistakes.

If you had inserted a Chinese meal before the foosball and stuff, I reckon you'd have been fit as fiddle in the morning.
Since my boss was in on Monday and later subsequently flew out I had been boozing all week so that might have had a detrimental effect (at least 2 nights I got to bed after midnight). I honestly thought the blues bar was the last stop and the cocktails were a point of conversation so I could speak to the waitress/bartender one on one in the back. Plus my mate and his girl were already a few in from another whisky bar. That said when I laid down the challenge of 4am they wanted to respond. At least she did because last time she was completely sloshed in front of me in the pub after a footy game. Or maybe it was a carnival.

I had "back bacon" which looked like glorified prepackaged ham that morning for breakfast and some roasted potatoes at a free hotel breakfast. Then for lunch I flipped between a greek salad with chicken breast to chicken fingers and fries. An impending rainstorm meant I ate the chicken and left the potato behind. One of my staff gave me one sliver of kit kat and I decided to order smoked salmon on latkes instead of a full meal at the wine bar. I was remarkably sturdy without a lot of sustenance.

The last bar specializes in whiskys and has champagne by the glass so that's why sparkling was an easy choice.

I certainly can't be out and about for 23 hours like I used to.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
After my Friday night of debauchery I restarted drinking again on Tuesday. 2 glasses of 9 oz pinot grigio, 2 double Johnnie Walker black. I really didn't need the last one but the bartender insisted.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Today's family meal was lunch at my aunt's house. As I have been shifting residences and living out of a travel bag for work this year I dropped off my alcohol collection at my aunt's place for Christmas and safekeeping. My aunt told me a few times my cousins came over and wanted to imbibe. Today I open the liquor cabinet and find my Chivas Royal Salute 21 is gone. I'm down to one XO cognac. I have an equal number of Irish whiskeys to Scottish whiskys. In the place of the missing bottles are St. Remy, something called Gibson's and a few other cheap brands that someone either brought over or was kind enough to "replace" my spent collection with.

Top Bottom