Odd Things Seen Daily By Me

The building management in my office knows me on a first name basis. This is strange because this particular weekend security person - I've never met him (at least I don't remember meeting him) and really the only one who knows me is this young Asian chap. This either means I come in too many times on the weekend or I'm the only in this office building with a blue blazer, grey trousers, pocket square and an open collar dress shirt on a Sunday.
 
Why do people - especially tourists and convention goers - seem to think it is possible to walk four abreast in an urban environment in a straight line? It won't kill you and you won't get lost if you go two by two or veer off the sidewalk.
 
Why do people - especially tourists and convention goers - seem to think it is possible to walk four abreast in an urban environment in a straight line? It won't kill you and you won't get lost if you go two by two or veer off the sidewalk.
you don't go to the indoor mall much, do you?
 
Homeless people dismantling smoker's poles or the cigarette butt disposal of a rubbish bin to light up half used cigarettes. It causes quite a mess.
 
Flew to Regina this morning to do some work. Get into the cab and give the cabbie the address. He picks up his mobile and pushes it in my face and says:

"Say address"

"What?"

"Say address"

"OK. 2800 Broad Street"

He's asking me to say the address for Google maps. This is not going to be good. I do it.

"Yes. We go"

Driving. Google map chick is giving directions. Only he is not following them.

"She said 'left on Louvan'"

"Yes Sir"

"But you turned right"

"Yes Sir"

"No, not 'yes', you turned the wrong way"

"Yes Sir"

"Yes, you turned the way or you have no idea what I just said?"

"Yes Sir"

"Oh for fuck's sake"

"Yes Sir"

"No, turn around"

"Yes sir"

"You are not turning around"

"Yes Sir"

"Turn around"

"Yes sir"

And he turns right. From the middle lane. Tires screech and honking ensures.

We sort of get back on track with me yelling at him to follow Google Map Chick's instructions. Not good. But he keeps missing turns and we have to cut up side streets to get back on route.

"Turn off the meter"

"Yes sir"

"So turn off the meter. I'm not paying for you to drive in circles."

We almost get into 3 accidents as he is pushing buttons on the meter to try and turn it off.

Ugh. This is going to be a long day.
 
Flew to Regina this morning to do some work. Get into the cab and give the cabbie the address. He picks up his mobile and pushes it in my face and says:

"Say address"

"What?"

"Say address"

"OK. 2800 Broad Street"

He's asking me to say the address for Google maps. This is not going to be good. I do it.

"Yes. We go"

Driving. Google map chick is giving directions. Only he is not following them.

"She said 'left on Louvan'"

"Yes Sir"

"But you turned right"

"Yes Sir"

"No, not 'yes', you turned the wrong way"

"Yes Sir"

"Yes, you turned the way or you have no idea what I just said?"

"Yes Sir"

"Oh for fuck's sake"

"Yes Sir"

"No, turn around"

"Yes sir"

"You are not turning around"

"Yes Sir"

"Turn around"

"Yes sir"

And he turns right. From the middle lane. Tires screech and honking ensures.

We sort of get back on track with me yelling at him to follow Google Map Chick's instructions. Not good. But he keeps missing turns and we have to cut up side streets to get back on route.

"Turn off the meter"

"Yes sir"

"So turn off the meter. I'm not paying for you to drive in circles."

We almost get into 3 accidents as he is pushing buttons on the meter to try and turn it off.

Ugh. This is going to be a long day.
hahahahaha. well at least you arrived mostly unscathed.
 
Seems to be the case all over the world - taxi drivers don't need to know where to go, what the roads are, even how to drive here.
 
My workplace spent $1M or something to renovate a floor into an employee lunch room/lounge. They also spent $2M or something punching holes to have a staircase. You are now banned from eating food in your office, desk or in the coffee pantry (we call them café areas). There was a big discussion what is considered food and what is considered a snack. Anything heated is food. A sandwich, which can be cold, is considered food. A slice of cheese or a piece of fruit is considered snack. You can only imagine how long this discussion can go on for.

As a result the microwaves from all the floors in our buildings have been moved to the lounge to make a bank of microwaves that would make 7/11 envious. There is only one dishwasher in the lounge unless those will be confiscated from other floors. There are 400-500 people in this building that will make use of the lounge which is open for lunch only from 11:30-14:30. After that, the lounge can be booked for parties such as a baby shower.

My department does not have direct access to the lounge floor nor can we walk this magical staircase as our lift only goes to 18. We have to go down to the lobby and cross over to get to the lounge.

Some of my staff work staggered hours too so I don't know how it will work if they are cleaning up the lounge and my two directs need to heat up their dinner - again by going down to the lobby, crossing over, taking another lift up.

Of course you can resolve all this by eating cold food from the fridge or just going out to eat or bringing your food to a food court downstairs in one of the many office buildings.
 
You could stop whingeing and just eat your sandwich on the toilet.
 
My workplace spent $1M or something to renovate a floor into an employee lunch room/lounge. They also spent $2M or something punching holes to have a staircase. You are now banned from eating food in your office, desk or in the coffee pantry (we call them café areas). There was a big discussion what is considered food and what is considered a snack. Anything heated is food. A sandwich, which can be cold, is considered food. A slice of cheese or a piece of fruit is considered snack. You can only imagine how long this discussion can go on for.

As a result the microwaves from all the floors in our buildings have been moved to the lounge to make a bank of microwaves that would make 7/11 envious. There is only one dishwasher in the lounge unless those will be confiscated from other floors. There are 400-500 people in this building that will make use of the lounge which is open for lunch only from 11:30-14:30. After that, the lounge can be booked for parties such as a baby shower.

My department does not have direct access to the lounge floor nor can we walk this magical staircase as our lift only goes to 18. We have to go down to the lobby and cross over to get to the lounge.

Some of my staff work staggered hours too so I don't know how it will work if they are cleaning up the lounge and my two directs need to heat up their dinner - again by going down to the lobby, crossing over, taking another lift up.

Of course you can resolve all this by eating cold food from the fridge or just going out to eat or bringing your food to a food court downstairs in one of the many office buildings.
So eating a cold smelly tin of sardines at your desk would be OK?
Can you have a coffee at your desk?
 
You could stop whingeing and just eat your sandwich on the toilet.

I reckon if it's on one of the floors where we are the only tenant the toilets are still part of the office. Now on those floors like mine where there are other tenants, the toilets are shared. That creates a dilemma.
So eating a cold smelly tin of sardines at your desk would be OK?
Can you have a coffee at your desk?

"Smelly" foods, as our Canadian CEO said, are automatically considered food and cannot be consumed at your desk.

Coffee is okay even the Starbucks ones that have enough cream, froth, chocolate as a meal. Instant noodles cooked with the electric kettle are not. Reckon that goes the same for instant soup.

Luckily there is no rule around alcohol consumption yet, although now that I don't have an office anymore there isn't much place to store a collection. Do you think peaty whisky wafting over a wall is considered "smelly"? Or does it just smell like Scottish bogs like Febreze?
 
A janitor at a high school tried to forcibly remove me from the school last night after he learned my usual volleyball was cancelled and that I "didn't belong there." I was on the phone with the president of the volleyball company while he was coming after me but I didn't let him touch me. I continued the phone call while I was outside on public sidewalk but then the janitor came outside and noticed him making a phone call looking at me. Just had the feeling he was calling the cops on me so I walked away quickly.
 
Please - how was he dressed and how were you dressed.
 
you had hoodie?

No wonder he asked you to leave dressed like that
 
you had hoodie?

No wonder he asked you to leave dressed like that

No, kinda looked like and reminded me of the big overweight black cop who ticketed me for jaywalking. Reverse privilege discrimination.
 
There's an older bloke with salt and pepper hair who gets on the train at my parents' stop every rush hour with one of the foldable bicycles. Even if the train is crowded, he usually puts the bicycle in a corner where people stand and then proceeds to find a seat. He's not by any count crippled and I'd say is healthy enough to stand for 25 minutes on an express train. Why are you so lazy you're always looking for a place to sit to do your crossword if you're so healthy you cycle in the city? It's baffling and inconsistent.
 
He's not cycling if he's on train. Does he cycle one block or something.

There's a woman I see - some mornings - I don't always catch same train - she's around 40 - moderately well/corporate dressed. Has one of those aluminium scooters. I always wonder why - seems immature to me.
 
The only restaurant open up in La Ronge tonight is a lounge. The food is greasy and it is full of drunken Indians - sorry Fwiffo Fwiffo , indigenous aboriginal Canadians - They keep feeding the jukebox playing Prism's greatest hits including Take Me to the Captain & Spaceship Superstar. Now it is Bon Jovi "Wanted Dead or Alive". Now they are all screaming the words.

Actually I kinda like it. Another pint of Keith's please.
 
Ah, too good to be true.

"Can you buy me a beer? I have no more money"
 
The drunks are getting sullen.

"He Stipped Living Her Today"

Bartender says to me on the way out "oh god, all they need is a dull knife to slit their wrists"
 
Was asked to fill in a survey today. This was question 5:

2016-11-14_10-03-07.webp


Triggered.

And I am writing a complaint to Roy Morgan about the use of buttons instead of check boxes for this question. Why should I be pigeon-holed into just one of the above options? What if I'm male on Mondays and unspecified on Wednesdays? Who the fuck is Roy Morgan to judge ME?

Fucking Trump.
 
The drunks are getting sullen.

"He Stipped Living Her Today"

Bartender says to me on the way out "oh god, all they need is a dull knife to slit their wrists"
I think you are drunk with stubby fingers on phone.
He Stopped Loving Her Today - by George - is one of my favourite songs.
 
If I was in that bar and they had "He Stopped Loving Her Today" on the juke box - I know who I'd be drinking (and singing) with - and it wouldn't be some old sour faced hippy in tailor made clothes reading forums on his fancy smart phone

 
If I was in that bar and they had "He Stopped Loving Her Today" on the juke box - I know who I'd be drinking (and singing) with - and it wouldn't be some old sour faced hippy in tailor made clothes reading forums on his fancy smart phone



Good song. Bad crowd.
 
The only restaurant open up in La Ronge tonight is a lounge. The food is greasy and it is full of drunken Indians - sorry Fwiffo Fwiffo , indigenous aboriginal Canadians

The Globe writes aboriginals and there's literally an article every day about them. When I was in school they taught me Indian is a derogatory term. In fact, I was taught not to use West Indies because Europeans (again) buggered up trying to find a route to the brown people.
 
I reckon this is daily in my industry.

One of my wonderful lady friends goes to work and finds her boss' boss sitting in her cubicle. He tells her that the cedant numbers are missing for these policies because the person who is responsible for things reinsured by this outside firm was fired. She is ordered to produce what money must go to the reinsurer and what is kept in house with little idea of what that person did, and no contact. This book of business is important and the chief honcho will know about it if we lose coverage.

She dutifully goes and does her job until lunch time when he returns and says he is now going to lunch with said counterpart and some rough numbers ought to be available by the end of lunch. Wet lunch is a delaying tactic. After a two and half hour lunch, both stumble back to her desk and the counterpart introduces himself, "I'm Brett" breathing his alcohol on her. The boss' boss says this is the angel that will get you what you want and asks if the numbers are ready and she asks for an extension. They decide to knock off for another drink in his office and wait for her to finish late afternoon. Her lonely sandwich isn't touched until 1600.

I'm in a grand industry aren't I?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom