Odd Things Seen Daily By Me

The underground subway stations here are converting over to contactless transit fare cards. Obviously a lot of stations were retrofitted. Some stations have the top up kiosk behind the gate. How am I supposed to top up behind the gate if I am out funds?!

When the weird starts getting normal, it's time to make a deliberate jump out of that reality. Change your routine: take a different route, alter timing, go to different places, or stay in the office and have apple instead. A couple of days of this and the freaks will all disappear.

I picked up a hitchhiker on Monday for the first time in maybe 20 years. Aboriginal guy in his 40's.

His ride he had was broken down on the highway pretty much in the middle of nowhere on the way to Indian Country.

He had made his way from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario to this point (about 2300 km - I looked it up).

Was going to visit his dad in La Loche.

Drove with him for about 200 km to where I was going. Gave him some smokes and the rest of my KFC. He still had 100 km to go.

I cant remember when I last even saw a hitchhiker. Let alone picked one up.

I picked up two hitch hikers late at night many years ago. They were both very pretty.
Boofymop1-4.jpg

Saw a guy in a grey suit, navy tie, white shirt with double cuffs and sandals...

People who jaywalk right in front of police including ones who are directing traffic at an intersection. You're gagging it for it if you do that yes?

She saw you reflected in a shop window?

Saw her again this morning. She was walking briskly with an LV handbag like a normal person except of course her face is all wrapped up in some kind of scarf.

I came at the height of lunch hour and I'm sitting near what is a service exit to bin rubbish at this popular restaurant. Some woman left a stroller here and I thought that was due to the lack of space in this communal high top and exposed brick place. She left her child and the stroller here and pops by to entertain the toddler in between bites (and drinks?) whilst myself and the service staff coming into her line of sight entertain her. Who the bloody hell does that?

I came at the height of lunch hour and I'm sitting near what is a service exit to bin rubbish at this popular restaurant. Some woman left a stroller here and I thought that was due to the lack of space in this communal high top and exposed brick place. She left her child and the stroller here and pops by to entertain the toddler in between bites (and drinks?) whilst myself and the service staff coming into her line of sight entertain her. Who the bloody hell does that?
A single mom?

You are asking who leave their (infant?) child in the stroller outside of a restaurant, while they are inside? Everybody does that here.

Of course not. Pretty sure it was not ideal for her either - and she did check in with the kid. And hey, you where there taking nanny duties, so no problem :)

Fwiffo Fwiffo , why do you Canadian corporate types wear your lanyards and name tags after the conference at the bar?

Fucking irritating Anglos. I'm at the Chateau Frontenac. I have to feign being Quebecquois So I don't have to interact with them.

Fwiffo Fwiffo , why do you Canadian corporate types wear your lanyards and name tags after the conference at the bar?

Fucking irritating Anglos. I'm at the Chateau Frontenac. I have to feign being Quebecquois So I don't have to interact with them.

I don't even wear it during the conference. If I have to, I clip it on the side of my lapel and then when introductions are over I put them in my left outside jacket pocket. I'm not a prisoner nor a military serviceman so I don't particularly feel like I need a dogtag.

Does anyone want to bet Airbnb is operating here? This is one of three lamp posts on my back street.

IMG_0685.JPG

get some new glasses you peasant

correct. they're usually used for realtors but these airbnb bums use them for their frequent guests.

I've never seen those before. Over here someone comes by to hand you the keys, to make it less obvious. Those things don't look very sturdy either. Can't an enterprising burgler just steal everything?

I've never seen those before. Over here someone comes by to hand you the keys, to make it less obvious. Those things don't look very sturdy either. Can't an enterprising burgler just steal everything?
how would they know which keys go to which house? those lock boxes are usually pretty sturdy as well.

how would they know which keys go to which house? those lock boxes are usually pretty sturdy as well.

Think it's apartments, not houses. Just give it a try. If anyone asks you can just pretend to be an airbnber who forgot his apt number.

Or, if you want to annoy the airbnbers, some small bolt cutters should cut through that lock easily. Just take all the lock boxes and throw them in the trash. Professional, full time airbnb should be banned anyways.

They are for the buildings in my 7 acre mini city block - 2x60 floor towers, 2x30 floor towers, 2x16 floor towers. Beforehand, the concierge in the 60 floor towers were handing out resident keys but it got annoying as every day there would be a queue of half dozen of people with rollerbags waiting to check in or out of their Airbnb.

Those lamp posts have been knocked down before by construction vehicles. There's only one vacant spot left in the block for construction so it could happen again.

They are for the buildings in my 7 acre mini city block - 2x60 floor towers, 2x30 floor towers, 2x16 floor towers. Beforehand, the concierge in the 60 floor towers were handing out resident keys but it got annoying as every day there would be a queue of half dozen of people with rollerbags waiting to check in or out of their Airbnb.

Those lamp posts have been knocked down before by construction vehicles. There's only one vacant spot left in the block for construction so it could happen again.

How does it feel to live in a makeshift hotel? Why do these people go on vacation in Toronto anyways?

What you need is a peasants entrance. Keep them out of your face.

Why not just go out every few weeks and cut all those locks off and toss them in the sea or garbage.

How does it feel to live in a makeshift hotel? Why do these people go on vacation in Toronto anyways?

It's for the other buildings I mentioned. I'm in the older 16 floor building (second oldest on this block). I don't see too many obvious Airbnb people. I live across from the Marriott and convention centre so when it comes convention time I do see some folks with dog tags and luggage in the lobby or lift. I'd say every two weeks or so I accidentally open the door for an Airbnb tenant struggling to figure out how to gain entrance into the lobby. My neighbour is an Italian woman who travels for work so I rarely see her and across from me is a retired couple with a dog.

What you need is a peasants entrance. Keep them out of your face.

Alas I do not live in one of those places called Ritz, Shangri La, Four Seasons nor Trump Tower so there is no "Private Residence" entrance and doorman.

Why not just go out every few weeks and cut all those locks off and toss them in the sea or garbage.

...because I respect people's rights to participate in capitalism as long as it doesn't bother me.

...because I respect people's rights to participate in capitalism as long as it doesn't bother me.
Fuck em - the so called disruptive economy is just dodging the rules and taking advantage of the collective politeness (aka civilised behaviour).

Fuck em - the so called disruptive economy is just dodging the rules and taking advantage of the collective politeness (aka civilised behaviour).

Is it bothering you mate? If it isn't, I don't understand the vehemence.

Flip the analogy around. I am accosted on my walk to work at least twice a week by people who target the 'businessman' for donations to Africa or some horrible genetic disease. I'm never going to Africa and I don't have nor do I know anyone with that disease. Do I suddenly start caring for their causes? No, I don't give a toss about it.

Why do you care about disruptor companies if they don't bother you? Just take a regular taxi, your livery vehicle service instead of Uber.

I guess Uber isn't pulling out of this market.

IMG_20170627_184313.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to get impatient with people walking whilst staring at their mobile. Often times I can spot them a few meters behind because they're slow, have a tendency to walk into objects and they don't look up when they walk. It's like coming from behind up to a distracted driver.

On Friday, I was approaching two sets of double doors. People here have the good sense to stay on the right and use that set of doors. These two Indian chaps decide to pause right at the doorway, turn to face each other, and one of them starts trying to send something or share something on his mobile. Another lady whom I believe is blind from staring at her iPhone walks slowly right up to the two Indians. Because she is blocked, she literally just stands there continuing to do whatever mission critical thing she is doing on her mobile and oblivious to the fact that she could have bypassed these two idiots by swinging over to the other set of doors - which is what I did after observing that.

What is so important that people keep doing this? Are people sending and receiving the cure for cancer? The solution to heat death of the universe? The formula to unlock unlimited fusion energy?

There is this 'older' gent on the train - say 40-50 range. He has elected to shave the sides and back of his head down to what I think is clipper size 0 because it's bare. Too much GQ? His crown is thinning so he has kept that to almost half an inch. Then he takes all of his hair from the vertex to the front and combs it forward. Except he's thinning mid scalp so all you see are strands of hair coming directly forward with a good 2-3cm separation between each gelled bunch of hair. At his hairline in the front he decided to use gel and gather short bunches of hair and spike it up. He doesn't have any density so it's pretty bare between each bunch.

How he looks at the mirror and walks out every day thinking I look great is beyond me.

I'm on the train to go 100km to see an old work mate of mine. Why are people bringing out snacks and the most pungent of foods? People can't go 90 minutes to 2 hours without food?! And they ask why people are obese these days.

The missus and the youngest came in from the shops today and complained about one of the older employees in the Post Office giving a nasty glaring look to the youngest. Well, you use to get this type of thing in certain places in the UK back in the late 70s and early 80s. When I first came here the vibe did remind me of the UK in those years, perhaps its still the same in parts: a nasty job worth jealous of youth and just about everything.

Funnily enough, I went out to get some Heineken Vers i.e. Fresh this afternoon and I parked off the main road in a side street that has parking only for residents. This chap came up to me and said there was a €100 fine for non-residents, so I told him that I would take the risk this time, but thanks anyway. Then he launched into a diatribe about kids playgrounds and the risk to them. Before I parked this chap was busy moving his super large 4x4 and also his business van and I noticed there's a few business vehicles on this street. So the kid stuff was pure nonsense and clearly the local council has no problem with issuing parking permits to business vehicles bordering on trucks.

You know things are going to rat shit when they're giving out parking permits in a very small town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom