Money and Wardrobe

AI had nothing to do with the crisis, as I was still in high school. I make an honest living, as I don't talk to corporates or retail. The guys I talk to all are highly educated and very smart, and know very well what kind of risks they are/aren't taking.

jajajajajajalololz

Jimmdog is our resident social critic and piss taker. I think he does a pretty good job keeping us from taking ourselves too seriously myself.

gufasd,

When you say SZ do you mean the typical all black goth ninja drop crotch rick? I don't think I've ever seen anyone make a transition from that style to anything remotely CM. Can you explain the style transition you're in?

Bespoke definitely offers a benefit for more structured jackets, but in my experience with unstructured all I ever really need my non-bespoke tailor to do is take in the back and the sleeves and I'm content.

This is true as well. A lot of the unstructured Ivy style jackets I have are NOS off the peg gear. Works very well.

I think someone in their early to mid twenties would be insane to drop tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, or the rack or not. When I was 25 I was a heavy equipment operator so my wardrobe was biased to Dickies and t shirts. Even if I had been an office drone I would have been a Jos. A customer. This is why in my late 30's my house is paid off. Sinking ginormous amounts of income into disposable items, because in your 20's, that's what clothes are, is silly.

Man, you are millennial as hell. And possibly Foo.

You can live for today and tomorrow. Living for today is cheap. Booze, drugs and women and you pretty much have it sorted. Clothes aren't "living for today", they are just stuff. Living is experiences, and seeing as you don't like tailoring houses, you aren't even getting that experience from your clothes.

What is SZ anyway?

gufasd, take the quiz:

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/how-millennial-are-you/

More seriously, there is a milennial thread here that between the snark there is some discussion and I've even put up links to research on the generation.

Dealing with Milennials on a daily basis has at least anecdotally confirmed that the belief system, expectations and behaviour have changed compared to previous generations.

Back to wardrobe. One think you exhibit that other do not is you pay attention to fit given that you refer to measuring and deconstructing trousers.

Frankly, if you are given only to wearing unstructured odd jackets, keep on doing what you are doing.

I would be interested to hear what about me screams millennial or foo to you

Statements like this.

I disagree that drugs (including alcohol) and women are either cheap or a good idea. They are temporary vices that cause for your tomorrow to be degraded at the cost of momentary pleasure. This cost is both immense in that you pay for the vice both now with your money and time, and with drugs possibly legally, and later. The cost later includes various issues such as possible health problems such as addiction or diseases, possible allegations from women as seen in cases such as DSK and the plethora of sexual harassment allegations in industry, and with lost opportunity. The time you spend on these vices could be better spent on self improvement, learning a new skill, practicing something to get better, or actually doing something that allows you to have more than a momentary pleasure.

I fear for our youth.

So you fear for people who choose not to indulge in vices of the last century? Because I dont see how drugs or women are not vices, and you have yet to make a counterpoint to my statements.

Yes, because you aren't listening to people who have experience (and also because these aren't necessarily vices, and it's hilarious to characterize them as only from the last century). You are being Foo2 right now.

I find it interesting you think GenX is like the millennial, given they are pretty much polar opposite. The Baby Boomer and Millennial are the doppelgangers you are looking for.

I'm around 90% sure you are Foo now.

I ignore what some people say about things that I personally have experience with, how is that foolish? What makes their experience more relevant than my experiences?

Because they have had a lot more of those experiences than you. Remember this started with you asking about bespoke tailoring, and then you telling us why it wasn't what we were saying. You don't know what you don't know yet. When you posit things like you have your house paid off out of college shows you have no concept of the vast experience of the world, because you wouldn't use this as an example. Making a half million dollars in college is obviously a statistical anomaly and isn't germane to philosophical questions of spending habits.

I say the last century as with drugs most of the recreational drugs widely used, save alcohol, have been synthesized in the past hundred years (or made widely available in the western world). And would you not agree that modern alterations in sexuality and etiquette have occurred in the last century?

Weed, blow and opiates have been around from time immemorial. Those are still the biggies to this day. And modern alterations? Sure. We have gotten way more uptight and prudish. Over the course of history man was more more licentious. I'm still flabbergasted anyone would publish the sentence that women are a vice on the internet.

Never thought I'd see the day we'd have to encourage a twenty something to chase pussy.

gufasd,

Since you don't live in a tropical climate, I believe you need a good assortment of sport coats to be taken seriously on a menswear forum. You say you only wear a shirt mostly, what do you wear when it's cold out? Only full-length overcoats?

Excluding winter and freezing weather, you just wear sweaters? Where's the sartorial fun in that?

I ignore what some people say about things that I personally have experience with, how is that foolish? What makes their experience more relevant than my experiences?

Sorry, I had to laugh at this; it is as if Foo were explaining his SOP. I'm just having some fun.

I'll agree about the alteration of sexual behaviour being a last century thing. All except pegging, I blame you kids for that. Mostly the LGBT Hipster Milennials.

Damn bearded, tattooed, drop crotch wearing peggers, popping Ectasy & sucking on passifiers at raves in Majorca.

TGIF

I'm sorry, I was unaware that having friends die and go to jail from drugs is meaningless.

straw-man.jpg

Toodles kid. Congrats on being the smartest person ever in the history of the world.

No, I have no aversion to girls. I just find that in the feminist regime that is my workplace the risks from interactions with girls are not worth the return. Yes, it can be fun. But no, I have no interest in fleeting physical pleasure that ends in me losing my job and being blacklisted. I'm quite happy living for myself, climbing mountains and living vivaciously without intoxicants.
Don't shit where you eat, son.

No, in the summer I wear mostly goth ninja. Along the lines of rick or bbs tees and drop crotch shorts or pants from julius or rick. Then sometimes I have to wear work clothes if I'm doing research so waders and waterproof clothing. In the spring and fall I wear a mix of stuff, ranging from trousers and shirts to more subdued goth ninja clothing. Then as it gets colder I transition into wearing mainly trousers and button-front shirts, with sweaters if it gets colder. I have tons of amazing sweaters so winter is my favorite time of year. Throughout all of this I wear a bunch of Yohji, so overall I have a blast getting dressed.

It's difficult for me to see continuity in the wardrobe you're describing, will you be posting fitpics in the future?

How do I tell the difference between a beta and a gay? Neither goes after girls, both have platonic relationships with females. Whats the difference?

rambo - When you work 80 or more hours a week there are few other places to go meet people.
I can understand the compulsion but its not worth it. There's always the weekend. Just find someone who is as busy as you and enjoy the little time you kids can be together.

Thanks. Now I just need to get another camera, the iphone sucks for fit pics.

Which iPhone? With the right app its actually not bad. You just need to get someone from the office, or embrace the dirty office bathroom shot of your SF brethren.

/Beta reporting in

Beta: Fuck!

/Beta signing out

dayam, i'm drivin' and textin' & readin' that made me drop my joint which caused me to spill my Bud King Can between my thighs! that commenced the three ho's in the back seat to start gigglin'. i curse my generation.

dayam, i'm drivin' and textin' & readin' that made me drop my joint which caused me to spill my Bud King Can between my thighs! that commenced the three ho's in the back seat to start gigglin'. i curse my generation.
Aren't you Canadian? Shouldn't that be a Molson XXX Can?

won't drink Molson since it merged with Coors. Bud was on sale.

How about Moosehead? I used to sail for one of the owners on his 52. Guy actually got murdered, really crazy scene. No conviction yet, but they think the son did it.

How about Moosehead? I used to sail for one of the owners on his 52. Guy actually got murdered, really crazy scene. No conviction yet, but they think the son did it.

Moosehead is good beer. Crazy case. still in preliminary hearings to see if there is enough evidence to go to trial. Closing arguments were to be last week or so but the judge was ill

Moosehead is good beer. Crazy case. still in preliminary hearings to see if there is enough evidence to go to trial.

It's been interminably long. I heard that actually had to raise taxes to pay for the investigation. St John is pretty podunk.

Those last two posts seem quite nonsensical. I use the iPhone 5 Rambo, what app do you suggest?
Maybe try Camera+? It allows you to adjust focus, white balance, and all that photography shit that I don't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom