Its The Economy, Stupid - Economic & Business News From Around The World

“By serving in top positions of Kremlin-affiliated corporations, the former Austrian Foreign Minister Karin Kneissl and former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder are de facto closely cooperating with Russia,”

Yeah I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise, I've beat that drum for years myself. But there's definitely myriad societal issues that causes broad parts of both our countries to spend lots of money on shit food. From food deserts in black neighborhoods to cultural miasma in the white trash segment.
And the newest developments - the lack of time to be able to cook meals due to having to work multiple jobs in the household so no one has time to cook. Coupled that with the fact that it’s often cheaper to get shitty food or gas food than it is a healthy meal while wages haven’t risen in decades.

Even more disturbing- in the UK at least- people have to choose between heating and eating.
For instance, there is a food bank close to my home I drop stuff at every week or so and I chat to the volunteers every now and again lately they have appealed that cans or equivalent donations that people don't have to use gas/electricity to heat up is preferable as certain unfortunates have simply turned off their gas/electricity as they can't afford it.

This is in 21st century UK.

Even more disturbing- in the UK at least- people have to choose between heating and eating.
For instance, there is a food bank close to my home I drop stuff at every week or so and I chat to the volunteers every now and again lately they have appealed that cans or equivalent donations that people don't have to use gas/electricity to heat up is preferable as certain unfortunates have simply turned off their gas/electricity as they can't afford it.

Didn't this come up recently when some old lady had to ride the bus all day to keep warm because she doesn't have money to heat her home?

I remember on Sky some Tory cabinet member said you should go see your local councillor and there's a special fund set up to help those in need with heat and electricity.

“It’s really hard to understand how an American consulting firm ... would want to be involved in sensitive areas of the Russian defense or intelligence or scientific establishment. And when you talk about Rostec, you’re talking about all of those mixtures,”

It's not hard at all. It's McKinsey. If they can make money selling sand to countries in the Sahara desert then they will.

One of the missus friend's sister was married to a tattoo artist living in Spain and it all went pear shaped during the late 2000's Great Recession and they lost the home they were renting out here in the Netherlands, he ran-off and she ended-up carrying the can and was bankrupt with the kids. She ended up having to use food banks here in the Netherlands and apparently you can eat extremely well with all the supermarkets donating food. Whether that's the same now, I don't know.

The cost of living crisis in the UK and elsewhere is a wake up call to how fragile the modernity we have constructed is.
It's not hard at all. It's McKinsey. If they can make money selling sand to countries in the Sahara desert then they will.
Those consultancies, it's hard for me to understand what they bring to an organisation, often they're engaged in vague improvement initiatives that are really a front for the upcoming merger project.
Was speaking to a Brit colleague last week and he said the costs of food are going up every week. Here, other than petrol, I don't see much difference. But those who haven't locked themselves into long term energy contracts are getting energy costs doubling.

And this is the crux of the matter: no cheap energy means hand to mouth existence and no travel, except once in a lifetime. We are back peddling on freedom and standards of living and it could get very nasty indeed. Better drink your Victory Gin and be happy, for you own nothing, not even your clothes and you share a nice pod with a bathroom used by 20 others...

And this is the crux of the matter: no cheap energy means hand to mouth existence and no travel, except once in a lifetime. We are back peddling on freedom and standards of living and it could get very nasty indeed. Better drink your Victory Gin and be happy, for you own nothing, not even your clothes and you share a nice pod with a bathroom used by 20 others...
And why do we have these particular conditions? Why can’t we have cheap energy?

And why do we have these particular conditions? Why can’t we have cheap energy?
We have cheap energy...but we choose to curtail, ration, or offshore it to Putin.

Before the industry revolution and the mills, it might take several days labour for enough cotton or wool to be processed to make a shirt. If a shirt takes seven days to make in labour time, it makes it expensive. You might only own one or two, it's that costly.

That's reality.

We need cheap energy and the products of the petro-chemical industry to keep modernity afloat. We continue on this road, there will be rationing, famine and war.

We have cheap energy...but we choose to curtail, ration, or offshore it to Putin.

Before the industry revolution and the mills, it might take several days labour for enough cotton or wool to be processed to make a shirt. If a shirt takes seven days to make in labour time, it makes it expensive. You might only own one or two, it's that costly.

That's reality.

We need cheap energy and the products of the petro-chemical industry to keep modernity afloat. We continue on this road, there will be rationing, famine and war.
Ok and what about profit levels?

"HSBC has reportedly suspended a senior executive who accused central bankers and other officials of exaggerating the financial risks of climate change.

Last week, Stuart Kirk, a leader in the bank's responsible investing team, said: 'There's always some nut job telling me about the end of the world.'"

I can completely see this conversation taking place on this forum.

"Starbucks said it will pay its nearly 2,000 Russian workers for six months and help them transition to new opportunities outside of the coffee chain."

Don't forget to pay in rouble.

Now that I've stopped drinking, I have come to realize how heavily everyone relies on alcohol.
without drugs and alcohol life you start to look at life under a sobering new light. and that, is not something most people can deal with.

He wasn't terribly accurate last time around.

"Derivatives did not cause the financial crisis and the financial instruments remain a large business for JPMorgan Chase & Co JPM.N Chief Executive Jamie Dimon said in his annual letter to shareholders."...2009

Starting to unravel....

And as Royal Dutch Shell pointed out before they headquartered to London, many of these ESG investment funds are not transparent and who exactly is ultimately behind them? Hint...Russia and China.

Starting to unravel....

And as Royal Dutch Shell pointed out before they headquartered to London, many of these ESG investment funds are not transparent and who exactly is ultimately behind them? Hint...Russia and China.
Lol. No.

Also, funny you quote Zero Hedge, which is actually funded by Russia

"
The report's authors expect a partial EU embargo on Russian oil to cut revenues by some $36bn a year, for example. Exports of gas have already fallen dramatically - and there are plans to reduce Europe's reliance on Russia still further.

Yet embargoes have to be effective. The report points out that more and more Russian oil is being exported to India for refining. And some of those refined products are finding their way back onto European markets.

Since refined products are not covered by the EU ban, this is a clear potential loophole"

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom