It's always five o'clock somewhere

Oddly, Powers is not a whiskey we can get readily over here.

Armagnac is not only wonderful, it is a lot more cost effective compared to Cognac.

Port is always a good after dinner digestif with cheese.
Cognac is dominated by the big distilleries. Armagnac is much more 'cottage'.

...thats until the influences and speculators catch on and fuck it up.

Big big fan of Taylor Fladgate port. The Local club pours it for the Past Chair's dinner, you can't put the vessel on the table until everyone gets a pour. I think that is a naval tradition.

Anyway, The Oloroso is not sweet at all, it isn't bad, just not what I'm accustomed to. I do not drink any type of standard wine so those flavours are foreign to me.

That Oloroso has taken some getting used to, I am still not quite there. I will be skipping to PX Sherry, $30 for a bottle of sugar syrup, no thanks.
I am thinking about some of the lower tier bourbons or even trying Jamesons.

OLO, "even trying Jamesons". OMG JUST DRINK IT YOU BLOOD CLOT CONNASEWER

I'll buy it when I feel like drinking Labatt 50.
Give me a quart of 50 at the Laff in Byward with the freaks and fairies, dykes and fairies. Canada's best dive bar since 1849.

When did you get all STYFO POSH FAGGOTY?

What are you drinking up there in freezeland?

Last edited:
Cognac is dominated by the big distilleries. Armagnac is much more 'cottage'.

...thats until the influences and speculators catch on and fuck it up.
Didn't rappers get into Cognac in a big way? There's an interview with Tony Visconti on Youtube where he states the 70s were all about Cognac and cocaine. Good times. And remember, despite popular opinion, he produced those Berlin albums and not Brian Eno.

The speculators haven't gone into the Cognac and brandies market, at least not like whiskies. That's a good thing.

Big big fan of Taylor Fladgate port. The Local club pours it for the Past Chair's dinner, you can't put the vessel on the table until everyone gets a pour. I think that is a naval tradition.

Anyway, The Oloroso is not sweet at all, it isn't bad, just not what I'm accustomed to. I do not drink any type of standard wine so those flavours are foreign to me.
Taylor's ports are excellent and great value.

Negroni time.

20210320_175022.jpg

I was hoping someone would notice. Was my Christmas gift to the wife that I conveniently get to use
nice. you dialed in the coffee ratios yet? the only downside to it is how you need to tweak your recipes to get it to really shine.

nice. you dialed in the coffee ratios yet? the only downside to it is how you need to tweak your recipes to get it to really shine.

It's a work in progress, but hasn't had anything bad come out the carafe yet!

This is a great South African white and I will be finishing it off tonight over my portion controlled 4 day a week Hello Fresh diet:

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

This time last year when the stay-at-home orders started, I bought the JW Lowlands, Highlands Origin and the Triple Cask Condition. This time, I bought the Islay Origin as well, plus the Blender's Batch Bourbon Cask and Rye Finish. Had a dram of the Islay blend last night, not too much peaty phenol, just right on the smoky front. Haven't tried the Blender's Batch, but all the others are excellent blends, much better than the standard and Double Black Labels. You can still get them here in the Netherlands even thought they're limited and travel editions.

IMG_2314.jpg

Got a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream this afternoon. Returned it.

Last edited:
I like this sort of thing, love the Sherlock Peterson Pipe

Last edited:
Draught ales again since April12th - but outside the pub only not indoors.

Beer festival on Friday St. George’s Day. Twenty four beers on. Fine in the afternoon sunshine. Hail to the ale!

A bit nippy in the evening, despite the jumper that I brought along. I had to resort to using one of the England flags that the landlord had distributed to people as a cloak for extra warmth. The garden is nicely revamped but he does not have any outdoor heaters yet.

Morris dancers still in lockdown.

IMG_20150424_115453.jpg

Last time I was across the pond for St. George.

After a week of being dry, I decided to indulge in French vino.

Draught ales again since April12th - but outside the pub only not indoors.

Beer festival on Friday St. George’s Day. Twenty four beers on. Fine in the afternoon sunshine. Hail to the ale!

A bit nippy in the evening, despite the jumper that I brought along. I had to resort to using one of the England flags that the landlord had distributed to people as a cloak for extra warmth. The garden is nicely revamped but he does not have any outdoor heaters yet.

Morris dancers still in lockdown.
28-Apr the terraces open here for drinking and eating outside. As ever with Rutte's government, it is a day late, as King's Day, a public holiday, is the 27th.

Just woke up and prepared a snack of olives and chorizo with a glass of German Blanc de Noir, that style of white wine with a touch of grape peel to give a very slight pink shade to it. A style that's out of fashion as too many people mistake these wines for rose.

28-Apr the terraces open here for drinking and eating outside. As ever with Rutte's government, it is a day late, as King's Day, a public holiday, is the 27th.

Just woke up and prepared a snack of olives and chorizo with a glass of German Blanc de Noir, that style of white wine with a touch of grape peel to give a very slight pink shade to it. A style that's out of fashion as too many people mistake these wines for rose.
Did Rutte relax things in time for the Muslims?

April 12th in UK meant it was in time for the start of Ramadan.

The one day of the year I’ll drink Fosters and the local grocery store didn’t have it. I tried to do my patriotic duty, but I’m far happier to have found some individual hipster IPA pint cans marked down from $10 to $3 each.

The one day of the year I’ll drink Fosters....
I use to really rate Fosters back when the use to import the draft lager, but that was before the brew-chem type technologies made most lagers bland and interchangeable. Use to like the Fosters Export in cans too. Then by the mid-1990s they were all brewing each others lagers, no imports and then they had those dreadful Ice lagers that were a weird fad of reducing brewing time and quality, but marketed as the complete opposite.

Having my second serving of Lustau Oroloso Don Nuno, I'm liking it much more than the first tasting. I like the bait and switch of the sweet, nutty nose and then the bone dry taste. It is kind of amusing how I've stayed to the outskirts of wine by drinking port and now sherry without ever really wanting to drink wine itself.

Having my second serving of Lustau Oroloso Don Nuno, I'm liking it much more than the first tasting. I like the bait and switch of the sweet, nutty nose and then the bone dry taste. It is kind of amusing how I've stayed to the outskirts of wine by drinking port and now sherry without ever really wanting to drink wine itself.
You change as you get older. I was very Brit at one time, not drinking with the meal, but only afterwards. Or heavy lager drinking before going for an Indian or Chinese meal very late in the evening.

At the moment, I am very much into South African wines and I am exploring far and taking risks:

Everyone knows that young New World wines, particularly Australian ones can be cheap and nasty, especially for export, whilst saving the good stuff for home consumption. The South Africans need better currency and so good stuff gets out, like the above youthful wine.

You change as you get older. I was very Brit at one time, not drinking with the meal, but only afterwards. Or heavy lager drinking before going for an Indian or Chinese meal very late in the evening.

At the moment, I am very much into South African wines and I am exploring far and taking risks:

Everyone knows that young New World wines, particularly Australian ones can be cheap and nasty, especially for export, whilst saving the good stuff for home consumption. The South Africans need better currency and so good stuff gets out, like the above youthful wine.
South African pinotage did not appeal. Mind you it was Lidl bargain basement version. I liked their previous South African wine of the week. It had a nice picture of an African animal on the label like many good wines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom